Transcript for Brigham Young Hampton autobiography, 71-73, in Brigham Young Hampton, Papers, 1870-1901

Some time in May 1855 Thomas Colbern [Colborn] and James Cace [Pace] Mormon Missionarys came to our house in Jacksonville Co. Ill. Where we were then living being requested to do so by Pres. Brigham Young, to see if we were still in the Faith and desirous to gather with the Saints, and if so to assist us on our journey to Salt Lake City, Utah Territory, which offer we gladly accepted and all of us that was over eight years old were babtise [baptized] and rebabtised [rebaptized] and confirmed under the hands of James Cace [Pace].

June 22d 1855 we started on our Journey to Salt Lake City. Same month arived in Saint Louis. Stayed there about two weeks untill the arival of other Saints from the Old Country.

The Steamboat Leconock no 2 was chartered on which we took pasage with the rest of the Saints during our passage up the Missouri River. Many of the pasengers were atac [attacked] with the C[h]olera[.] several died and were buried on the banks of the River in diferent placeses.

Sometime in July we arived at Atchisson Kansas and camped about three miles from there in what was known as Mormon Grove, the then outfiting place of the Saints previous to crossing the plains

July 28th 1855 we started on our Journey acros the Plains in a Train known as the Church Train but mostly owned by Erastus Snow one of the twelve Apostles. Isaac Alered [Allred] Capt[a]in and James Pace assistant

On the first part of the Journey I was very sick and came near dieing and was sick most of the Journey. we had a long and tedeyous journey acrost the plains of over one thousand miles in ox teams. (from Laram[i]e to Bridger the distance is about five hundred miles). The whole company ran out of provisions at Larime [Laramie] and had but one pint of Flour per head per day and not any thing else to eat till we arived at Bridger where we met teams from the Valey with provisions for us (the company).

We with the portions of the Train carrying Familes arived in Salt Lake City November 2d 1855 in the evening. The balance of the Train carrying Merchandise arived some time in December