Noah Rogers' Missionary Journal

Noah Rogers’ Missionary Journal

Having been set apart together with Addison Pratt, B. F. Grouard and Knowlton Hanks; to go to the South Sea Islands, we, in order to fulfill our ap¬pointment, we made ourselves ready and took leave of our families and friends in Nauvoo. On the first day of June Eighteen Hundred and Forty-three, about two o'clock in the day. We went on board of the Steamship “Mary Ann” for St. Louis, where we arrived on the Third about Ten o'clock A.M., where we saw Br. Brown. We went and see the Capt. of the Steam boat "UTICA”, who agreed to take us to Pittsburgh for One dollar a piece. He started without delay. We had a pleasant passage to Evansville, where Bro. Pratt left for Pleasant Garden, Indiana; the rest of us went on to Cincinnati, where we arrived on the 8th; about nine o'clock A.M.- Saw Bro. Lyman Wight there - was very glad to see him. We also saw Bro. Austin, Coles, and E. P. Stayner, and a company of Saints at Liverpool, Kentucky. We staid in Cincinnati about three hours, and then made our way for Pittsburgh, where we arrived on the twelfth day about Twelve o'clock. Brother Grouard left about Two o’clock the same day for Philadelphia. Brother Hans and myself staid in Pittsburgh until the fourteenth day, when we left far Philadelphia on board the Canal boat “DELAWARE” about Four o’clock P.M. We went on passed Lutzburgh, on the 15th about nine o’clock in the morning; - passed on until sundown when we passed through the tunnel of NEWHOPE; went on and arrived at Johnstown on the 16th, about twelve o’clock, where we lay until the 17th; in the afternoon, when a rail car and we were hurried out on the railroad, where we traveled some times by aid of steam and some times by the aid of horses up the mountains. We passed through a tunnel in the mountain and so on until we came to the foot of the incline plain No. Five, where we lay over Sunday the 18th.
On Monday morning the 19th we ascended to the summit of the mountains when we began to descend in the manner that we ascended i.e. by the aid of steam until we came to Heledaysburgh where we run into the Canal. - Pursued our journey - passed a -small town called Winburge.
Tuesday the 20th. Nothing of note this day. The 21st, we came to Susquehannah River; next, we came to Harrisburgh, the capital of Pennsylvania. On the 22nd, we arrived at Columbia early in the morning, tarried here all day. Next morning, the 23rd, we started on the railroad for Philadelphia; arrived there about six in the evening - found some of the Brethren - staid all night. Next day found Brother Grouard, the 24th, we staid in the City until the 29th, when it was agreed that Bro. Grouard and Hanks should go on, and that I should go into the country and wait for Bro. Pratt. Accordingly; I started for Downingtown, which was about 30 miles distant; arrived there that day; went to Br. Kettleman’s, staid over night and next day, the 30th, preached there that evening.
Went to Goshen the 2nd of July and attended Conference; Found Bro.
Shields and Moore there - organized a Branch there. Brother Moore delivered a discourse on the subject of the Book of Mormon. Staid over night, and next day held a prayer meeting in the evening.
On the 4th I went to Centerville in the State of Delaware, to Sister Mousley's; preached there that evening in the school house; staid there until the 6th, when I went to Wilmington. Went to Bro. Morton’s - Stayed over night. Then I went to Philadelphia, staid over night.
Sunday the 8th, went down to Navy Yard and preached there in the forenoon, and baptized four in the afternoon; attended meeting with Bro. Grant.
Monday the 10th, went to Burlington in the State of Now Jersey; went to Bro. Burns and staid until the 13th, when I went to Mount Holly to Bro. Brown's and Richard’s, where I staid until Saturday the 15th, when Bro. Pratt came to me. We then went to Shreesville, where there is a small branch of the Church. Preached there that evening and staid over night.
The 16th, went back to Burlington and preached at Six o'clock; staid over night; the next day we went to Now York to Bro. Mcleans and Everetts on Canall St. Visited some of the Brethren - staid until the 19th, when we went to Providence, Rhode Island; on the 20th of New Bedford, where we found Bro. Grouard; staid there until the 22nd when I and Br. Pratt went to Boston; staid over night at Br. Dudley's.
Sunday the 23rd, went to meeting, preached there in the forenoon. Bro. Pratt in the afternoon; Staid over night, the next morning Br. Pratt took stage for Wichester, N. E. I staid in Boston until the 25th, when I went to Winchester, where I found Br. Pratt at his mother’s. Br. Crosby came there and he preached there Saturday night; and I staid there until the Thirty-first day when Br. Crosby and myself went to Br. Harris's in South Orange in the State of Massachusetts. Staid over night August the 1st, went from there to the town of Wendell to Br. D. B. Crosby's; staid over night, the 3rd, then went to the center of the Town to Br. Mason Bues, staid over night, the next days, the 5th went to New Salem, to Bro. Russell’s and preached there in the evening. Next morning, the 4th, went back to South Orange to Bro. Harris’ and staid over night. On the 5th went back to Winchester to Mr. Pratt’s and found Br. Hanks there, very unwell. Bro. Crosby preached that evening. The next day, the 6th, it being Sunday, Mrs. Pratt wanted to hear some preaching, so she sent out and got in a few neighbors, and I gave them a short discourse; then the Brethren thought best for me to go to Connecticut. So Bro. Crosby and myself started and went to the town of Warwick, where Br. Crosby preached at Five o'clock to quite a goodly number, who paid good attention; staid over night. Next day, the 7th, went to South Orange; - staid over night with Br. Harris. The next day, the 8th, left Br. Crosby, and went to New Salem to Br. Pond's, staid over night; the next day, the 9th, went on to Br. Atkins - staid over night there. On the 10th day to Palmertown to Mr. Shepherds, tarried over night, the next day, the 1lth to Cabbotville, to Br. Wing’s - Staid there until Sunday the 13th, when Br. Benson and Sparks came there to preach; Br. Benson preached in the forenoon, and Sparks in the afternoon, and myself in the evening. The Devil got mad and wanted to mob us; one threw a stone and hit Br. Benson on the thigh but did not hurt him. The next day the 14th, I went to Westfield, with Br. Fowler, where I found Br. A. P. Rogers & Woolley, from thence to Southwick to Br. A. Moses, where we staid over night.
On the 15th, went to Southampton, where we met Br. Benson & Sparks. We held meeting there with them; staid over night at Mr. Bartlett’s and the next day, the 16th, in the evening, Br. Sparks held forth to a few men and quite a number of very noisy boys. However, he succeeded in quelling the noisy boys; and he gave them a good lecture. Staid over night at Br. Bartlett's. The next morning, the 17th, we went back to Westfield to Br. Stockings - staid about there and held several meetings, until the 24th, when myself and Amos went to Connecticut, Simsbury to Sister Cossetts and staid over night. The next day the 25th, we went to Farmington to Father Woodruff - held a meeting on Saturday evening and Sunday- and baptized and confirmed two; administered to Sister Webster who had not walked for several years, who rose up the next day and walked; Staid there until the 28th, when we started and went down to Woodbury in Litchfield Co., and staid over night at Mr. Lewis'. The 29th we went to Southbury to Mr. Burns, found Br. A. Tomlinson there - staid over night they were fine people.
On the 30th, we all three of us went down the Houssatonick River to Br. Booth's and staid over night. The 31st, we went to Munson to a Miller Camp meeting - heard a discourse on the Second Advent of the Messiah.
On the 1st day of September we went across Newtown to Waltertown, to Br. Lattins, staid over night. The 2nd, A. Tomlinson, A. Rogers went to Norwork to Br. Wandells ¬staid over night. On the 3rd, it being Sunday, went to meeting and preached to them. On the 4th, went to New York with Br. Wendell, staid over night, and next day the 5th until six o'clock in the evening, when I started for Boston, with Br. T. E. Page; arrived at Boston at ten o'clock the 6th, where I found a number of the Twelve - ¬Staid in Boston until the 22nd of September, when Br. Pratt went to New Bedford to obtain a passage for us. Br. Hanks and I went to Sims to Sister Lewis' and staid until the 24th. Br. Hanks was very weak. From there we went to Salem, and staid there until the 28th, and preached there three times, and then we returned to Boston, where Br. Grouard came and went to Lowell and came back again, where we staid until the 5th of October, when we all went to New Bedford where we obtained the rest of the money to take us to the South Sea Islands, chiefly through the goodness of Br. Lewis; the Lord having blessed us according to our prayers and diligence, Br. Pratt having reserved a passage on board the Ship "TIMELION.” We staid in New Bedford until the 9th, when we went on board the Ship, and bid farewell to our friends. We got under way the winds being S. W. We beat down below the Light house and come to anchor. Next morning the 10th got out to Sea. Br. Hanks is very feeble and weak. There in eight passengers on board the ship beside ourselves: Dr. Winslow and wife and three children, a servant girl, Mr. Lincoln and wife, who have been very kind to us so far. We had same very high seas so that they ran over our docks continually; and I was very seasick, but soon got over it. But the wind was fair and it began to be more pleasant to me had not Br. Hanks been sick; but such was the case, and he grew weaker all the while until the third day of November when he departed this life without a struggle, about half past five in the morning. Before he died he had a vision of the spirits in prison. We laid him out, the same as on shore, and then sewed him up in a piece of canvas, and attached a bag of sand to his feet, when the flag was displayed at half mast; prayers with other ceremonies as is common on such occasions, when the Sailors hoisted one end of the plank he was Committed to a watery grave. He died in Latitude 26 degrees Longitude 27 degrees, Otherwise we had a very speedy passage to the Cape Verds Islands. We arrived at St. Nichols Island on the ninth of November. Several of us went on shore, bought some oranges and Bananas; also got some donkeys and rode to the City of Bravo, which is in the interior of the Island. These Islands are very barren and rocky, and looks like lava thrown up in the midst of the sea. The houses are built of stone and clay morter, and only one story high. The streets very narrow from four to eight feet wide. We took dinner with them. The inhabitants are called Portuguese, but I think they are very much mingled with the Africans, as they are very black. However, they treated us very kind. They are all Catholic. There are but few whites there. We went on board at night and sailed for St. Jago where we arrived the next day, the llth. The mate went ashore; did not trade much; then we undertook to go to the principal town. It came on a calm, and we lay between the Islands of St. Jago and Fiego -(the latter has a burning mountain) on it, until Saturday the 18th; in the evening there sprang up a breeze, and we sailed for the Trusteen Islands; we continued our course with light breezes and calms continually until the 10th of December, when we crossed the Equator, it being on Sunday. It being pleasant weather and a good breeze from the South East, the Lord having blessed and prospered us with health and strength, and we feel to thank and praise his name for the same.
We continued our course towards Tristan D Aclinha, which is in Lat. 37 degrees S. Long. 120 degrees W. had pleasant weather. We came in sight of the land on the 3rd of January 1844. The next day had quite a gale of wind which lasted for about 24 hours. We best about the Island until about the ninth of the month, and saw several whales but could not catch any but one small one, which made eighteen barrels of oil. We then stood away on our course, which makes three months since we left America. This Island is barren; they raise potatoes only. There is about fifty inhabitants on it. A Mr. Glass is Governor of the Island; he is an Englishman; he used to be a soldier in the English Army, and draws a pension from that Government.
On the 10th of January, 1844, we left the Island of Tristan, Achanha, and steered for Cape Good Hope, which we made in fifteen days.
Thursday the 25th of January, we was thirty seven miles south of Cape Good Hope - all the time fair and pleasant weather; we continued our course towards St. Paul's Island, which we made on Wednesday the 21st day of February, 1844. We lowered three boats and went on a fishing excursion; the fish was very plenty; we caught about twenty barrel's in six hours. The next day we went on shore, where we found a few Frenchman, and one man from Albany, New York, who had made a fishing establishment of it. He seemed to be very much pleased to see us. This Island is a curious place; it seems to have been formed by volcanic eruptions, as there is a basin forming almost an entire circle, with an in or outlet into which small vessels can enter, forming a perfect harbor. This basin appears to have been a crater around which the Island appears to have been formed, as it is the highest land around this crater, and slopes off gradually from it. It appears as though nearly one-half of the Island had been sunk, which made the entrance into the basin. The people on the Island said it belonged to the French Government. It lies in Lat. S. 38 degrees 42 seconds, and Long. East 77 degrees 52 seconds.
Br. Grouard and myself ascended this Mountain first, which is 2000 feet high, where we had a chance to kneel down by a rock and pray to the Lord without being disturbed, which was the first opportunity we had had for four months, which we considered a great privilege. On the top of this mountain there is many mounds thrown up by the burning of the mountain. There was when we were on the mountain several places where the smoke issued out of it and the ground very hot that we could not dig with our hands without burning them.
Down round the basil there was several boiling springs in which we boiled a craw fish. I saw one about as warm as dishwater which was the water that the people used for drink and cooking. There was another whale ship in here get¬ting fish - the Captain's name was Cooper who appeared to be a very nice man. The ship's name was “MANHATTAN" from Sag Harbor. At sundown we started off the shore and went on board of his ship and took supper and staid until twelve o'clock at night, when we went to our own ship - it was three or four miles distant, where we arrived in safety, and got on board and steered on our course, towards New Holland until the Twentieth of March, when we made the South Cape of VanDeimons Land, which is an Island south of New Holland. It began to be thick weather, when we made land. A breeze sprung up and continued to grow stronger until it became a perfect gale, which continued until the 24th day of March. During the gale we stove two whale boats - The Stern Boat and the Labord Boat and we carried away considerable of the Bulwark; the waves running very high, but the winds was in our favor during the whole gale, we made our course toward the North Caps of New Zealand, which we passed on the last day of March, and, the first day of April - on these two days the winds was nearly ahead so that we made but slow progress. But on the 2nd of April, 1844, the wind hauled round so that we could steer on our course.