Missionaries, under the leadership of Heber J. Grant, arrived in Japan on 12 August 1901. A few weeks later, on 1 September, President Grant dedicated the country for the preaching of the Gospel. Work continued until June 1924 when the First Presidency decided to close the mission. The mission president was released 31 July 1924 and the last missionaries departed on 7 August. The mission reopened in 1937 with headquarters in Honolulu, Hawaii.
The first group of missionaries arrive in Japan.
The mission home was located at No. 16 Kasumigao Kamachi, Yotusya, Tokyo, Japan.
Book of Mormon Printed
The first copies of the Book of Mormon in Japanese were printed in Tokyo.
The mission home was located at 81 Yakuojimae, Machi, Ushigome, Ku, Tokyo, Japan.
On 12 June 1924 the First Presidency published an announcement in the Improvement Era that the Japan Mission would be temporarily closed. Two weeks later a cablegram was received at mission headquarters stating that all missionaries were to withdraw from Japan temporarily. The following day a letter was received confirming the cablegram.
Most missionaries had been officially released by the end of July, with mission President Hilton A. Robertson being released 31 July. He then departed with the last group of missionaries on 7 August 1924.
The Japanese Mission was opened with headquarters in Honolulu, Hawaii, to proselyte to Japanese-speaking people in the islands.