Transcript for Andrew Jenson, "Swiss, Italian, and German Mission," Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City: Deseret News Publishing Co., 1941), 855-56
SWISS, ITALIAN AND GERMAN MISSION comprised during the seven years of its existence (18611868) the Republic of Switzerland, the northwestern part of the peninsula of Italy, the southern part of Germany and parts of France and Holland.
Missionary work having been prosecuted for some time in Germany under the jurisdiction of the presidency of the Swiss and Italian Mission, the name of that mission was changed in January, 1861, to Swiss, Italian and German Mission. Jabez Woodard continued to preside over the mission under the new name until May, 1861, when John L. Smith came to succeed him.
On May 16, 1861, the ship "Monarch of the Sea" left Liverpool, England, with about 90 emigrating saints from the Swiss, Italian and German Mission, in charge of Pres. Jabez Woodard. At that time there were 12 branches of the Church in Switzerland, with a membership of 611; in Italy there was one branch, with 18 members, and in Germany one branch, with 29 members; total 658. Headquarters were established at Basel, Switzerland. Much persecution was endured by the missionaries on account of the strictness of the laws governing the residence of strangers, the application of these laws being enforced to the limit by officials and others who opposed the Church. On this account the Elders were obliged to be constantly on the move in order to avoid arrest and banishment. In some places they also endured mob violence.
On May 15, 1862, a company of 109 saints from the mission left the port of Havre, France, for New York, in charge of Elder Serge L. Ballif. This was the first attempt at direct emigration from the continent, previous emigration having been arranged via Liverpool, England. Other companies, however, later again sailed from Liverpool.
In 1862 the publication of "Die Reform," a periodical in the German language, setting forth the principles of the gospel and the history of the Church, was commenced at Geneva, by Pres. John L. Smith; it was discontinued in 1864.
At the close of the year 1863 the mission contained 17 branches of the Church, namely, Geneva, Lausanne, Neuchatel, Zurich, Thun, Landschlacht, Herrisau, Toggenburg, Basel and St. Imier in Switzerland; Carlsruhe (Baden), Oldenburg and Aichelberg (WÃ¼rtemburg), in Germany; St. Germain in Italy; Amsterdam and Rotterdam in Holland; and one branch in Paris, France. The whole mission had at that time a membership of 703. On Nov. 1, 1864, the branches of the Church in Holland were separated from the Swiss, Italian and German Mission to form a separate mission. (See Netherlands Mission.)
At the close of the year 1867, the official name of the mission was changed to Swiss and German Mission, the Church in Italy not being large enough to justify the word Italian in the title. Elder Joseph S. Horne, who at that time presided over the Swiss, Italian and German Mission, continued to act as president after the change in name. Following are the names of the presidents of the Swiss, Italian and German Mission: Jabez Woodard, Jan. to May, 1861; John L. Smith, 1861-1863; Paul A. Schettler (pro tem.), Dec. 1863, to Feb., 1864; William W. Riter, 1864-1865; William Perry Nebeker, 1865-1867, and Joseph S. Horne, April to Dec. 31, 1867.