The First Presidency approved a proposal in 1902 to open a Bureau of Information on Temple Square to provide tourists with accurate information about the Church. The Bureau opened a small kiosk on August 4. A four-person committee under the First Council of Seventy worked with over 100 men and women who served part-time "home missions" at Temple Square. Benjamin Goddard was called to chair the committee. After two years a permanent building was built—the forerunner of all Church visitors’ centers. It was expanded three times before being replaced with the South Visitors’ Center in 1978.