Transcript for "Arrival of the First Handcart Company," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 20 October 1860, 668-69

Arrival of the First Handcart Company.—Captain Daniel Robinson brought into the city on Monday afternoon, between four and five o'clock, the first of the season's handcart companies, in good order, and apparently in general good health.

The company was composed chiefly of British Saints, with a few families from the Eastern States; in all, about two hundred and thirty souls. They had six waggons, thirty-nine handcarts, and ten tents for their additional accommodation. They lost but one ox on the way. A child of two years of age, son of William Robinson, of Franklin Country, Pennsylvania, died a week ago, and was buried at Cache Cave.

There had been several cases of sickness on the way; but on arrival, the entire company is reported in good health. They had drenching showers during the first two weeks of their journey out from Florence; but throughout the remainder of the journey they had excellent weather, and, as far as we learn, have come along as well as any company that ever crossed the Plains. Their appearance on entering the city was indeed, if anything, more favourable than that of any previous handcart company.

As soon as they emerged from the kanyon [canyon] on the bench, and the citizens got a glimpse of them, the streets leading eastward presented a very animating appearance. Everybody seemed cheery and pleased to go out to meet the new arrivals. By the time the company reached the camping ground, opposite the Eighth Ward School-house, there were thousands of citizens round them, whose language and reception, to the arrivals, were evidently a hearty welcome.

The camp was soon formed by the waggons being placed in a line to the north, the tents to the west, and the handcarts to the south and east.

We noticed early on the ground, Bishop Hunter, his Counsellors, and the Bishops generally. As soon as possible, the Bishops had brought to the camp a general abundance of vegetables and other edibles to refresh the immigrants.

Captain Ballo, with a portion of his band, was early among them, and enlivened the scene with excellent music. "Home, sweet home" must have caused a thrill of joy and gratitude in every bosom.

Altogether, the assemblage on the camp ground on Monday evening was decidedly cheering. The healthy appearance of the immigrants, the kind greeting of relatives and friends, and the good feeling everywhere apparent were creditable to all.