Transcript for Dana, Charles Root, Autobiography, 1859, 171-76

Monday June 1st. About four this afternoon a part of the waggan Company Started for The Valley: the Cattle most of them were unaccostamed to the yoke and acted accordingly, one axeltree broke, one waggan turned over; another one treed: the “labord ox” at times “on the Stabbourd [stubborn] Side,” &c &c: however the most of us went four Miles and Camped. On the next day Elder Little Settled with the brethren and on Wednesday 3rd. he organised us; calling Jesse B. Martin to be our Captain: I was Captain of the first Ten. Bro. James Ca[r]rigan Capt. of the Seccond; and Bro. Oliver Workman Capt. of the third Ten. Bro. John Pymm Clerk. and Bro David Curtis Serjeant of the Guard.

There were thirty one waggans.

After we were organised we rolled four miles.

Wednesday 24th. We arrived at Florence; where we tarried untill Sunday 28th. about two O’ clock we left Florence.

Monday 29th. We camped near the Elk Horn: there were eighteen waggans with families; Appostates on their way to the States and other countries; and of all the black hearted, foul mouthed, d____d Appostates; those Seemed to me to be about the worst: I felt that I had about as soon fight them as to eat; for besides berating the best men in the world; they had no decency. I was informed that they left the Valley Secretly for fear of being Murdered. I felt that if they had been away from Settlements that they would not have treated us as they did, with impunity.

On the evening of Sunday 12th of July our cattle took a stampede: the moving cause of which was; I believe in allowing an ox to go away with the yoke hanging to his neck: the Buffalo were near; and this other circumstance terrified the Cattle; the consequence of which was that we lost nine head of our cattle; and hindered more than two days.

On the 15th we traveled; and in the evening the cattle took another stampede and the result of that was the loss of seven head more. We laid by on the 16th and hunted for the lost cattle; but did not find those seven. It was then decided to have some of those brethren who had lost cattle return to the Settlements.

Friday 17th. We yoked up and about twenty teames were hitched <on> to as many waggons; and a little misunderstanding occured just as we were about to break up the currell [corral]: I left my team and went to the other side of the currell, where they had not yet hitched up; to see what the difficulty was; and lucky for me that I did; for all of a sudden every horned creature took a stampede: all struck for the opening laying prostrate everry person that was in their path: two persons were so badly hurt that they died in a few hours: others very much hurt and one little girl had her thigh bone broke. This circumstance, or the sight of it; with all its attendant horrors was the worst looking sight that I ever saw; except when I gazed upon the George Washington [ship] when she was on fire!!!

Saturday 18th. We yoked and hitched on a few teams at a time and started off in this way; and we had no further trouble with them untill Thursday 30th. Just as my Ten had currelled and partly unhitched; and the rest of the Company were coming in to order our cattle took another stampede; but as they were so much scattered it was not general; nevertheless several of the teams run; knocking down two or three of the Sisters and running over them; but the wheels passing each side of them: they were not seriously injured.

Friday 31st. This evening Bro. Martin made a motion that I take the lead every day, as he had finally come to the conclusion that his hurried drives would not do; for the teams were failing very fast.

Monday 3d August. Some teams stampeded today while traveling no damage was done.

On the 5th. Also some teams bolted out while traveling, and run; but as I was in the lead; and was constantly on the watch I prevented my team from joining in the movement and thereby no doubt saved much trouble. We took the North side of the Platt[e] all of the way; but I am of the opinion that the South Side is the best above Larimie [Laramie].

Friday 14th. The Hand Cart Company joined us today at the upper crossing of the Platt[e]. Bro. Evans had taken the South Side of the Platt at Larimie and had lingered several days in order to join us.

Tuesday 18th We met Bro. S[amuel]. W. Richards, and Some others. Bro Samuel was going to England on business for the Church. About this time a report reached us that the Government had started an expedition to the valley of U. S. Troops and Gentile Officers (Governor Judges &c.) to compell the Saints to submit to them and to hang President Young and punish polygamists &c.

About the 26th and 27th we met Several companys of our brethren from the Valley going to be eye witnesses of what Uncle Sams Troops was about.

Wednesday September 2d. The Hand Cart Company left us to–day for they could out–travel the ox teams. After they <had> gone we had only one Captain left except the Captains of Tens. However I see by my daily journal that we came up with them a gain at Bridger and then we had plenty of Captains and long drives.

Saturday 12th. Drove thirteen miles and arrived safe in Salt Lake City.