Transcript for Hans Jensen Hals journal, 25 September 1868, 18-21.


Tuesday, 25—We arrived at Benton, the terminus of the railroad, where we met two companies of Church teams, about 100 teams altogether. We traveled with these teams about seven miles and camped on the North Platte; during the night we had to sleep the best we could without our baggage.

Wednesday, 26—Teams went back to Benton after our baggage. After they returned, we all got very busy with washing our clothes, raising tents, etc.

Thursday, 27—I was busy with accounts, all were busy making ready for the journey with the Church teams.

Friday, 28—Accompanied by Captain John G. Holman I went to Benton to make purchases for the company.




Saturday, 29—I again went to Benton and bought goods for $400. On my return to the camp I opened store in a vagon and distributed such provisions to the saints as they needed for the journey over the mountains. Four persons who had died were buried this day.

Sunday, 30—We loaded the wagons and held a meeting in the evening. The instructions from President Brigham Young were read, and the company was organized. I was appointed chaplain of the company that went with Capt. Holman’s train. There were about 60 wagons, with 12 persons to each wagon. Church Agent Pyper gave instructions to the company.

Monday 31—Accompanied by Brother Carl C. Asmussen I went to Benton and bought some medicine which we thought might be useful for the sick on the journey. We also bought guns and ammunition and other things for a number of the brethren.

Tuesday, Sept. 1—We commenced our journey in the wilderness. I traveled free with the Brothers Christensen, on condition that I should help them on the journey.

Wednesday, 2—I returned to Benton with $700 to purchase a pair of mules and a wagon for Brother Rasmussen, being accompanied by Peter Hansen and Brother Scholdebrand [Skoldebrand]. After making the purchase I was asked to remain in Benton till the next day to receive information about the baggage belonging to the sick.




Thursday, 3—Elder Hiram B. Clawson, William C. Staines and David O. Calder arrived at Benton from New York; they said the baggage belonging to the sick would arrive the next day. In revising the accounts, the brethren returned to me $400, which had been overcharged the company in New York, after which Brother Peter Hansen and I started out with our new team; after traveling about 30 miles we reached the camp of our company.

Friday, 4—Three mule teams were sent back after baggage; and the ox teams continued the journey. The road was dandy and rough. I administered to a number of sick in the evening and spoke encouragingly to the tired saints at the prayer meeting.

Saturday, 5—We traveled over sand hills and hard roads. Two wagons were left behind but were brought up in the evening. The captain killed a wild animal.

Sunday, 6—Two persons, who had died the previous night, were buried. We held a meeting at which the captain spoke comforting words to the saints.

Monday, 7—We arrived at Verrtri gap, where we found a fine camping place. Some of the saints murmured because of the provisions which consisted of bread and meat at every meal.

Tuesday, 8—We arrived at a point on Sweetwater river, where we struck the old emigrant road. The three wagons which were sent back after baggage overtook us.




Wednesday, 9—We traveled up the Sweetwater and camped for the night on that stream. One of our number died, and a little English girl broke her leg. I set the broken limb and blessed her.

Thursday, 10—We arrived at Antelope spring. The weather was cold and the wind, which raised a terrific dust, blowed in our faces all day.

Friday, 11—the unfavorable weather continued. We traveled through the South pass. A messenger was sent to South Pass city with letters.

Saturday, 12—We traveled to Little Sandy

Sunday, 13—Traveled to Big Sandy, where we held a meeting, at which Brother Peter Hansen, Andrew Larson and I spoke to the saints in a spirited manner.

Monday, 14—We arrived at Green river. While the people crossed in the ferry boat the wagons were hauled over through the water. Several necessary articles were bought and fresh provisions distributed at this point.

Tuesday, 15—We remained in camp all day. A numbers of the saints, myself included, suffered with mountain fever.

Wednesday, 16—We traveled to Ham’s Fork over a heavy road. One death occurred during the night.

Thursday, 17—We reached the Muddy. Our oxen strayed away during the night.

Friday, 18—Our oxen were brought back about noon; we traveled up the Muddy and saw large numbers of men working on the railroad grade.

Saturday, 19—Our oxen again strayed away during the night, and it took us half the day to find them. We then traveled to Yellow creek.

Sunday, 20—We traveled past Carter and made camp for the night at the upper end of Echo canyon.




Monday, 21—We traveled down Echo canyon and camped for the night near Coalville, Summit county, Utah.

Tuesday, 22—We passed through Coalville, where I Met Bishop William W. Cluff; camped on Silver creek, for the night.

Wednesday, 23—We traveled by way Kimballs, or through Parley’s park.

Thursday, 24—We crossed the summit of the mountains and camped for the night at the mouth of Parley’s canyon.

Friday, 25—We arrived safe and well in Salt Lake City.