Transcript for Eldredge, Alma. Reminiscences and diary, 1857-1898, 17-21

On the 12 th day of June 1847, a company of One Hundred Wagons was Organized at Winter Quarters, and Daniel Spencer was appointed Captain and on the 13 th Started west on the Trail of the Pioneer Company. After the Train crossed Elk Horn River, ab[o]ut 25 miles from Winter Quarters, the Company haulted [halted] for a couple of days, for the purpose of completing the Organization. The main Company was devided in to Two Devissions [divisions], and Ira Eldredge was appointed Captain & the first Devission of 50 Wagons and Perry Green [Perrigrine] Sessions was appointed Captain of the Second Devission [division] & 50 wagons. Then there were appointed Captains for each Ten Wagons, in order that all incidents and details could be looked after.

During the time the Companies were travelling through the Country occupied by the Sioux Indians, they traveled within a mile of each other in order to be better prepared for defence in case the trains Should be at<t>acked by the Indians. Great Caution had to be used in handling the stock on account of the vast amount of Buffalow roaming in the Country. For Miles and Miles the land would be dot[t]ed with those animals, as far as the eye could reach, and on the most distant Hills the animals would be constantly appearing and disappearing the entire days.

During the first 500 Miles we were kept advised of the moovements [movements] and Condition of the Pioneer Company by written information placed on Buffalow skulls sett up by the side of the Pioneer trail, and by like means information of our proceedings were left for those who were to follow in days to come.

On the 3rd of September, when crossing Big Sandy, 16 Miles East of Green River, we met President Brigham Young, and a large number of the other members of the Pioneer Company on their return to Winter Quarters, and there with them a number of the Mormon Battallion Soldiers on their return to their families and friends.

We learnt from President Young that the Great Salt Lake Valley had been Selected for a resting place for the Saints.

On the 18th day of September 1847 we camped at the West Base of the Big Mountain, on the North Fork of Parl[e]y's Canyon, Epraham [Ephraim] Hanks a member of the Mormon Battallion, who had returned from California, by the way of the Great Salt Lake Valley, went East with the returning Pioneer Company, untill he met Father's Company, and he being a Single man, and a cousin of Father's, took up his abode with Father's Family and returned to Salt Lake Valley. He told the People about the Great Salt Lake Vall[e]y, and the Valley and the Great Salt Lake could be Seen when emerged from the Mouth of Emigration Canyon, on the East side of the Valley.

The Morning of the 19th the night hearders [herders] arranged with Mr. Hanks, to go on horse back with them and thus procure an early Sight of the Great Salt Lake Valley. As soon as the Train was ready to moove [move] this party Started on and I went with them on a Poney. We reached the Mouth of the Canyon about Ten Oclock, in the morning, when we emerged from the Mouth of the Canyon, we raesed [raised] slightley to the North for about two hundred feet, to raise out of the Revain [ravine] which continued west, and when we reached that point we could See a large portion of the valley, and also a large portion of the Lake.

At the Spoot [spot] where we Stoped Mr. Hanks, Said, Brethren, here is the Spot where the Buggy, in which President Young was riding Stoped for him to look over the Valley, and after he looked for a few moments, he said "This is the Place," drive on, and thus a decission was reached for the Saints to multiply and increase in.

My curiosity was grattified when I reached the elevated spot at the mouth of the Canyon, looked over the broad Space between the two ranges of the Mountains no Houses or Trees in Sight and the dark blue Salt Lake in the West

The Company emerged from the Mouth of the Canyon, about Four Oclock this after noon, and passed down the sloping platteau and camped near the banks of a small Stream, Since named "City Creek["]