Transcript for Charles R. Dana papers, 1847, 1859, 82-86

Wednesday. May 22nd. 1850.

All things being prepared beforehand I took my family and Started for the Valley. They consisted of; Myself, Margaret, Charles Carrol, Roswell Root, and George Carloss. Susan and her two boys: Martin and Moroni. My Son in-law Henry Kingsley and Horace Rockwell and their wives; each had a team and waggon. I had altogether three waggons, twenty six head of cattle: and some Sheep which we were driving through for Bro. Demill. Bro. Perry and Hulet and their families were in company. On Sunday 26th they made choice of me to lead them.

Nothing of importance transpired while we were traveling to Kanesville. We arrived there on the 1st. day of June; and after a day or two, we moved down to near Bethlehem: where we found Horace. Elizabeth. Henry and Mariett. waiting for us. Horace & his wife had been living in Missourie for some years; and Henry & Mariett left Pisgah a few days before I did & went by Savannah to obtain flour.

7th. This day Elder Hyde Organized a com. [company] of one hundred waggons. He Appointed James Pace for Capt. of the hundred. Bro. [blank space] Sessions Capt of the first; and David Bennett Capt. of the Second fifty.

8th. Organized the tens. I was chosen Capt. of the 2d. Ten in Bro. Bennets fifty

11th. Crossed the Missourie River.

13th. Began to move on our way to the Valley: rolled twelve miles. this evening Bro. Luther Warner was taken with Cholera.

14th. Bro. Bennets com. [company] all moved on this day except Bro. Stephen Perrys Ten: they remained to see how it would go with Bro. Warner. Just as we were nearly ready to roll; Margaret steped up to me and said "Pa, I believe I will go and see Bro. Warner a moment before I leave." I Said Margaret, I do wish you would not go. She said that she thought she could tell him something that would help him. She finally went; and shortly after noon She complained of sickness at the stomach[.] I administered to her, and she felt better; but soon appeared to be worse again; so that by the time we had got into camp; it was evident that Cholera with all its attendant horrors had fastened its iron grasp upon her. We administered every kindness in our power; but notwithstanding she swooned, was gone near two minutes: She seemed much elated when she came to her self again: and said "Pa, I have been there." where have you been Margaret? said I. "With the Saints, and the place was glorious, but I have a work to do." She continued to cramp for two three, or four hours, and then Sunk into a drowsiness. A little before day break, the brethren administered to her: almost directly, symptoms of immediate dissolution appeared. and by day break. She was a lifeless corps[e]. We laid her out in all her Temple clothing: Made a coffin of packing boxes, and gave her a decent burial. Her age was forty three years, two months, and fifteen days. The whole distance from the Missourie river was twenty four miles. Bro. Warner died on the fourteenth. Seven died altogethe[r] before we were rid of that plauge [plague] for a few days.

17th. We commenced to move on again; but buried Bro. Keyes at noon.

18th. This morning, in addition to our other troubles Henry missed his horses: there is no doubt but the Indians Stole them: it was all the team that he had.

26th. Sister Elizabeth Mallory, a dear sister of Margarets, was taken with Cholera.

27th. She died soon after sun rise. Thus in the Short space of twelve days, two sisters fell victims by the hand of the destroyer. Now more united in their lives, was not long seperated by death. Having recieved and held firm the faith of the everlasting gospel: been lively members in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and having always maintained a good report, been true friends, Kind sisters affectionate Mothers, and tender wives

And having died in peace; we have an assurance that their Spirits mingle with those of the just; and that they will come forth in the morning of the first resurrection to enjoy that rest which has been promised to the faithful.

We buried four this day. I kept the journal of the fifty as well as my private journal: this was by the request of Capt. Bennet, and his Com.

Nothing of much importance transpired after this untill we reached the City of the Great Salt Lake which was on the 23rd. of Sept.