Transcript for Griggs, Thomas Cott, Journals, 1861-1903, reel 1, box 1, fd. 1, vol. 1

Florence, Neb, Monday July 1 st /61 Awake at 5.15. a very fine morning. Received marching orders and went to the bowery and had our baggage weighed, then packed into "our" wagon, and drove out to a camp 3 miles out, and rec'd our first lesson in "Camp" duties such as getting water, fuel &c.

In Camp Tuesday July 2nd/61 Awoke about 4 O'clock, A rather cool morning. Tramped back to Florence to see the steamer "West Wind" with the remainder of the Saints from the "Monarch of the Sea"[.] Back again to Camp with Aunt Farns and several others who came in the steamer

In Camp Wednesday July 3rd awoke 5.10 and went and collected some firewood about a mile and half away. The "Independent" company started out at 10. O,clock

In Camp Thursday July 4th 1861 Awoke at 6.5[.] a fine day, heard the cannon firing at Florence in honor of the day. Extra dancing this evening, the camp being got into corrall order

In Camp Friday July 5th 1861 Up at 6.10[.] a very hot day. I went to a distant <point> to practice on my brass instrument. Came up very cloudy and quite stormy, almost got blowed over by the hurricane

In Camp Saturday July 6th 1861 Awoke at 6.50. a fine morning[.] Went to Florence for tent poles &c[.] A terrific storm came up this evening, nearly blowing over the tent.

In Camp Sunday July 7th 1861 A fine morning. A large drum was used to call us to prayers. Bros. Erastus Snow. Jos. W. Young and Jacob Gates came on to our camp and at a meeting gave us instructions about the coming journey. Another heavy storm this evening and all hands had to hold on to the tent pole; several of the tents were blown down

In Camp Monday July 8th 1861 Awoke at 6.30[.] A very hot morning Another "Independent" company rolled out from the camping ground

In Camp Tuesday July 9th 1861 Up at 4.15 a splendid morning, Our train finally started, rolling out from Camp at 9.30 for Reeds' Ranch 10 miles distant arriving there at 2.25.

Reeds' Ranch Wednesday July 10th Very heavy dew this a.m. started at 9.15 for Elk horn arriving there about 1 O.clock; camped close to the river where there was plenty of wood and water. Several Indians came to camp, some of whom shot some wild duck's[.] days Journey 7 miles

Elk Horn Thursday July 11th/61 Awoke at 6.15. a halting day. Went and had a bathe in the river, and gathered a lot of wild grapes which <here> grew in great abundance.

Elk horn Friday July 12th 1861 Up at 6.45. Fine morning, gathered wood and enjoyed another bathe in the river. Several Pawnee Indians in camp begging vituals, and the way they took it rather astonished us "green uns' taking it <from us> by the plate full

Elk horn Neb Saturday, July 13th/61 I awoke at 4.10. Train started at 6.50. Came up behind Capt Murdock's and Capt Eldredges' companies. Stoped at Fremont for 3 hours rest and dinner. Started out ahead of Murdock and passed through Eldredges' company[.] traveled about 20 miles and camped.

In Camp Sunday July 14th/61 Awoke at 4.30[.] started at 7. Halted for dinner at 1 O clock, a heavy thunder storm coming up detained us until 5 when we started and went 4 miles, making 18 miles in all to day.

In Camp Monday July 15th 1861 Called up at midnight to go on "Cattle guard" and remained until 5 O'clock[.] very heavy dew falling[.] Train started at 7[.] halted at 1. O.clk[.] went for a bathe in the Platte river[.] Went 5 miles and camped for the night. Days journey 19 miles

In Camp Tuesday July 16th 1861 Up at 5.30 a very fine morning started two hours after for Loup Fork about 3 miles distant arriving at 10, waiting a short time for the crossing of Capt. Murdocks' Company and by 12.40 we were all across and made 9 miles more. The river was wide, with sand bars.

In camp Wednesday July 17th I awoke at 5.40 a windy day but good for travelling. Nooned near a ranche where their cattle had been run off by Indians[.] Days trip 20 miles

In Camp Thursday July 18th/61 While nooning at Prairie Creek took hook and line and fished. After camping for the night a heavy thunder storm came up[.] Made 19 miles

In Camp Friday July 19th 1861 Arose at 5.45: A hot day; while nooning a company of U.S. troops from Fort Kearney for the seat of war, passed us: we felt, rather them than us, on such an errand. Days journey 15 miles

In Camp Saturday July 20th/61 After fording Wood river we continued on some 2 miles and camped[.] Rained the latter part of the trip

In Camp Sunday July 21st/61 Awoke at 5.20. Made a start at 9 for Wood river Centre at which place we arrived at 3 O. Clock, having passed Capt. Murdocks' company[.] Had meeting this evening

In Camp Monday July 22nd/61 Up and doing at 6.10. Started out from the River @ 8 O'Clock. A rattlesnake some 3 feet long and 8 years old was shot. Journeyed 14 miles

In Camp Tuesday July 23rd 1861 This morning Elders Orson Pratt Erastus Snow and Jos. A Young came into camp with letters for a few persons; broke camp at 12.30. Passing through Ne[b]raska Centre we crossed the country from Wood river to the Platte = 13 miles

In Camp Wednesday July 24th/61 Awaking at 5.45. I found it a very fine day. About 8 O Clock A.M. Elder [Orson] Pratt, [Erastus] Snow and [Jos. A] Young came into camp and at the meeting called made some very interesting remarks to us[.] At 11.55 we started and travelled some 18 miles and camped; all with good appetites for dinner. Elders Gates & Spencer came in and spoke to us[.] A grand ball in honor of the day was held by the travel worn teamsters and emigrants in the evening[.] all enjoying themselves well.

In Camp Thursday July 25th/61 I awoke at 5.30. Breakfast and off by 7.10 making 15 miles and dined, after which went 8 miles further making the best day's trip yet

In Camp Friday July 26th 1861. Broke camp at 7.30 and made 12 miles, nooned, and went 8 miles farther and camped=bad roads.

In Camp Saturday July 27th /61 Up at 4.10. Crossed some sand hills seeing lizards, ground squirrels and Rattle snakes. We are traveling on the East [North] side of the Platte river; before camping we came up to the heavy bluffs. journeyed 17 miles.

In Camp Sunday July 28th 1861 7.15 found us on our way over several sand hills, through 2 streams, arriving at the Pawnee springs [Spring] at 3.30 without stopping for dinner[.] The water of the spring is very clear and cold with columns of rising sand througon thrown up by the water. = 16 miles to day

Pawnee springs Monday July 29 Up early and went over to the bluffs and gathered a lot of wild cherries. Before starting I saw them bury an old lady who had died in the night, after which broke camp and travelled until 7. p.m. having made about 17 miles.

In Camp Tuesday July 30th/61 Was kept awake nearly all night by mosquitoes. A very hot day[.] Saw the prairie on fire about 3 miles in width. Crossed Bluff creek, and camped after traveling some 16 miles

In Camp Wednesday July 31st/61 Our road to-day has been over some bad sand hills. Went to the bluffs gathering wild cherries. Only 13 miles

In Camp Thursday Augst. 1st/61 A very hot day; crossed several small streams and sand hills. 12 miles

In Camp Friday Augst. 2nd 1861—Hot weather, passed 8 or 9 springs & creeks. Made 20 miles

In Camp Saturday Augst. 3rd 1861 Five miles from our camp we commenced to cross some very heavy sand hills. During our tramp of 16 Miles to-day we passed the companies of Captain's Eldredge & Murdock

In Camp Sunday Augst. 4th/61 Hot, with thunder storms = 22 miles

In Camp Monday Augst. 5th/61 Crossed over to the South bank of the Platte and gathered some wild currants, waded back at sunset and had to make some 6 miles in the dark to catch up with the train which made about 20 miles

In Camp Tuesday Augst. 6th 1861 A very heavy thunder storm came up in the night; much cooler to-day[.] ascended some gravely hills getting a good view of the river and surrounding country, before camping we came in sight of Chimney Rock. Our camp to-night is opposite Court house rock. Trip 19 miles

In Camp Wednesday Aug. 7th/61 A fine morning. Had a noon halt. I almost slept on a rattle snake[.] On again and camped opposite Chimney rock making 18 miles[.] A thunder storm with but little rain this evening.

In Camp Thursday Aug. 8th 1861 I started this a.m. in company with bros. Page and [William] Paxman and our Charley [Charles Alfred] (Griggs) to visit Chimney rock which seemed about 2 miles from the river but found it nearly 5 miles. We clambered to the top of the ledge and carved our names on the rock and gather some wild flowers, with 3 cheers for Brigham and the pioneers and a narrow escape from tumbling rocks, we started for and came up with the camp at Noon halt. This p.m. bro Paxman shot a rattle snake lying in the road. Passed Reed's Independent company and camped having made 19 miles. Thunder and lightening storm in the evening

In Camp Friday Augst. 9th Passed opposite Scotts' Bluff this a.m. and also a half breed's hut. Thunder storm this p.m. Made 18 miles

Saturday Augst. 10th/61 Came in sight of Laramie peak which loomed up in the distance like a cloud. We now commenced to get wood again for our fires, having for the past 2 weeks been without it: Thunder and lightning, as usual this p.m.

Sunday Aug 11th/61 To-day we crossed a creek, with several Indian wig-wams nearby, saw wild rabbits & hares. 17 mile

Monday Augst. 12th/61 The road was lined with wild currant and gooseberry bushes, with plenty of fruit which we eagerly gathered. Nooned in sight of Fort Laramie. Our journey this afternoon took us pass the fort and along some mountainous roads, having travelled 21 miles.

Tuesday Augst. 13th Forded the Platte, crossing to the south side travelling 8 miles and stopped for dinner at 10.30. At 2 p.m. hitched up and leaving the river, we made 10 miles and camped near a Mail Station, with nothing but brush for the cattle to eat

Wednesday Augst. 14th/61 The mail for Salt Lake passed us. Passed by the Overland Telegraph construction hands setting up the wires for Utah. Travelled by moonlight until 9 O-Clock. I felt sick and had to ride for the first time since leaving Florence. Made 24 miles

Thursday Augst. 15th 1861 Came to the river again. Still sick and had to ride all day. Forded the river to the North side Making some 18 miles

Friday Augst. 16th 1861 Went some 10 miles and camped[.] a number of Indians came into camp trading. Forded the river again =Day's travel 17 miles

Saturday Augst. 17th/61. Rather rough roads and poor grass[.] Went about 21 miles.

Sunday Augst. 18th/61 Arrived at Deer Creek and took in flour stored in a log house there[.] A lot of Indians around; stayed there 2 hours and on again making about 17 miles

Monday Augst. 19th/61 Thunder storm with a little rain in the morning. Passed a bridge across the river, and walked on so far that we had to return about 2 miles to where the train had camped[.] Days travel 17 miles.

Tuesday Augst. 20th 1861 Forded the river (the Platte) to the North side just above the long bridge; passed over some very bad roads, not stopping to noon, we made only 14 miles.

Wednesday Augst. 21st 1861 Started from camp at 10.10. and left the head waters of the Platte, passed over quite a rocky road[.] travelled some 15 miles and camped about a half a mile from a Mail Station (Willow Springs?) situated near the foot of a hill. A small stream is near our camp and quite a table land mountain on our advance toward the left hand side[.] While, as usual, on ahead of the train I heard rumors on an accident having occurred to some one. On the train coming up I was told of the melancholy news of grandma Foreman's death by being run over by a wagon. Preparation for immediate burial were made and without changing her clothes, no coffin or box, and in a shallow grave, by the running stream with a buffalo skull on which a pencilled epitaph was made and placed at her head, was buried by starlight a true latter day saint. Buried though by those who felt an assurance that she would rise in the morn of the first resurrection. For her life had been one continual testimony to the truth of the work in which she had been so faithfully engaged; and the weight of whose testimony had sunk deep into the hearts of several of her family. But we must hurry on; with mournful hearts and weeping eyes we torn ourselves from the rude grave and followed the train; the moon now shining in the cold frosty air and reveals a large camp of U.S. troops returning from Utah and going to the seat of war. Made camp at 1.30. A.m. by the side of swift running stream, cold, hungry, sorrowing and weary having travelled about 30 miles

Thursday Augst. 22nd 1861. Started from Camp at 10:55. passed several mail coaches, came to the Sweetwater river and passed a mile beyond Independence Rock and camped = 12 miles to day

Friday Augst. 23rd 1861. Broke camp at 6.55. and passed by Devils Gate at the mouth of which I got a piece of rock. Made 18 miles

Saturday Augst. 24th 1861 Passed along several rocky ridges[.] portions of the road quite white with salaratus, came to the Three crossings of the Sweetwater. Elders Pratt & Snow camped with us, the latter making a few remarks at the evening prayer gathering[.] Travelled 20 miles.

Sunday Augst. 25th 1861. Went 7 miles this forenoon fording the Sweetwater again and camped for 5 hours and held meeting bros Pratt & Snow making some very interesting remarks. Started again at 6. p.m. and made 6 miles & camped without water.

Monday Augst. 26th 1861. Started early and made 12 miles camping by the river off again over some steep hills and made 17 miles more. Several Antelope and rabbits were shot, some of which I had the pleasure of eating for breakfast and dinner.

Tuesday Augst. 27th Stopped at South Pass City (which consisted of 1 or 2 log houses) and loaded up 50 sacks of flour; went around Rocky Ridge passing large Army wagons going to the States. Travelled 15 miles

Wednesday Augst. 28th 1861 Nooned beside Rocky Creek. Capt Jos. Horne found 10 wagon chains that had been cached. Killed an ox for the use of the camp. To-night we made our camp for the last time by the Sweetwater. Made 14 miles

Thursday Augst 29th 1861 Travelled all day within sight of the Wind River mountains some of whose highest peaks were white with snow. Passed through South Pass and nooned on Pacific Creek where the waters flow Westward to the Pacific Ocean[.] Made 16 miles

Friday August 30th 1861. Elders Pratt & Snow again came up with us, made a dry noon camp and continued on to the Little Sandy where we camped = 20 miles.

Saturday Augst. 31st 1861. Crossed the Little Sandy and nooned on the Big Sandy. Very good roads all day. Camped at 11 p.m. on the Big Sandy = 22 miles

Sunday Sept. 1st 1861 Lost several head of cattle which had strayed off for feed. Did not start till noon travelled along the Big Sandy to Green River and made our first camp in Utah having travelled 15 miles.

Monday Sept. 2nd 1861 Left Green River at 11 o'clock passing over a road that had been made by the Church teams in coming down in the spring[.] Camped soon after sunset, making 15 miles in the one drive.

Tuesday Sept. 3rd 1861. Crossed Ham's Fork and camped on Black Fork, remaining there the rest of the day shoeing oxen = 8 miles

Wednesday Sept. 4th 1861. A very warm day, forded Black Fork some 3 times. A mule train passed us on its way home[.] Camped at Millersville = 18 miles

Thursday Sept. 5th 1861. Made but one drive to-day, passing through Fort Bridger and camped for the rest of the day. = 13 miles

Ford Bridger U.S. Friday Sept. 6th Passed a creek about 7 miles from Bridger and passed down a very long and step hill and camped on Muddy Creek. 12 miles in one drive

Saturday Sept. 7th 1861. Commenced to go over mountains in ernest, passed along Quacking [Quaking] Asp[en] ridge and camped on Bear River; gathered a few service berries Made a single drive of 20 miles.

Sunday Sept. 8th 1861. Crossed Bear River and nooned on Yellow Creek; passed Cache cave and travelled down Echo Kanyon [Canyon] untill about 10 O'clock p.m. Rough and dangerous; made 25 miles

Monday Sept. 9th 1861 Started about 9. o.clock. passing 10 Mile Rock A very bad road through the Kanyon, got through about 5 O.clock; passed Witches Rocks and forded the Weber river and camped, making 18 miles in one trip

Tuesday Sept. 10th 1861. Saw the Telegraph company's men raising the poles. Came to East Kanyon crossing the creek about 10 times and camped at Cottonwood grove. Made 18 miles

Wednesday Sept. 11th 1861 Made a very early start, a cold frosty morning. Crossed the Creek six times more and commenced the ascent of the Big Mountain from whose summit, we had our first view, in part, of Salt Lake Valley, causing various emotions. Passed Milo Andrus' Independent company and camped for the rest of the day at the foot of Little Mountain, 12 miles from G.S.L. City. Elders Jos[eph] Young and A.M. Musser came from the City to settle the emigration business of the camp. Made 10 miles

Thursday Sept. 12th 1861. The greater part of the day was spent in giving our notes for our emigration, the heads of families being called to a tent where the Church agents took our notes[.] Mother and I signed something for some amount of which I had but little conception. Broke camp at 4.p.m and crossed the Little Mountain and camped in Emigration Kanyon [Canyon] = 6 miles

Friday Sept. 13th 1861. Our last camp! I started out ahead of the train, and tramped thru to the bench and had my first peep at Great Salt Lake City which appears well laid out Entered the City at 11.35 Took a stroll around the Main Street looking at the Stores &c and returned to the 8th W[ar]d Public Square and met the train