Transcript for Farley, Madeline Malan, "Autobiographical Sketch of Madeline Malan Farley," Pioneer, May-June 1993, 25

On account of such conditions we did not leave the Grove until the 25th of July in charge of Elder James Harper as captain of the company. Then, following the trail across the plains of Kansas and so on through Indian territories where we were ofttimes terrorized when a band of them suddenly coming onto camp and savagely demanding hostage for trespassing on their domains; thereupon Captain Harper would wisely propitiate with gifts of various kinds, as sugar, flour, and a variety of trinkets in order to procure and preserve peace with them.

Another cause of alarm was the great herds of buffalo, that when on the move from one place to another, never deviated from their course—heeding no obstacles—were liable to go right through camp or train as the case might be. So that with the savage Indians and invincible buffalo we were at any time in danger of our lives.

Needless to attempt to describe the hardships and difficulties we encountered on our way—only one little incident which so clearly proves the efficacy of faith. My twin sister Emily and I had walked all day and were very tired. Father said, “We are near camp, but get in.” We had but just got in on the back end of the wagon when we heard mother exclaim: “Oh, God, give me the strength of a lion.” Suddenly we had gone down a dugway and the wagon capsized. As our goods by some mis-management had been left at Philadelphia, we had no luggage, so the wagon was laden with freight for the company. The back end was stacked with flour. In the front end was a large box packed with glass and chinaware, on which mother and two little ones, two and three years of age, were sitting. She was thought to be crushed to death with the little ones, but when rescued from her perilous position she went about her domestic affairs as usual. The children were not hurt, but frightened. Sister and I were nearly smothered to death under the flour. Arrived in Salt Lake City October 28, 1855, ending a journey of eight months on our way to Zion, and to our mother was verified the promise made by Apostle Richards for she found her eldest son, John, from whom she had not heard since he left England in the spring of 1854.