About the Lecture
In 1858, Jacob Hamblin found a spring on a narrow strip of land between the Grand Canyon and the Nevada border and called the oasis Pipe Spring. Presenter John A. Peterson will tell the story of Mormon pioneers who established a large cattle ranch there, which the Church eventually bought. In the 1880s and 1890s, the ranch became a refuge for Latter-day Saint polygamous families. The Paiute Indians also maintained a presence in the area. In 1923 the United States government set aside the Pipe Spring property as a national monument.
John A. Peterson currently teaches at the University of Utah Institute of Religion. He has obtained three degrees in History—a Bachelor of Arts from Utah State University, a Master of Arts from BYU, and a Ph.D. from Arizona State University. He has been an adjunct faculty member at BYU, an archivist for the Church Historical Department, and a tour director to Europe and Latter-day Saint Church history sites. He has also worked as a seminary principal, instructor, and CES coordinator in Arizona and as a seminary instructor in Utah.
For more information, call 1-801-240-2272.