Transcript for Hayward, Ira, Journal, item 2

Travels of the Company of Capt. W. Walling Across the Plains. First Company of the season of 1860. Florence, Neb[raska]. Starting Point.

A. [George Walton] Russel[,] Chaplain: Rules to be observed by the camp: Traveling must be in single file, in close order: halting at noon and camping at night must be as the Captain directs. Each man must take his turn in herding the stock at noon and night, and guarding camp at night, four in each place, two to each watch. The Chaplain shall call the camp to prayers morning and night and preside at worshiping assemblies. All must have their guns and ammunition in order to protect any or all against any foe.

1860 Wed. May 30, Left Florence with 30 wagons. W. Walling, [text missing] camped at the Papauw [Papillion Creek], a small rivulet.

Thurs. 31–Camped at Raw Hide.

Friday June 1–Camped at Barbors.

Sat. June 2–Camped at Shell Creek. Child died belonging to Br [Hyrum Bowles] Morris.

Sun. 3–Camped At Cleveland. Drove to Clear Creek.

Mon. 4–Came to clear Stream called the Looking Glass. Camped at Looking Glass.

Tues. 5–Crossed the Loupe [Loup] fork on ferry boat at Genoa and camped. Leaving Genoa was like leaving home. three years ago, I with three or four hundred people reached this place and commenced to plow and fence. A townsite was surveyed about a mile square with streets eight rods wide. Ten acre blocks, eight lots in a block. There was but one log house between us and Omaha, one hundred miles east. We lived here until August 1859, when a Government Indian Agent ordered us to vacate. One month was allowed us to move our fences, hay and grain stacks over the imaginery line about eighty rods east. If anything was left after that date, it was Uncle Sam's. He said we were on Indian soil.

6–Traveled west and 37 camped at the Lone Tree.

7–We were now between two rivers, and as we did not travel the same ground as the Pioneers for a long distance, I quoted no camping ground for several days. They crossed the Loupe fork about forty miles above. We left the hilly region on the north, and the low country west and south was a hazy sea of earth and sky; not a tree to relieve the monotony. We used the buffalo excrement for fuel.

June 15–Traveling on buffalo Creek. Saw several (buffalo). Tried to shoot some but they was to old. They were to wise for us.

16–Camped on the platte. The wind raging tremendous.

Sunday 17–Traveled till 10 o'clock. Met thirty-four wagons from England. Held a meeting, then dismissed, yoked up and was on our road again.

19–Traveled to Skunk Creek and camped.

20–Met two wagons, H. G. Giddings and family. Camped on the Platte[.] Very stormy, so baptized 11.

21–Met quite a number of Sioux Indians past their Lodge. Did a little trading. Quite friendly. They were fine looking men and proud of it. Very heavy roads and hills. Camped on the platte. had a dance at night.

22–Met several Indians. Came to some very heavy sand hills. California train passed us. Camped on the platte.

23–Crossed several creeks. One On Rolling (?) Creek. Eat dinner[,] on to the platte. Small ceder trees on the South Side. Cloudy day. Camped on the platte.

Sunday 24–Came to some Rock bluffs. Traveled till noon then stopped for the day. Good feed for the cattle. Very heavy rain at night.

25, Monday–Cloudy day. Came to some very heavy sand hills. Had to double teams. Crossed before dinner. Camped on the platte.

26–cloudy day. Passed a few Indians and their tents; some traders with them. Passed Ash Hollow before dinner, it being on the south side. Stopped for dinner, passed Castle ruins. Our stock doing well. Camped about 3 miles from the platte. Dug well for water.

27–Very warm and cloudy. Passed some very heavy sand hills; had to double teams. Camped on the platte.

28–Rain in the morning. Passed High Bluffs on the right hand side. "Chimney Rock" in sight. fine in the afternoon. Met five wagons returning from Chimney Rock.

29–Fine day. Mostly good road. Got opposite Chimney; I should judge within about 3 miles. It is on the south side of the platte. It is quite a peculiar sight. Any amount of alkali around here. Camped about a mile from the platte. A cool breeze from the south; thunder storm in the night.

30–Warm day. Passed 9 California wagons. Passed some lodges of Indians. Did a little trading. camped on the Platte (river) a few miles east of Scotts Bluffs, 65 miles of Laramie.

Sunday July 1, 1860–Passed Scotts Bluffs before noon. Good road. Very hot in the afternoon. Thunder showers in the evening. Camped at a spring about 2 miles from the river. Good feed. Full moon. Laramie's Peak in sight.

2–Pleasant day. Camped on the platte.

3–Heavy winds. Reached Laramie within 4 miles.

July 4, 1860–Cannons roaring from the fort. Several of us fire our guns in honor of the day. Passed the fort early in the morning. Looked like a nice place. Very warm. Some of the boys went to the fort. Passed it a few miles and camped in a bend. Broke Bro. Davey's [Davis'] wagon. We commenced to travel the Black Hills. Drove allmost all day. Very hot. Camped on the platte. Traders lives here. Feed poor.

6–Laid by to day mending wagons. Some Californians passed us.

7–Roads some better. Travelled all day without feed. Very dusty. Cold in the morning. Camped on a nice Creek. Some Indians here and traders. Picked up a man that was left yesterday on the road.

July 8, Sunday–Travled half a day. Reached the platte. Turned our stock on the other side of the river to feed. Little rain in the evening.

9–Good roads. Cold in the morning. Reached some rugged Bluffs; in the afternoon we struck the Platte again. Feed scarce. Rain.

10–Hot in the middle of the day. Some very rough mountains. Came to the platte again and crossed the river.

11–Some very heavy sands. Came to a low bottom on the Platte. Cold in the evening.

12–Past Dear Creek early in the morning. There is a ferry here and a few houses. It is on the South side of the platte. Heavy sandy roads through the day. Stormy. In the evening passed a Poison Springs. Camped by the Platte.

13–Laid by to rest our stock and our-selves. Hares and rabbits in abundance.

14–Heavy sandy roads. Passed the lower Platte Bridge. Camped in a bend of the river. Good feed. Here we got some saluratus of excellent quality. Passed Poison Springs.

Sunday July15, 1860–Passed the upper Bridge; sandy roads. Camped at Mineral Springs.

16–Good roads. Made a long drive. Reached Grease Wood Creek. Good water. Passed Willow Springs at noon. Cow a little sick. Passed several persons from Utah and Oregon.

17–Heavy sandy roads. Reached Independence rock at noon. Went to the top of it. Camped by a rocky mountain west of Devil's Gate.

18–Very dusty. Camped on the Sweet Water.

19–Good roads. Crossed the sweet water twice in the afternoon. There is a trading post here. We camped in side [sight] of the rocky mountains. Good feed.

18th July–The sun tried to show its face this morning, but failed. Something intervened between us and it. It looks curious. May be eclipsed.

July 20, Sunday–Laid by for the day. Heavy thunder in the after-noon. Rain at night.

21–Eat dinner on the sweet water, early. Heavy roads in the afternoon with much rain. Drove in the rain till night. Came to some spring water and camped for the night. Heavy rain in the night. Passed Ice Springs. There are two roads here; one going north and the other west. We take the west road. Heavy roads because of rain. We traveled all day with but a halt. Our custom is to bait two hours at noon.

Sunday July 22–Fine morning. Drove before breakfast. The country rolling. Passed a small stream early in the morning. Camped in a small valley. Good feed now on the mountains to the right. The country here is of Volcanic nature. A little circumstance occurred here that raised the camp at night. I was on guard; about midnight I heard the clattering of the hoofs of a horse a long distance off. Our wagons were in a circle each side of the road. The night was still as death. When in hailing distance, I shouted, " Who comes there". The clatter stopped immediately. A voice was heard, "Poney Express." "Come on." The clatter started afresh. He rode on a gallop through the camp, many wondering what was up.

23–Fine day. Country rolling. Drove till reached the Sweet Water about one o'clock. Laid by for the day. Good feed.

24–Fine day. Passed a station where the old road comes in. There is two of the Mormon boys here from Utah trading. Camped about 5 miles from the Pacific Springs.

25–Started from the summit of the rocky Mountains. Traveled a few miles and ate dinner at the Pacific Springs. Started again at 12 o'clock and reached William Creek at ½ past 10 o'clock in the evening. Heavy rain in the afternoon and night. Roads good. Feed scarce.

26–Traveled 5 miles and camped for the day. Feed poor. Very showery. Streams of water now races for the Pacific Ocean.

27–Still on the desert, after a short drive crossed the big Sandy. Made our way on till after noon. Camped on the road. A merchant passed to day. Gave us news from the trains behind. All well. Fine day. Feed scarce.

28–Travled and struck the big Sandy about 10 o'clock. Traveled up it a few miles and camped.

29–Sunday–The first ox died at this place on our train. owned by Dr. [Morrill Lockwood] Davis. Made Green River about 1 o'clock. Ferried over. Fare a dollar a wagon. Made about ten miles past the ferry. Camped on the Bluffs.

30–Monday–Struck Black's Fork at noon, 15 miles from Green river, passed Hams Fork. Camped on Black's Fork.

31–Good roads. Made one drive to Black's fork.

August 1, 1860–Good roads. Came within four miles of Fort Bridger.

2–Past Fort Bridger early in the morning. pretty place. Stopped for dinner few miles past it. Four of the boys stays here to work. Eight men and two wagons starts to the City with a sixk [sick] girl. weather pleasant.

3–Hard days travel. Ascend the highest point on our travel between the Atlantic and the Pacific. Camped in a bottom. Nights very cold.

4–Traveled about 8 miles and camped for the day. Feed good. Two of the boys from Salt Lake stayed here to feed. We traded a little. Showery at midnight. A fine cow died.

5, Sunday–Fine day. Met several of Uncle Sam's men and wagons. Struck Echo Kanyon [Canyon] a little after noon. Travled a considerable distance. Roads good. We left another dead cow at our camp grounds this morning.

6–fine day. Captain Stokey past us with 8 wagons loaded with goods. Got out of Echo kanyon a little after noon. The people at this Station told us of a different route so we changed our course and camped about 3 miles up Weber River. Good feed up the river.

7–Traveled up the river past several farms. Camped at the mouth of Three Mile Canyon.

8–Rough roads up the Kanyon. Passed the summit. Reached Parley's Park about noon. Excellent feed. Travled on some awful roads. Camped at the foot of the little mountain very late. Parley's Park is a stock ranch. The keepers and their stock looked well. We were made welcome.

9–very hot. Down hill all the way. Rough roads. Reached the Great Salt Lake City about 4 o'clock.

President Young with Bro. Spencer visited us in his carriage after our arrival. They congratulated us upon our safety, and welcomed us to the city. Bro. Spencer kindly offered us his pasture for the cattle, which was much appreciated. Altogether it was a pleasant trip. We had no trouble in the camp or out. We were surely blest of the Lord to whom we sought daily for protection for ourselves and cattle; and we gave him the glory. In the 70 days travel we made about 1000 miles.