The Eastern States Mission was organized on 6 May 1839 when John P. Greene was sent to New York City to preside over the Saints in that area. The mission was not officially discontinued, but work in the area was temporarily suspended in 1850, 1858, and 1869. The mission was formally reorganized in January 1893 from the Northern States and Southern States Missions.
In 1893, the Eastern States Mission was re-opened with headquarters at Brooklyn, New York.
in 1897 and 1898, the mission home was located at 50 Concord St., Brooklyn, New York.
In the spring of 1897, S. West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and W. Pennsylvania were added
The state of West Virginia was transferred to the new Middle States Mission in July 1902. It returned to the Eastern States Mission in August 1903 when the Middle States Mission was dissolved.
The mission home was located at 213 W 135th street, New York City, New York.
The mission headquarters was located at 33 W 126th Street, New York City, New York.
In 1918, it moved to 1140 Bedford Ave., Brooklyn, New York.
The New England Mission was organized from portions of the Eastern States Mission and Canadian Mission in September 1937. The states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island were split from the Eastern States Mission and became part of the New England Mission.
After the split, the Eastern States Mission was comprised of the New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Washington DC, and a small portion of northern West Virginia.
In 1936, the mission home moved to 155 Riverside Drive, New York City.
In 1949, the mission office moved to 973 Fifth Avenue in New York City and the mission boundaries were changed to include the state of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Arlington and Fairfax counties in Virginia.