The mission was split on 28 June 1902 to create the Middle States Mission. The new boundaries of the Southern States Mission changed to include only the states of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, North and South Carolina.
The Middle States Mission the closed in August 1903 and Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and Ohio once more came under the Southern States Mission.
The mission home was located at 711 Fairview Ave., Chattanooga, Tennessee.
In early 1920, the mission headquarters was moved from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to 371 East North Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia.
The states of Ohio was transferred to the Northern States Mission in 1926.
The East Central States Mission was organized 9 December 1928 from the Eastern States Mission and the Southern States Mission. The states of Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia were taken from the Southern States Mission. This left the mission with the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida.
In November 1960, the state of Florida was removed from the Southern States Mission and became the Florida Mission.