Transcript for Charles Barnes, Biographical information relating to Mormon pioneer overland travel database, 2003-2017

Arrived at New Orleans—voyage about 6 weeks.  Stopped two days.  Proceeded to St. Louis.  Stayed six weeks at Bro. Henry Lewis’.  Meantime I married his daughter Mary Ann.  Shortly after we joined camp at Keokuk.  I would say here that Bro. William L.N. Allen, late president of the Hull branch, his wife and child traveled with me the entire journey to Salt Lake City.  We camped at Keokuk about 6 weeks.  The companies were organized.  I was chosen captain of ten.  Left 3rd of June for Kainsville [Kanesville].  Hard traveling.  Muddy roads.  Several days in Kainsville.  Took the road for the upper crossing of the river.  Mary Ann contrary.  Road very bad in consequence of being flooded from 4 to 6 miles having to take our wagon at 3 time 12 yoke cattle on each wagon.  Arrived at the river not very convenient crossing.  We still proceeded on our journey and traveled as I suppose other companies did—nothing more than common.  I enjoyed myself tolerable well in traveling but was annoyed very much with my Mary Ann.  She was so suborn and acted in every way to make me angry.  Her conduct was such to me and my children that I promised her that she should be no longer my wife on our arrival at Salt Lake City.  My daughter, Ellen, was very sick about seven weeks.  On arriving at the foot of Big mountain, she died—October 1853.  She was buried near the camp.  Proceeded that morning to ascent [ascend] the mountain.  I went down on the other side with the last wagon.  G[eorge]. P[arker]. Dykes piloting the way as it was very dark.  Arrived at camp in safety in the morning.  Captain [George] Kendall proceeded to the city for some flour as we had but little—our teams were few and weak.  He returned with sufficient for the camp.   Rested two days.  Traveled within 6 miles of the city in the morning.  Several of the cattle lost.  Stayed until the next morning having only about one yoke cattle to each wagon.  We proceeded toward evening.  It was dark on arriving at the Union Square.   Mary Ann left camp 6 miles from the city.  I suppose to make herself secure and see her friends as I told her the evening previous that I would not fail in my promise.  It was attended to by Brigham Young at his office about ten days after my arrival to my entire satisfaction in consequence of her being in a hurry to get married to a man, Charles Saunders, a widower.  I gave her the privilege to pay the bill of divorcement.