Transcript for Lydia D. Alder reminiscences, 26 September 1867, 1-2.

George Dunford with a train of wagons, bringing merchandize and a few emigrants, arrived in Salt Lake City. Mrs. Lydia D. Alder, one of the company, wrote as follows regarding this company:

"My father, the late George Dunford, brought a train of twenty-two wagons of merchandize and a mess wagon, besides four carriages for the family, drawn by mules or horses. We had a sister Halliday as cook with her family (Mormons), besides the drivers. Our family consisted of my parents (George Dunford and wife [Sarah Jones Dunford]), three brothers [Franklin Jones, George Henry and Moreland Dunford] and two sisters [Florence Emily and Mary Marie/Maria Dunford], my husband (George A. Alder), myself (Lydia Dunford Alder) and two children [George Dunford and Helen Eugenia Alder].

We left Nebraska City, I think, in the latter part of June of that year (1867). It was rumored that the Indians were very troublesome at Fort Laramie and the train was detained until a military organization was effected with my husband, the late George A. Alder, as captain.

At Jules Julesburg (the terminus of the U.P. railroad that year) we found some families of Saints awaiting our arrival, who had shipped their wagons to Julesburg, expecting to go on. The government would not allow this, but detained them awaiting our arrival. As I remember, they were George Gee of Provo, I believe a return missionary, 1 wagon. Joseph Powell and wife, <(now)> (of Liberty Stake), 1 wagon, the Webster family of Taylorsville whose teamster was a Brother May. Perhaps any of these could give the names of the others. <(Also)> Col. Alexander, a freighter and his wife, who had crossed the plains 16 times.


We had a favorable journey until we reached Quaking Asp Ridge. (Wyoming) Here we were overtaken by a severe snow storm and for several days we could only move about five miles a day. We reached Salt Lake City, by way of Parley's Canyon Sept. 26, 1867, all well.
Lydia D. Alder.