Transcript for Adams, William, Autobiography of William Adams, 1822-1894, 27-28

In the spring I fitted out two ox teams, and my son James and I went down to the Missouri River in Bishop Warren's company. I acted as chaplain to the company. The year previous I sent a team with my son Charles in Samule White's company, and he was appointed assistant Captain in the company.

On the return home, traveling on the Platte River, a thunder storm came and lightening killed three oxen in that and ignited the straw in the wagon where there was five hundred pounds of powder. My son, who was sitting in the front of the wagon was stunned. By the assistance of the teamsters the fire was extinguished without any further damage. With the Captains assistance, my son was able to proceed with the company. News spread of the narrow escape and the amount of gunpowder they were freighting into Utah, and word was received that the United States Military officers were coming, Captain White devided it among the train and when the officers came and searched the train they did not find as much as they expected and let the company proceed. But for the wise course of the Captain the powder would have been confiscated, and this would have been a great loss to me in my trade with the Indians.

In the summer trouble began on the plains with the Sioux Indians. One company of six wagons was destroyed, all the men killed, and one woman taken prisoner. The teams were killed and the wagons burned. I was detained two weeks at Fort Kearney by order of the Military. While we were lying there a company of soldiers returned having to retreat with the loss of one man and one cannon, and were nearly surrounded and destroyed by the Sioux. There were five hundred wagons collected at Kearney City before we were permitted to pursue our journey. The weather was very cold and frosty.

We arrived in Salt Lake City the latter part of November. Traveling was very unpleasant and cold till I arrived at my home in Parowan.