Transcript for Greenwood, William, Reminiscence, in "William Greenwood family" [197_?], 10-11

In the month of May 1847, I started down the river with some two or three to obtain an outfit—provisions, etc. I wanted to follow out after the pioneers. I exchanged considerable property such as clothing, my watch, etc. I was blessed in obtaining bread stuff, etc. In the middle of June 1847, I left my little house that I had wintered in, and felt full of faith to follow the servants of the most High God. I joined the main camp on the Horn River (Started June 31, 1847). There were about 550 wagons, teams, cows, etc. We traveled up the Platte River in companies of 50 and 100, wagons having captains of 10's, 50's, and 100's. Sometimes all the wagons would be in sight at one time. It truly was a wonder to all and could our foes have seen us they certainly would have acknowledged we deserved salvation temporarily and eternally—to see hundreds of men, women, and children rejoicing to leave our homes and lands we had bought and paid for trusting in God to bring us safe through to our journey's end.

Having not kept a daily journal I have not the dates of our arriving at the different points. Two days before we arrived at the Pacific Springs we heard of the Pioneers—this is the first we heard of them. Also I must say here that one item of my journey was that I had stolen from me, together with some ten or eleven more horses, my two ponies that I thought everything of for they were a good team for fourteen or fifteen hundred pound weight. It was some thirty miles west of Fort Swimie. It was supposed to be Indians. We felt this loss very much, still we journeyed on. We met the Pioneers at the Pacific Springs, and rejoiced to meet with the noble band of Pioneers. We heard from them that they had found a place for the oppressed of the Almighty now wandering in the wilderness. I must here say that after having my ponies stolen, my oxen began to fail. My wife [Alice Houghton Greenwood] also had two small children—Benjamin and Margaret Ann, that could not walk. We continued our journey over deserts and high mountains following on the track of the Pioneers. It was almost impassable going through the narrow passes of the mountains. At last we burst forth into open space—a beautiful valley—the place where His servants had lead the way by inspiration—a place of rest from our foes and the fury of mobs. And my prayer is that I may be worthy to live and inherit this land and be ever faithful to the Church and Kingdom of God.

We arrived at the Old Fort, October 28, 1847—a day ever to be remembered by me and my wife, Alice. She had to carry in many places her two smallest children over the mountains because of the dangerous roads, but we felt thankful that we were brought safely through to a resting place for our weary feet.