Missionaries, under the leadership of Heber J. Grant, arrived in Japan on 12 August 1901. A few weeks later, on 1 September, President Grant dedicated the country for the preaching of the Gospel. Work continued until June 1924 when the First Presidency decided to close the mission. The mission president was released 31 July 1924 and the last missionaries departed on 7 August. The mission reopened in 1937 with headquarters in Honolulu, Hawaii.