Transcript for Hezekiah Mitchell journal, 1854 June-September

Sunday 18th June 1854 Was on the west side of Grand River Carroll County, good feed for the cattle, many mosquitoes and flies to torment the cattle and ourselves. My son (my Father) read some of the Revelations, translations and naratives of Joseph Smith, we conversed on the things we read with pleasure. We fed the cattle well, rejoiced we were going to Zion. Warm day.

Monday 19th We early fed the team, got breakfast, hitched up the cattle and put out on our route again, traveled along the bank of the Grand River about two and a half miles then took a more westerly course across the bottoms than assended a little assent to higher ground, good road and a little breeze which made it pleasant traveling, crossed a sort of prairie, after which we got some milk, went about a half mile farther, over the bridge, unhitched the cattle, sat down and got dinner having traveled nine miles from Grand River, having rested about two hours, we journey on over prairie land about six miles, making in all fifteen miles today from Grand River, and one mile from Brunswick. A little rain and thunder which cooled the air considerable. Camped on the prairie near a small patch of timber.

Tuesday 20th Looked out on the Heavens and saw the Stars shining beautifully, laid down and slept a short time, waked up and it rained pretty fast, but was worse, saw the yoke of cows had got loose and were gone, made all haste to dress my son and myself too, then we set out to seek them, having sought a while but in vain. We started to the last house we had passed the night before to see if they had come that way, but man of the house had not seen them. I asked him if he would put them in his lot if he saw them, yes! Anyhow I will go see if they are among your stock, found them there to my satisfaction, brought them to the wagon where we camped about one mile. Quite wet through, after a while cleared up, made a fire, got breakfast, yoked up cattle ready for a start. Two wagons passed us from N. Carolina with horse teams for P. C. Put out ourselves a little after them, found it bad traveling in consequence of the rain. Got into Carrolton about three o’clock, small town for a county seat, nothing particular in it. After leaving town we crossed Wawkindall Creek and came on the prairie or Missouri bottom, traveled on until we came to a mill, by inquiry found we had gone a little out of our way, however, we went along Moss Creek till we came into the right road, camped about a mile from the Mill among some Poplar trees on the bottom or prairie, fine evening after the rain and a little thunder, the air cool and clear. Traveled about eleven miles today.

Wednesday 21st June Fine morning, having fed cattle and breakfasted we set out again. Road rather soft in place, sang a few Hymns, had a present of a little milk, it being 11 o’clock we got dinner then went on our way having a long journey before we can get off the prairie, the grass quite fine, several patches of Poplar trees on different parts of the prairie to shade the cattle on hot days. However we got over at last, having traveled 17 miles. Camped near where the stage changes horses, bought corn for the cattle, paid 25 cents for a half a bushel, cool evening.

Thursday 22nd After breakfast yoke the cattle and set out again, to get on the prairie and let the cattle eat, road bad till we came to Crooked River, crossed over the bridge, had to pay 40 cents for toll, the bridge in very bad condition shook very much, my heart ached while crossing it, it appeared as if it had moved in the middle down the stream, besides the foundation bearing the middle pillars have run considerable in fact it is a dangerous concern and ought to be repaired or a new one put over the river. Got on the prairie let the cattle eat their breakfast. The road to Richmond was all through the timber. Got into Richmond about three. The Court House is after the s[t]yle of all the court houses we have seen on the route. The main street is Macadamised, a good looking and clean place. Bought flour and meat, warm day, traveled about 12 or 13 miles, camped at a poor place for feed but tolerable good water, about one mile from town. Fine day.

Friday 23rd Beautiful morning, some good houses on the road, beautifully situated but the land where it is not under cultivation is poor. Met a wagon returning from Nebraska, bought one dozen Oats for 25 cents. Camped near a good spring but no grass consequently we had to feed our team, late before we put down for the night, traveled about 13 miles.

Saturday 24th After the necessary preparation we started again, tolerable high ground on which the road was pretty steep decent into the bottom and with all very rough and stony, crossed east fork of Fish River at the bottom of the hill where there is a Saw Mill. The road from here to Fish River is very rocky and with considerable steep assents and decents, afterwards the road generally to Liberty is good. Camped within two miles of Liberty. Plenty of water but little grass, bought two dozen oats for 40 cents. While traveling on the road thought much about Elder P[arley] P. Pratt and others when they were in prison and the time they made their escape to Illinois. Important the time, because it was the one on which the independence of this country was gained and the time P. P. Pratt and others got their liberty from prison. Having just put down another person when a horse team came up, himself and two children, camped with us for the night, bound for Nebraska, invited him to supper but he declined stating that he had been to supper. Traveled 12 miles.

Sunday 25th Fine day, my son read P.P.P. (Pratt) Persecution and escape from prison, we have traveled over considerable of the way he did on his way to Illinois. Rejoiced at having to pass through the same parts of the country where he and Joseph the Prophet and others were in prison at Liberty. Talked a little about matters and things.

Monday 26th Set out on our route again, just as we were going into Liberty the cattle were a little unruly in going down into town. On the hill facing the town stands a college. It is a good building, has an imposing appearance from town. Some good buildings in it, tolorable large town, passed on through your town to Barry, distance 10 miles, passed through Barry three miles on the road to Platt[e] City where we could get feed for the cattle, traveled about fourteen and a half miles, road very uneven but otherwise good.

Tuesday 27th Fixed up and traveled to Platt[e] City, small place for a city, but I suppose they have priviledges that others have not. Good looking Court House with other substantial buildings, crossed Platt[e] River on a good bridge having a right and left passage. Boutht [bought] flour and meal at the Mill. Got a little dinner in the bottoms, then we traveled on to within about four miles of the ferry. Camped on the road side, could not get change for a five dollar piece consequently the cattle had to go without supper. Warm day, much trouble with prickly heat. Traveled 13 miles.

Wednesday 28th Got one dozen Lbb. Oats. Fed cattle and started for the ferry, most awful bad road very steep in assending and as steep or more so in decending, broke the lock chain in going down over so steep and rocky. Got to the ferry, bought a few things at store, got on the ferry boat, passed over. Paid 2.25 dollars for ferryage, landed on the Nebraska or Kansas [side] of the Missouri about three or four miles from Fort L[eavenworth], saw Brother Farr. Glad to see us, went on until we got to the Fort, then passed on to Salt Creek about four miles farther where there were a company of Saints. Much sickness has been amongst them. Some 25 or 30 persons have died of the Cholera. Camped with them. Good feed and water. Traveled about 12 miles, day very hot.

Thursday 29th Fixed up and started with two other brethern for the main camp about 15 miles more in the County. Good road. Had three yoke of Bro. E[l]dredge’s cattle hitched to my wagon. Got to headquarters about three in the afternoon, found all well except Sister Pratt. Very warm indeed. Camped near President Pratt and Eldredge. Traveled 15 miles.

Friday 30th Saw President O[rson] Pratt and Elder Eldreage [Eldredge] and Elder Fielding, glad to get into the Company, all appeared to be glad to see us, walked about the Camp to see if I knew any one. Very hot day, greased wagon with other little matters. Saw several Indians about one mile from camp. My wife waited on Sister O. Pratt.

Saturday July 1st Hitched up the cattle, set out for the other camp about seven miles distant, traveled briskly got in about 12 o’clock, cut down large sapling, put the cattle to it and hawled it to the wagon. Saw Bro. S. Will not having seen him for upwards of seven years. Very fine day, but a good breeze which made it more pleasant. The rest of the wagons came in about five o’clock. Handed drink of water to Elder Elderage [Eldredge]. Formed a correll in order for the cattle to be put in for the night.

Sunday July 2nd 1854 Enjoyed ourselves in meetings, some business done in reference to organization of Company. Warm day.

Monday 3rd After arranging matters etc., we made another start. It took some time before we could get off, traveled about 17 or 18 miles. Met by Elder Pratt who requested me to go on the opposite side the creek. Elder Brown has provided you two yoke of cattle to help you on the other side. Got up to the Camp and met with pleasure Brothers Billon and Treonice, rejoiced to see them. Pleasant day.

Tuesday 4th Nothing very particular today. Warm day.

Wednesday 5th Got Brothers S. Wells and Furnair to bore holes in tire to put nails to hold it on because it was loose. One death, a boy. My son appointed clerk and historian (Fred A. Mitchell father of Ralph T. Mitchell) for the Camp. Warm with thunder, lightning and rain in the evening. Got all the wagons into camp today.

Thursday 6th Left our camp place and traveled five miles. Elders H. E. Eldridge [Eldredge] and Brown left us to go to Weston to purchase 12 yoke of oxen and get more teamsters. Fine weather.

Friday 7th Traveled five miles.

Saturday 8th Camped the whole day, one or two Brethren came from the other camp about 30 miles ahead. Cold day. Watched.

Sunday 9th 1854 After adjusting matters we got ready to start but we found some cattle was missing. Brothers Keysler and Golding mounted horses to search for them. Could not be found. Then we started, having traveled a few miles Captain Russell overtook us and informed us that the Indians had taken two yoke of our cattle. Brown, Pratt, Keysler, Golding and many others went in search of them, but they had fled. The brother that saw them said they would shoot rather than give them up. Got to our camp place a little before sun down. Fine day.

Monday 10th Considerable dew on the grass this morning, also a number of the brethern to repair the road just before crossing the Big Grasshopper Creek, after we had done we forded it and camped about a half mile from the Creek. But before we had all got into the corral we moved a little father off because there was a very bad smell airing from a grave in which a person who had died from the Cholera was interred. On watch three hours. Bro. Keysler put a tongue in a wagon that had been broken. The Camp healthy except Sister Pratt and a child belonging to a brother sick with the measles. Fine day. On watch for three hours.

Tuesday 11th Traveled about 20 miles, one ox died, hot day and hot wind made it hard for the cattle, on watch two hours. Saw Sister Turner and others from Alston. (Probably Alston England)

Wednesday 12th Got wood for fire and water for cattle. One man broke wagon tongue in crossing the creek. Perfect crossing. Bought 100 lbs flour from Bro. Loba for $4.00. He is a Swiss brother. Fine morning, traveled about 10 miles.

Thursday 13th Moved about six miles more with all the Camp, got to camp place about ten o’clock. Brother H. S. Eldridge [Eldredge] got into camp about two p.m. Rain.

Friday 14th Camp divide and all the family wagons to go on under the Presidency of Elder Brown. 41 or 2 in all, we set out about nine o’clock, traveled about 23 miles today. On watch two hours.

Saturday 15th Set out and traveled about 12 miles, not well today. Met a number of wagons bound for the States, etc. Some of the drivers are slow and careless about getting up their team together, which can delay. Cool day but fine. Meeting called, the president gave Sunday instructions relative to our well being. Good council.

Sunday 16th Being called together by the sound of the Horn and being notified the previous day, we brought our Guns. When President Brown put us in the ranks and put us through a little exercise preparitory to our going on our journey that we might be ready for the indians if they molested us; after about 14 miles travel we got to the Big Blue, which we commenced to ford, I forded my wagon without the assistance of any more team, then we went to the top of the high ground and camped. After supper etc, I and my son were called on guard from 10 to 12 in the night, being armed with a rifle and pistol. The Saints were requested to put out lights and be still. The guard a strict ingoing around the corral and watching the cattle which were restless.

Monday 17th Fixed up things and set out again being counseled to take our arms on our shoulders that we might be ready for any emergency. After traveling a few miles a company of men were seen, supposed to be indians at which we armed ourselves carrying our guns on our shoulders and our whip in the other hand which made quite a formidable appearance but after all they proved to be a number returning from California. They said there was no danger at which I said it was best to be prepared, say the road from Kansas, after traveling a few miles past it, one Dr. Richardson overtook us and other man seeking out a place for them to camp. Traveled 13 miles crossed Cottonwood Creek and camped on the right of the road. The other side being reserved for the Saints from Kansas. A brother and a sister were united in Holy Matrimony (from Dr. Richardson’s Camp) by President Brown from our camp. On guard at the time and saw the ceremony in Brother Brown’s tent.

Tuesday 18th The Dr’s company started a little ahead of us but we kept in sight of them frequently we might have overtaken them but President Brown manafest considerable wisdom in not forcing the cattle, but giving them time to rest at dinner and time to feed and drink. No timber for fire and but little water, traveled 17 miles.

Wednesday 19th After the necessary arrangements were set out on our journey again, traveled three miles then to creek called Turkey Creek. Some little difficulty in getting over for some of our wagons, however we all got over safe and rolled on. Saw the other camp in the distance. Turned out in the after part of the day to be very hot even oppressive to the cattle, but our God looked upon us and sent seasonable thunder, lightning and copious showers of rain, which cooled the cattle, revived them and wet the face of nature and did our wagons good for some of them wanted rain because the tires were loose on a few. On guard, had to travel much in circumference to get the cattle within bounds.

Thursday 20th, 1854 The road being repaired, set out again, pretty bad place to get down to the creek and a little difficult in getting up the bank because the land was rather steep and the ground being sleek in consequence of the rain, traveled on a few miles, down several steep decents then came to big Sandy Creek; forded it and went on our way for a few miles and camped on the open prairie or plain where there was no wood but water and grass plenty. Passed by several creeks but they were dry. Traveled 13 miles.

Friday 21st Very foggy this morning and cold, very unwell in my bowels but hoped it would abate on the contrary it rather increased[.] took some Cayenne Pepper in a little water which releaved it some. Crossed several dry creeks, the road was rather rough; overtook Fr. Richardsons Company, set down for dinner my wife made me a basin of gruel, which did me considerable good. Fixed up and set out again until we got to Little Blue and then camped having traveled 15 miles.

Saturday 22nd Left Camp ground after breakfast, prayers, singing and excellent counsel from Pres. Brown. Fine day and good order in our marching. Saw four wagons and one buggy, they may be apostates from Salt Lake City; kept marching along Little Blue. Some thunder in the evening. Camped after traveling 16 or 17 miles.

Sunday 23rd When the necessary arrangements were made, we hitched up our cattle and set out on our route again, one of my lead cattle was a little lame but not to prevent him from traveling; just before we sat down for dinner we passed a Skellton indian Village about 20 in number. One birth this morning. Saw the other camp a little distance ahead of us. After resting ourselves and teams we rolled on and came up with the other camp, exchanged a few words with them and passed on, found a camping place about two or three miles past them, after supper I stripped myself and washed me all over. Some good observations from Brother Brown in relation to our journey. One child blessed. Pretty clear in the after part of the day, the land round about here is very uneven as if some parts had fallen in or sunk. Plenty of water and wood moderate grass, traveled about 16 miles today.

Monday 24th Moved at seven this morning and persued our journey having a few bad places to get over, crossed two sloughs which were connected with the Little Blue. The first was pretty deep in some places, but the water was beneficial for the cattle and wagons, however, we got over them tolerably, considering all things, the road generally speaking is very uneven in places so is the land on each side of the river. Saw another Skeleton indian Village about 20 miles from the other both on the Little Blue River, but we have not seen any indians as yet. Met a train of wagons returning I suppose from Fort Larimie [Laramie]. Brother Brown bought a yoke of cattle for Sister Wolerton also Bro. Turner bought a yoke. Camped near the river, wood and tim[b]er pleaty, but the grass is not so good as some we have had. No accidents today. This is a memorable day. The day when the Pioneers entered the Valley of the Great Salt Lake in search of a place to build a City to The Lord over in the Tops of the Mountains where a standard might be unfurled and the nations of the Earth flow thereto. Cool morning but about dinner it was very hot, after while it got a little more comfortable because the wind began to blow a little. Traveled on our route 12 miles today. On watch two hours.

Tuesday 25th After eating breakfast and attending prayers and adjusting matters, we set out at ten minutes past seven o’clock, moved on very well and in order, how well the camp looks in [when] order is preserved in our marchings. Journeyed eight miles and set down for dinner. Conversed considerable with several of the brethren on things of the Kingdom. Turned out to shoot some game but found none. One of my cattle rather lame, good road with few exceptions. Camped where there was good water and grass but no wood. Traveled 18 miles spoke a little at our meeting and prayed. Rejoiced in the company of the Saints. Fine weather.

Wednesday 26th Moved on about 12 minutes to 7, good road with a little decent, saw the Kansas Company at a distance behind us. Met five carriages with mules and horses about eight miles from Fort Kearney. Beautiful day for traveling. Burst my rifle this morning only received a slight bruise on my left eye. Traveled 17 miles. Camped in sight of the Fort and near the Platt[e] River. On guard two hours.

Thursday 27th Rolled out from camping place at 7 o’clock, morning very cool, having rained and thundered some in the night. Journeyed six miles and came to Fort Kearney. It appears but a poor place for defense as a Fort. A few of the Saints bought some articles, we bought three lbs. of beef at 10 cents a lb. Having traded we passed on; came to two families which had been left from the Fields Company, one family said he would not go if we would give several oxen (he had made shipwreck of the faith) but the other appears to have hold of the right end of the matter, he gave us a little antelope meat and taste of buffalo beef. Kept marching on slowly because it was very hot. Saw several Buffalo. President Brown and others went to see if they could shoot one, but did not kill one. Saw six wagons with some loose cattle, mules and horses coming from behind Fort Larimie [Laramie]. Turned to the right of the road for to camp, continued to move until we came in sight of the Platt[e] River when we found a corral, took our cattle down to the river and watered them by lifting water from the river with a bucket. Had to make our fires to cook with of buffalo dung which is a very good substitute for wood. All is life and activity when cooking, watching, singing, talking, laughing and little boys and girls are running, jumping, skipping about camp, a great work and a wonder. Traveled 18 miles.

Friday 28th July, 1854 Moved out as usual, traveled a few miles when a buffalo was shot, while Brother Brown was away Captain Stiles moved out of his place with nearly all of his company, which created considerable stir. Mine as well as other cattle were near being hurt. They have not much order in or about them. On watch two hours, very hot. Traveled 13 miles.

Saturday 29th Rolled out at 25 minutes to 7 o’clock in order. My steer still lame, but got along as well as any other considering all things, traveled till about 11 and then set down for dinner. Saw a considerable number of buffalo. Warm misty day. Dr. [Darwin] Richardson’s Company put out before us after dinner, we followed at one o’clock; Saw eight wagons returning from Salt Lake. They were apostates, one family I knew were from Nottingham, England, by the name of Soar. I soon finished up with them. Some little disorder after watering our teams, camped where there was wood plenty of water and grass. Called on the [to] pray by President Brown at our evening meeting. He made some good remarks in the shape of council. Traveled 15 miles.

Sunday 30th On watch from 4 to 6 in the morning. Elder [James] Brown shot a young buffalo and called on us to go and get some. Cleaned out my wagon, washed myself all over. President Brown was kicked by his horse which hurt him considerable, by his request Elder Buckland and myself anointed him with oil and laid hands on that the Lord might bless and relieve him of his pain, he received benefit from the ordinance. Called on by the Chaplin to pray at the opening of our meeting. Agerman Elder addressed us for a short time and then spoke to his brethren in the German language. Elder Buckland and myself also spoke and gave such council as we were led by the Spirit. Good meeting, the Spirit was with us. Sang in Brother Brown’s tent. Very fine day, one or two Californians passed us today with mules. Saw the prairies on fire at a distance.

Monday 31st Moved out from camping place at 7. My steer very lame yet, traveled on till about 12 then set down for dinner; it came very hot at this time. Traveled on as usual saw a considerable number of buffalo. Shortened President Brown’s stirrup to give him more ease in riding. Journeyed about 17 or 18 miles, at our prayer meeting there was manifest a spirit of dissatisfaction yea even rebellion against the order which President Brown had persued. Captain Obery [Obray] appeared at the head of it and wanted reason or reasons to have the made of things altered; Oh! I dislike such spirits.

Tuesday August 1st, 1854 Set out on our journey as before but President Brown and one or two more stayed with Sister Wolerton to assist her because one of her cows was calving. At dinner my steer gave out, I put in his place Sister Wolerton’s cow by permission of President Brown. Traveled well after. Met a company returning from Fort Larimie [Laramie], they had returned in 13 days. Camped near the timber and Platt[e] River, plenty of grass, wood and water. Went to meet my son and Wolerton’s Wagon, some thunder and symptoms of rain, on watch from 4 to 6 in the morning. Through difficulties and trails that we get to the Mountains. Traveled 16 miles.

Wednesday 2nd Rather uncomfortable in traveling because it had rained. A sort of wet day, cloudy with some thunder. President Brown seeing we were putting out [our] lame ox in yoke, he said he would die before we got ten miles, he got me Sister Thorp’s cow in his place, she does not travel as well as some does, traveled some 18 miles, turned off the road a mile and a half where there was grass, wood and water, and with all plenty of misquitos in the bargain.

Thursday 3rd On guard from 12 to 2, the misquitos were troublesome, set out at 20 minutes to 7, turned out of the road a little and knelt me down to pray while doing so, some supernatural being walked past, no doubt some evil spirit with no good design, knowing that I wanted to petition my Father in Heaven for His protection on the journey and for Him to bless my team with health. Conversed freely with Elder Buchland [Aldonus DeLaFayette Buckland] on things pertaining to the Kingdon of God. After camping near some springs, they on the right of the road and we on the hill on the left. After supper I set out to meet my son who had stayed with my ox that had given out, he fell down and could not travel any farther. Brother Brown bored his horns, one of them bled a little. Met my son coming on without the steer, entirely given out for traveling, very much purged myself with apin [pain] in my bowels. The Danish camp behind us. Traveled 20 miles today.

Friday 4th Moved on at 7. Brother Brown said we should have some flour and he would see if he could let us have a steer, he is a first rate man, has the good of the Saints at heart. Quite unwell today, road all day, fine but cold. When we got near to where we were for camping to our unspeakable joy we met Elders Benson and Snow of the Twelve and O. Spencer, Eldridge and others from the Valley on missions, one to England the others to the States, all well. We had a first rate meeting, Brothers Spencer and Benson addressed us. Traveled 18 miles. Left the Danish camp.

Saturday 5th After the necessary preparation we set out again. Bed farewell to the Brethern and shook hands with them, received their blessing. Captain Obery [Obray] left his post after he had pledged himself to see his ten safely in the Valley. He was our Chaplain also, but it seems as if he did not care for the flock. Stopped a little then journeyed on as usual till we came to a suitable place to camp. After supper we had a good meeting. Brother Brown presided, called on me to pray then he gave us instructions. Traveled 18 miles.

Sunday August 6, 1854 After prayers, etc. we put out on our journey, traveled 12 miles and came to the South Fork of the Platt[e] River. Got a little dinner then crossed it by fording the same, very ruff sandy bottom, not two feet in deepest part of the water, other parts not over the shoe tops, camped just on the river bank. Good meeting and excellent advice from Pres. Brown. Fine day.

Monday 7th Put out as usual after the preliminaries. On guard from 3 to 5. The cattle a little disturbed which made them run right and left. President Brown requested me to go with him and speak with Sister [Mary] Wolerton in reference to her cow because she was not able to travel. She was willing to let her go where she would, therefore I with others unyoked her. No water where we started to get a little dinner. Met after dinner a company of persons returning from Fort Larimie [Laramie] who said there was a company about 3 miles ahead of us. Came to a very steep hill to go down before we got into Ash Hollow, got down without any accident. Some disorder getting over the bottom because of some of the wagons in the Second Company going out of their place and it being a sandy road which made President Brown very cross. Camped near the River, the other camp had moved off before we got there, they must have heard that we were on hand, traveled 18 miles. Brother Fielding’s wagon oversits.

Tuesday 8th Cattle over the river to feed, some trouble in getting them back, set out at half past 7, high blufs on the left or south of the road and the River Platt[e] on the north side, very romantic appearance. Some persons were building a mail station of Cedar Logs. Road good in some places but for the most part of the day traveled it was very sandy which made it very heavy hauling, got on moderately, traveled about 12 miles, fine and warm. Camped on the edge of the river, no wood, plenty of water, not much grass.

Wednesday 9th Traveled through considerable sand and about as much good road, which made it more easy for the teams. Traveled 15 miles. Fine day but dusty about the wagons. One cow calved. On the bank on the River we camped, where there was much grass and water. A few rocks on the south of the River on which were engraved several names, one Huston from Kentuckey [Kentucky]. Spoke at our meeting and enjoyed the Spirit. Bad spirit manafest by Brother Stevens, Brother Mackswell’s [Maxwell’s] ox died in the course of the night being over worked.

Thursday 10th Put out on our journey as usual, traveled along the bank of the river or near so. Very hot sun with some thunder and a little rain. Saw two wagons returning from S. L. C. camped on the North Platt[e] in sight of Chimney Rock, water good and tolerable good grass, buffalo dung for fire wood, traveled 17 miles.

Friday 11th Traveled ___ miles today (for some reason he did not list the number of miles)

Saturday 12th Set out as usual, when we had traveled 5 miles Elders Benson and others overtook us, we corraled immediately when they laid their business before us, viz, they wanted 5 yoke of cattle to help the Freit train on, they having lost 120 head of cattle, they got them[.] after dinner we set out again and traveled 12 miles making 17 miles in all. The country is very hilly in places, passed Chimney Rock. The Danish camp set down at dinner time when we did.

Sunday 13th Journeyed 21 miles overtook Dr. Richardson’s and Smith Companies, camped under the Bluff, very little grass and no water for the cattle.

Monday 14th Set out at 5 o’clock in the morning, passed the other two camps, met several wagons from Fort Larimie [Laramie], stopped for dinner, the other two camps came up and corraled. We put out again and made our days journey 20 miles, where there was very good grass and plenty with water and buffalo dung for the fire. Rained sharply.

Tuesday 15th Turned out after the necessary preparations, found the road rather heavy in places, set down near some water for dinner, after which we journey again about 4 or 5 miles, we came in sight of a Sioux Camp of Indians, about 4000 in number, we had to pass right through them, however as we were making headway, we had intelligence that they were our friends as such we turned to the right and camped amongst them. They gathered in their horses and oxen to make room for ours to feed. Excellent horseman and women, the women riding as the men do, several come up to us, one Chief came and told us where we could get wood after which another person of distinction came and told us where we could camp and guarded our camp from the indians own Nation. He shot an arrow at one who was coming on horseback at a galloping speed, at another he fired his gun just at his feet, he would not allow any of his natives to molest or come near. Went up to the store, saw several, shook hands with one or two of them, went down to their large temple or what so every name they may give it, and saw them dancing, singing, playing music, etc. the sounds are not very harmonious, they had a fire in the mouth or entrance of the place, it is a large round tent. It looks well inside. Very unceremonious in their manners. Apt to take what is not theirs, left them for I did not like their ways, neither did my wife.

Wednesday 16th Set up at 4 without breakfast in order to get some grass for the cattle, collected a little flour in camp for the person who had kept guard (over the Indians his party) for his trouble. Journ[y]ed on until we got near the Fort, then we put down for dinner etc. After which we passed on. Job Smith’s Company came on and we forded the river at the Fort Larimie [Laramie] both at one time. The Fort is a tolorable good looking place for its location. Wednesday 16th continued[.] Two Elders buried in this grave yard. Very heavy traveling until we got to higher ground, came to the River by descending down a ruff road and camped traveled ___ miles. On guard 3 hours.

Thursday 17th The camp was divided into four divisions that is each captain of ten was to go out with his ten and lead them the rest of the journey to the Valley because the feed is scarce, ultimately there are only three companies, because Captain Stiles was not supported in his office. After traveling all day we camped where there was little feed, but water and wood. Some little difficulty with the cattle belonging to the Smith Company and ours because they had camped too near us, on watch through the night, traveled 17½ miles.

Saturday 19th Just as we were starting an Indian came to the camp, and as we passed on for several miles we met droves of Indians, I should think not less than 500[.] tye [they] appeared very friendly till the last company of them were passing us when they spread a blanket and pointed an arrow at Captain Booths lead steer. We expected a fuss, but we gave them a little bread and all was right, they are of the Cheyenne tribe. The road is very uneven in the first place having to assend a steep hill a quarter up, then we passed Hebers Spring a little on the right, which brought us to a bluff ¾ of a mile up, we had to double teams then it was bad to get up, but we accomplished it. Traveled ten and a half miles.

Sunday 20th The road is a continuation of hills and hollows, otherwise it is good today. We met more indians, not so many as the day before, we passed on till we came to the La Bonte River near which the Fields Company and Captain Bucklands were out of repair. I was appointed Boss. On Monday we did the repairs.

Monday 21st Commenced repairing the wagons, put two new fellows and one new spoke in one wheel that had been broken, put ark on others and heated the tires so that they were tight when cold. In the after part of the day President Brown was taken ill of the Cholera. I administered to him but he appeared no better, he was much cramped in his bowels and legs. He requested us to lay hands on him and I to be mouth, while speaking a flow of Heavenly Light came into me which manafested that he would get better. He felt the same. Carried him into his tent and waited on him for a while. Then he requested me to see about the wagons again. After retiring to bed, President Brown sent Captain Booth to call me up with a few more, when were informed the Indians were coming in the morning to destroy the Trading Post. We did not know but their intentions were to molest us too. In consequence after mature deliberation we deemed it wisdom to fix our wagons as soon as possible, in the night and put out on our journey as soon as it was daylight and avoid them if possible.

Tuesday 22nd Rolled out on our journey at daybreak; passed the Fields Company, had a steep bank to assend, after which we had to travel over about 4 ½ miles, passed over two small creeks then came to the La Prele River having traveled 21 miles.

Wednesday 23rd Crossed Box Elder Creek and Fourche Boise River. Traveled 12½ miles.

Thursday 24th Sandy road and heavy traveling. Crossed Bear Creek, being now 4864 feet above sea level. Traveled 14½ miles.

Friday 25th Crossed several creeks and came within about a mile of Upper Platt[e] River Ferry and ford. Traveled 18½ miles.

Saturday 26 Crossed the Upper Plat[te] by fording it in the shape of a half moon, when we had forded the River, I baptised for the remission of sins my daughter Maria [Mitchell] in the river before the wagon had left the bank. Very ruff road and uneven. Camped near the river. Saw a mineral spring some of the water flowed in the river. At our Meeting President Brown confirmed my daughter, I assisting. Traveled 15 miles.

Sunday 27th Nothing important today, traveled 16½ miles, and camped at Will Spring. Very little feed, cattle were tired.

Monday 28th Pleasant view from Prospect Hill of the surrounding country, saw two Indians a little before we camped at Greasewood Creek, traveled 10½ miles. Appointed a Captain by President Brown.

Tuesday 29th The same Indians came and got breakfast with President Brown. Set out with President Brown to gather some Saleratus from the Alkalli Lake, bad smell arises from the same. Camped on the banks of the Sweet Water River, a little behind Independence Rock, having forded the river. Traveled 13½ miles.

Wednesday 30th Went on the top of Devils Gate which is worthy of note. The river passed between it and the rock on the other side, being 400 feet high perpendicular, the rock is granite, suitable for mill stones. Traveled 16½ miles. Camped on the River.

Thursday 31st Heavy road crossed several Creeks, good place to camp. Good meeting, traveled 11 miles.

Friday, September 1st, 1854 Set out at 6 traveled 8 miles, put down for dinner, set out again and crossed Sweetwater River 3 times, the road leads through rocky ridges, which have an impassing appearance, the road rather heavy in places, the ridges are solid rocks with several names on them which I knew. Camped on the river bank which is the fourth crossing of the river. Traveled 16½ miles today.

Saturday 2nd Camped near Sweetwater River, at the place where it is forded the 5th time, after traveling about 6 miles, we let our cattle graze one hour, and I got one shoe put on, we had to guard our cattle from the Alkali Springs while eating. Road uneven and some very sandy which made it heavy hauling decended a steep decent from the Bluffs to the level land, where the Sweetwater River flows and where the fording place is. Camps camp passed us, spoke to some of his company after returning from a hunting excursion. Fields Company came up and camped near us at about 10 in the evening. On guard every night.

Sunday 3rd Cold morning but fine, the camp attended to several little things that had to be done; Held meeting at 2 in the afternoon, was called on by President Brown to speak, did so and enjoyed the Spirit, good meeting. At this point we are 40 miles from the South Pass, that is the dividing ridge between the Atlantic and the Pacific. On guard from 11 to one, crossed and recrossed the river four times.

Monday 4th Crossed Sweetwater River again. Then ascended a hill which is gradual in its ascent and about a mile and a half to the summit, road joins the river and ford it again, had to ford back, here we had a small creek to ford at which point the Latitude is 42° - 28’ 36”. Camped on the river bank at the foot of the bluffs. Good place to camp both for water and grass and fuel. Fixed up my wagon tongue, helped to shoe several oxen, held meeting in the evening. Traveled 10 miles.

Tuesday 5th Beautiful morning but cold. Put out on our journey again, had considerable bluff to ascent, after ascending it saw that the road was one continuation of hills and hollows and rounding of bluffs for about 3 miles, also several rocky places, set down to get a bit of something to eat for ourselves and the cattle. One of Brother Brown’s wagon tongues was broke had it to mend, put two pieces of oak, one on the top and the other on the bottom and put four pins through counter-sinking the head and point and wedging the point in the same way, which made it quite a good firm tongue again. Overtook the train again before they camped. Crossed several creeks, vis. Strawberry, Quaking, Branch of Sweetwater, and Willow Creek, rather heavy hauling to get up from them on the sides, here we camped. On guard. Traveled 15½ miles.

Wednesday 6th Some few of our cattle with President Brown’s horses strayed a little beyond bounds, which hindered us some anyhow, the cattle are very much done up, being very foot sore, traveled from Willow Creek to Sweetwater, 3 rods wide, 3 feet deep, being 4 miles and camped at 10 in the morning. Job Smith’s Company came up behind and camped a little above us.

Thursday 7th Went out to shoot but could not get a chance, returned to camp and helped to shoe several oxen, put two on for the first time myself. Saw Captain Buckland’s company coming up, went by order of President Brown to inform them where they could turn their cattle out to graze, shook hands heartily with most of them, they were glad to see me. Inquired after their welfare, drove a wagon over the river for a Sister, her husband being out shooting. Brother Fielding sent us a little meat. Fine day but at night it turned very cold, thundered, lightning and rained in the night.

Friday 8th Rather cloudy with signs of rain. A few cattle shod this morning. After a while we moved out on our route, crossed Sweetwater, passed Captain Buckland’s Company passed a log cabin and in the bottom crossed a sort of creek or slough, then to a circle around and ascended up the hill for 3 or 4 hundred yards, which brought us to a good road. Saw two large hills or mounds on our left. Met a wagon, 3 men and a number of cattle from the Valley going to assist Williams last train. Rained some and very cold. Passed the twin mounds then turned to the North a quarter and found a beautiful camping place, where there is a Mud House, forded the river, fixed our wagons near the river and at the edge of the willows. Cut our 5 shoes and punched 12 for President Brown. My son and Williams and two of Gray’s sons appointed to guard the cattle all night, a mile and a half from camp, all gave out except my son, then I was called to go with my son, but I objected to it because it was not my son reasonable for two to go out of one family (Pres. Brown said that was right)[.] Gray would not let his boys go, coward that he is. President Brown and my son went and staid all night. Brother Brown was very angry and well he might.

Saturday 9th Fine morning, assisted in shoeing cattle all day, punched a few shoes for Pres. Brown after my days labor was called to stand guard all night, which I though[t] was not right, because it was not my turn. A number of laxy [lazy] fellows in camp that will not do a thing if they can avoid it, however, I went and stood guard.

Sunday, 10th day of September 1854 After breakfast lay down and slept till dinner. Called on to attend meeting by Brother Brown, a good many spoke a little. Very cold some snow fell on the mountains north of us on which there is perpetual snow. Dr. Richardson’s company came up and camped about a mile from us. Good meeting at night several bore testimony to the work, the Spirit was with us.

Monday 11th Made ready to put out on our journey and started at 9 o’clock, passed the South Pass whose altitude is 7085 feet above the level of the sea. Road good, forded Pacific Creek which was not very good to cross on account of the sudden drop from the road into the creek. Stopped a few minutes to eat a little dinner and water the cattle. Moved on and saw two or three men from S. L. C. who had stated there were from 15 to 20 wagons on the road with provisions. Took the left hand road and turned about a quarter from the road to get a little grass for the cattle, cold day with a little thunder and rain on the mountains but it did not come near us. Traveled 14 miles. A little after we had camped Elder H. E. Eldridge [Eldredge] came up to us with 3 wagons from the Valley with flour for the Danish Company, rejoiced at meeting him, Good news from the Valley.

Tuesday the 12th Traveled 14 miles, met several mule teams with wagons from the Valley, camped near a large mound or hill, considerable Alkali in the water. Thunder storm with a copious shower of rain and cold. An agreeable chat with President Brown.

Wednesday 13th Found that the greatest part of our cattle had straid way or had been let go through the neglect of the guard. They went back 13 miles to Dr. Richardson’s camp. Traveled about 27 miles in search of them, got back to our camp about one, got a little dinner with Pres. Brown. Received 21 lbs. of flour from Brother [Joseph] Gray. Put out on our journey at 5 or little after in the evening, just after the storm had abated, quite pleasant traveling. (Dr. Richardson’s company came up as we were leaving) traveled within a mile and a half of Big Sandy, that is 10½ miles in the night. As soon as we had corraled and put our cattle in; several men came up who were camped about a mile and a half from us, stating they were from Salt Lake City with flour for the trains; rejoiced to see men from there especially with flour.

Thursday 14th Traveled one and a half miles this morning, took our cattle out to graze, breakfasted, then got 200 lbs. flour at $10.00 per hundred. They are jobial [jovial] fellows. President Brown let me use one of his cattle with my one which made my team complete. Two wagons here that were left by Capt. Buckland not being able to proceed for lack of team. Went on our way with light hearts. Forded Big Sandy about noon, eat a little, then proceeded on our route. Saw 8 wagons and teams from Salt Lake City with flour and oxen for the trains journeying over the plains, met several of the men on horse back with pleasant countenances and as cheerful as larks, corraled near the Big Sandy, three gentiles wagons on the other side of the Creek. President Brown got two yoke of cattle from the company. At our meeting Brother Adams was appointed Sargent of guard and Marshal of the Company in the place of Brother Mackswell [Maxwell] who gave up his office because of President Brown had told his faults. Also Brother Brown got a yoke of cattle which Sessions had sent for Brother Mackswell[.] he was not to have them except he needed them. Anyhow the Captain of the Company was to have the disposal; it was resorted and carried in court that President Brown do as he sees best with them. On guard.

Friday 15th Brother Brown lent me another steer, rolled out again, very pleasant and warm till we got to Green River, a sudden turn in the road and a steep ascent, about a quarter from the crossing, waited a little while the storm abated then we forded the river, up to the wagon bed in some parts, however we forded the river well considering all things. Camped as soon as we got over good place to camp for water, wood and grass. President Brown gave me a little tea. Conversed with him on things per taining to the part of Utah where he resides and in reference to other matters belonging to the camp. A very good meeting, very good testimonies, gifts of tongues and interpretations with prophesy in our midst. Now in Green County Utah Territory, rejoiced that we are thus far on our journey to Zion in the Mountains. On guard.

Saturday 16th Very fine morning, the sun shining in his splendor, moved about three and a half miles down Green River and camped. Not very well in the after part of the day. My wife sick. I and President Brown laid hands on her.

Sunday 17th Set out about seven, got the road before Dr. Richardson, that camp very sick. Met three wagons from the valley with provisions for the trains. Traveled 22 miles, camped on Hams Fork, good meeting, called on to speak, rejoiced in speaking. President Brown gave some good council to the Sisters. Some eight or ten brethern from the Valley on guard.

Monday 18th After the necessary preparations set out again, ascended from Hams Creek on to some higher land by a steep ascent, gradually ascending until we came to ford Blacks Fork, then up again. Good water and up to the wagon bed generally, had to take out my lead steer, put Brother Willy’s cow along with President Brown’s steer, crossed Blacks Fork three times, camped on the banks of the fork after traveling about 20 miles, saw a train before us, fine day. On guard. Very good meeting, several bore testimony to the truth. Sister Adams spoke in tongues, all referred to herself if faithful; she will instruct the Lamanites in the Principles of the truth.

Tuesday 19th day of September 1854 Set out at about 8, fine morning, good road, forded Blacks Fork the fourth time, crossed several places but no water in, passed four creeks near the Fort, only water in one. On the other side we crossed two and camped near the main Creek. Very swift current. As soon as Captain Buckland saw us they put out immediately. The Fort is composed of four log houses forming a square with the entrance on the East side and on the North side a square inclosure for horses. Altitude 6665. Old Bridger resides at the fort, I understand with others. There is a branch of the Church about 12 miles from the Fort, south on Smith’s Fork, under the Presidency of Elder Israel Bullock. Captain Brown would have traded for a fat beef if the wants of the company of about covered the weight, but only about 200 lbs were put down. Excellent meeting, good testimonies to the truth. President Brown made some very good remarks on the same subject. I had been conversing with Sister Wood in the course of the day. Pronounced the Benediction. Traveled 15 miles.

Wednesday 20th Crossed the main creek and left Fort Bridger enroute for Gr. Salt Lake City. A long hill to climb a little winding but gradual in ascent, just as we got on the top there is a small creek after which there is a good road and level over the top of the Summit, when this is passed we had to descent to lower ground a steep tedious route covered with boulder stones from 6 to 7 inches in diameter which made it bad to the cattle’s feet. All got down in safety. After about a mile travel we came to Muddy Creek whose water is clear but swift currant, willows and sage brush in abundance but not much feed. Very good meeting, spoke by request of President Brown. Traveled 13 miles.

Thursday 21st Left Muddy Creek about 8 o’clock, the road uphill for about 5 miles, Soda and Copperas Springs, Summit of ridge above the level of the sea, 7316 feet. After traveling 10 miles we camped on the ridge, our cattle were drived down into the Valley on the North of the road, where there was a sulphur spring and a good quantity of feed. On guard all night.

Friday 22nd Put out again, after traveling about a mile the road turned considerable to the right, then after a while we turned to the left and descended down a very good lengthy hill, part of the way down is a very good spring of cold water, the road is very good in the Canyon between the two hills, the scene is interesting about Sulphur Creek, the rocks run up on the hill on the right of the road with holes through, looking like some old castle walls and at the same time forming the appearance of a road. The rock is of a red appearance. About a mile farther on we had a very steep hill to ascend. Tied a rope to the first yoke and a number of men took hold and hauled and some went behind the wagon and push up. About a quarter of a mile further on we came to Bear River. The current is swift, water good and cold, considerable timber. Altitude of the river at the ford 6836 feet. A little rain. Traveled one and a quarter miles. An excellent meeting. President Brown spoke first and called on Elder Isaac Bullock, then on myself, enjoyed the spirit much.

Saturday 23rd After the necessary arrangements put out again, forded Bear River, traveled a little on level ground, then ascended a little hill, then decended down into a nice bottom, the rocks on the right look like Perimide Conic shaped of very ruff mixture of sand and small stones and the road rather sideling just before crossing Yellow Creek, took a turn to the left and decended a long hill, crossed the summit down into another bottem, crossed Echo Creek. Camped opposite Chace Cave. An ox found by Captain Brown, he said it would do to kill for beef, some of the Brethern butchered him, got a piece of the hind quarter; not very well. Traveled fourteen and three quarter miles.

Sunday 24th Traveled on, the road goes down Echo Canyon, had to ford Echo Creek many times, some places very bad to ford, the scenery very beautiful, the creek runs in a serpentine course, many willows in different places all along the creek bottom. Saw three wagons who had left Horner’s Company because their cattle were sick and some lost, camped in a nice place in the canyon. Plenty of wood, water and grass. Very good meeting, many bore testimonies to the truth. Traveled fourteen and a quarter miles.

Monday 25th Rolled out as usual. Very bad places to cross the creek. Repaired Sister Wollerton’s wagon wheel. After traveling a while I was taken with a relapse, in consequence I had to stepaside. My seat came down which caused a great pain, turned aside a second time, more pain still in my bowels and seat. I could not travel but very slow owing to the pain, my son and a person in the name of Zook came to meet me; had to ride in the wagon the rest of the day. Passed a log house and a small portion of land broke up, then came to Red Fork of Weber River, whose altitude is 5301 feet above the sea. Journeyed along for two miles, then camped, being 42 miles from Great Salt Lake City. Traveled 13 miles.

Tuesday 26th Journeyed on as usual, forded Weber, running over a level piece of land then turning to the left, entered Pratt’s Pass, the road rather uneven and up hill arrived at the Summit which is eight and a quarter from where we camped. Traveled about a mile over the summit then set down for dinner. Yoked up again and on we rolled. Very bad road having to cross so many holes with water in, however no accident. We got safe to camp on the banks of Canyon Creek; whose Lat. is 40º 54’ 7”, being 29 and ¾ miles from Salt Lake City. Met James Well and Robert Dafft, inquired of them about the Saints from Sheffield and their welfare etc. Prayed at the opening of our meeting.

Wednesday 27th day of September 1854 Camped on Canyon Creek, moderate feed, plenty of wood and some willows, set out on our route. Road not very good, it is very serpentine in its course having to cross the creek 13 times. Some very bad places to cross and deep puddle holes. Ascended the Big Mountain a mile then camped, no guard on the cattle. Expected to go on at 8, but President Brown called the men off, not much feed, but plenty of wood.

Thursday 28th Lost a few of our cattle in the night and could not find them till late in the afternoon, ordered to put out and find a place to camp and as many as were ready to go with me. As soon as I had started, they came with the cattle. Met Brother Brown’s son and nephew. Had hard hauling up Big Mountain got up however, very steep coming down. Saw a portion of the Valley. Camped on Brown’s Creek, on watch.

Friday 29th Put out again and passed the Richardson Camp, the little mountain was hard to get up, having to double teams and as steep to get down. The canyon was hard to get along having to ford the creek so frequently, was very unwell in body which caused me to stay behind my wagon for a while. Did not get into Salt Lake till late in the evening, being week in body and the camp on the north west side of the City near Jordan Bridge. A good Sister gave me and son a very strong invitation to go back to her house if we could not find the camp, says she, “you shall not want for anything to eat or drink, because we have plenty”. First rate place the Valley.