Transcript for Mary P. Gardner and Martha P. Bennett, "Biography of Alvus H. and Martha Fillmore Patterson", DUP Pioneer History Collection, Page 1-2.

They were very anxious to come to Utah, so one night when all was quiet they left their home and everything in it and started for Zion. Their object to leave at night was so as not to cause suspicion among the townsfolk. They went from here to Warsaw, Minnesota thinking they would find some L.D.S. emigrating to Utah. It was not until the year 1859 they heard of a company leaving Florence for the West. It was in January and the weather was bitter cold, so with their little flock of six, the youngest being only six weeks old, they started with their yoke of oxen. The children were; Annie, Mary, Lutitia, Lavina, Nora and Lucinda.

They encountered many hardships. When they reached the Missouri River, it was found to be in a very dangerous condition and father was told he was very unwise to endeavor to cross. We camped on the banks of the river that night and when we awakened in the morning father called us all together and we knelt in prayer and asked the Heavenly Father to help us cross in safety. Planks were placed from bank to bank where the ice was solid. The wagons were then unloaded and everything was carried across in safety. They reached the other side and decided to camp there for a while. Father went to work for the church caring for the stock, this he did for a livelihood until the fall of that year.

The company of Saints was so large containing sixty wagons in all that it was divided and our father and Mr. C. Stookey were made captains of the two companys. The saints had sacrificed and had gone through many hardships to make the journey West. So after the company was divided each took to getting their own train of thirty in prepardness for the long journey ahead of them. New wagons were built and all unnecessary things disposed of.

Mother walked all the way always driving the oxen, and the older children walked the greater part of the way. We would look in the distance for streams to cross, and when we would see one our hearts would swell with joy because we knew we would get aride across the water. Our mother would throw her full dress over her shoulder and take off her shoes and wade through, driving the oxen.

We had camp fires at night and every one did their share in trying to cheer each other. We would dance to the music of the constutenal [Constitutional] fiddler and sing our songs, and our prayers by all means were never forgotten.

Mrs. Ingerberg and her only son Fredrick walked the great distance and drove their only possession a cow. Mrs. Ingerberg was lame and slow and she and her son w as a result were always behind. One evening just before reaching a place to camp the Indians surrounded them and were trying to take them captive when their screams were heard. Father immediately gave orders to circle the wagons and the men were ordered to arm themselves. Mrs. Ingerberg and her son were rescued, but the Indians killed the cow and dragged her away with them, we then continued our journey unmolested. We cannot realize the sacrifices our parent made to help build our wonderful State of Utah. Foot sore and worn out with scarce enough food or clothes to clothe and feed us, and our dear mother always with her sweet cheerful smile and comforting disposition encouraging us to go on.

We arrived in Utah in the Fall of 1860 . . .