Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints first came to California when the Brooklyn arrived in July 1846. Missionary work occurred in the state off-and-on for decades and an official mission was finally organized in August 1892.
In early 1895 the mission headquarters moved from 118 Tenth Street to 417 Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco, California.
Towards the end of the year, the mission headquarters then moved to 538 McAllister Street, San Francisco.
In August of 1897, mission headquarters moved to 915 Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco.
By 1902 the mission home was located at 939 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco, California. In 1903 it was located at 609 Franklin St., San Francisco. The earthquake of 8 April 1906 devastated San Francisco and prompted a move of the mission home to Los Angeles at 516 Temple St.
Headquarters move and boundaries
By April 1911 the mission headquarters were located at 767 16th Street, Oakland. However, by the end of the year they had moved to 724 Broderick Street, San Francisco.
By early 1913 the mission headquarters had moved to 423 W 10th Street, Los Angeles. It then moved to 153 W Adams Street, Los Angeles, around May 1913.
In 1919, the mission comprised the states of California, Nevada, and Arizona excluding the area covered by the stakes in St. Johns, Snowflake, St. Joseph, and Maricopa, Arizona, and part of the North Weber Stake that covered part of east-central Nevada.
The mission covered all of California, as well as parts of Arizona and Nevada.
There were 11 districts and 49 branches in the mission. Arizona contained one district and 11 branches, Nevada had one district and five branches, and California had nine districts and 33 branches.