Transcript for Dunn, Alex F., Life of Philip De La Mare, 2-5

Little does he remember of his native Jersey, as he was only three years of age when his parents set sail for america. His first recollection of anything pertaining to the trip was the beginning of the journey across the planes by ox team. His next vivid impression was a band of Indians overtaking the wagon train and demanding biscuits. The Indian were dressed up in their most colorful regalia, said Brother De La Mare, and they demanded who was the Captain of the train. His father Philip De La Mare bringing the first Sugar Plant from France to am Utah in the train was captain of his own Company, and Brother De La Mare, said that his mother opened up a cracker box carried on the wagon and the Chief held his blanket while Sister De La Mare filled it with crackers, which the Chief in turn distributed among his braves, and they rode away.

He also remembers one of the teamsters killing a buffalo and distributed the meat among the company. At Greenriver [Green River] the Company was snowed in and experienced great privation. In a rescue train sent out it was under the Captancy of John Nuttall. with our townsman John Gillesp[i]e as a member of the rescue train and it was through the persuasion of Brother Gillespee that the De La Mare family came to Tooele.

All of the sugar machinery was brought to Salt Lake City, but several of the wagons were left there during the winter and brought in next Spring.

Brother De La Mare relates that his father paid $45 a hundred for flour on the plains, which had been hauled from Salt Lake City to assist in the rescue. During the tie up in the snow seventeen of the oxen died, but it was fortunate that these were replaced by some purchased from trappers in that localities.

It required immense wagons to haul some pieces of the Sugar machinery. One piece weighed 2,200 pounds and another 3,000. From four to five yoke of oxen were needed to pull these huge Santa Fe wagons which had been purchased from the government following a dump back from the Mexican war. It was fortunate that these were available as the first commercial wagons purchased originally for the hauling, broke down under the load and were turned over to one of the pioneer companies.

On arriving in Salt Lake City in November [blank space] 1852, <after a 5 months [illegible]> the Sugar Machinery was moved on to Provo, where it was found