Transcript for Hosea Stout reminiscences and journals, 1845-1869, Volume 2, 376-79, and, Volume 3, 1-41

Wed May 31st 1848. Cold morning. Several of us went this morning to meet E. Gardner & others of the police who were coming. We met them about three miles from the Horn. Over 100 waggons crossed this morning day.

Thurs June 1st, 1848. This morning there was a hog & dog found dead which I suppose were put to death for some midnight sin.

Lorenzo Snow with the Pisgah 60 Started on to day.

Prest. Kimball came to the Horn.

Prest. Young organized his company this evening. into two hundred the first was Allen Taylor Capt. First & Daniel Carns [Garn] & John Harvey. Capt. 50. The Second William G. Perkins Capt. & Eliazer [Eleazor] Miller & John D. Lee Capt. 50.

I was organized in Carns fifty

Sister Taylor wife of J. Taylor from Batavia N.Y. this spring died to day of measles & was buried by Jacob Weatherbee's grave where some 4 or 5 were buried while we were here.

Friday June 2nd 1848 Prest. Kimball crossed to day. At 4 o'clock all the waggons on the other side of the river were crossed. Capt. Lee has hard work to raise his 50. The people do not like to go with him. Zara [Zera] Pulcifer [Pulsipher] starts to day with his company.

I was in the 4th Company of [Daniel] Carns [Garn] 50 which were mostly police. We appointed A[lmon]. S. Fulmer for our Captain of ten.

To day Elders Hyde & Woodruff accompanied by several more & some of the merchants from Winter Quarters made us a visit.

W. Woodruff took supper with me when I spent an agreeable hour[.] I stood guard till half past twelve.

Sat June 3rd 1848. our 50 started this morning about 7 o'clock but did not go more than two miles before we put up for a hard rain. We camped here.

Sund June 4th 1848. To day we lay up because of wet weather.

Monday June 5th 1848. Started early. The line of waggons was very long. Our ten in front where we traveled all the way.

To day Sister Groves who was very weak having been sick fell out of her wagon which ran over her breast & leg which it broke & came near killing her

We put up for the night at the Liberty poll on the Platte at half past 3 o'clock.

Tues. June 6th 1846 [1848]. Fine day. Started in good time. Went 13¼ miles and stoped where the road joins the river

A meeting was called at dark to arrange the order of traveling[.] I was appointed Capt of the guard. We were to start at 7 a.m. and turn our cattle out to feed at half past three.

Wed. June 7th 1848. Hard S. wind all night. in the morning dark heavy clouds to the North like for rain, we went 12 miles to Shell Creek by noon & stoped for the night. I stood guard the first tour. Rainy night.

Thurs. June 8th 1848. Cloudy disagreeable drizzling day until noon lay up. Made out the guard roll to day.

Friday, June 9th 1848. Travelled 12¾ miles to and stoped at Long Lake. Here was an abundance of Sweet flag or calemus a large quantity of which was gathered. To day Oliver Duncan one of Prest Youngs Boys fell off the wagon toungue & the wagon ran over his leg & Broke it. This evening I detailed the Guard which was an uncommon long job where the corral encloses about ten or fifteen acres. It is all I can do after we stop until dark.

Sat. June 10th 1848. Moved 18 miles. Stoped one or two miles this side of Lookin[g] Glass [Creek]

Sund. June 11th 1848. Lay up. Had a little meeting.

Mond. June 12th Moved on. Crossed Beaver river at noon and encamped at the old Pawnee Station on Plumb [Plum] cree[k] 14 miles. We heard from the advance Company to day. Two companies of which had crossed the Loup Fork.

Tues. June 13th 1848. Passed the new station part of which is burnt down since last fall; all else looked about as it did last fall.

We crossed Cedar Creek at noon & went to the Upper Pawnee vill[a]ge having travelled 16½ miles to day. It was late before all the teams came in to night.

I was very sick with the head ache and was unable to detail the guard but left it to the two captains of Fifties.

Wed. June 14th 1848. Started earley[.] I went to the Loup Ford [Fork] at noon and carraled [corralled] for the night. The advance Companies are nearly all over. one of Dan[ie]l. Miller's waggons Bogged in the quick sand.

Thurs. June 15th 1848. Earley this morning a large number of teams were sent over from the other side of the river to assist us over.

We were over by noon and encamped about one mile below the Ford.

I got very wet. In the evening it rained very hard in which I had to detail the guard.

To day we heard from Kimballs Co who were at cedar Creek.

After we left the Horn the Omaha made an attact on their cattle & horses. In trying to rescue them Br. Ricky & Egan were badly wounded. They in return wounded & perhaps killed some of them.

Fri. June 16th 1848. Wet morning. Carns Company had carrelled wrong end to and this morning we changed ends. John Kays child [Maria] died to day. Heber's Company came to the Ford to day about two or three o'clock.

Rainy afternoon and night. very unpleasant weather.

Sat. June 17th 1848. This morning another large company of teams went over to assist Hebers company over. I returned about one or two to camp. Wet in the evening.

Sund. June 18th 1848. Dark heavey clouds. Raining some. Had a meeting to day at Heber's camp. Jehu [John] Cox's child was killed by a waggon running over it. between Cedar Creek & the Loup Fork Ford.

Lorenzo Snow & Zera Pulcifers [Pulsipher's] Cos. went on to day about 5 miles and encamped in the sand nobs but they had watter because of the heavy rains.

Saml. Meechan [Meacham] came to board with me to day.

Monday June 19th 1848. We moved on to day[.] The ground soft & unpleasant travelling. The day was very hot. one ox of John Alger melted and died.

After a hard days tug over the Sand nobs & soft ground between we arrived at prairie creek one hour after night but many teams did not get through and had to lay out in the prairie all night.

Tues June 20th 1848. Teams were coming into camp all night. We went on to wood river where we arrived late.

Wed. June 21st 1848 We had rather scant allowance of grass for our animals this morning

We moved on to the place where the road runs to the river 14 miles.

Thurs. June 22nd 1848. Drizzling day. Went on about 18 miles and carrelled on the high dry prairie some three miles from the River. Had to use the Bois de vache or Buffalo chips for fuel which were damp which made rather an unfavorable impression on our women relative to being entirely confined to them before we get to our journey's end.

Frid. June 23rd 1848. Cool morning. Hard times for Breakfast because of our fuel.

We traveled to Elm creek 18 miles

This is about the head of Grand Island and a few miles beyond the place I met the pioneers last fall[.] Increased the guard.

Sat. June 24th 1848. Cool morning. Moved about 10 miles, encamped in the prairie by a slough of clear watter[.] using Buffalo chips for fuel again with better success as they are dryer.

To night W. T. Norten [Norton] was tried for being found asleep on guard last night.

Sund. June 25th 1848. Moved to the main Platte to day 6 miles which is about 244 miles from Winter Quarters.

Here we over took the advance companies. We encamped away from the river & had to dig about two and half feet for water. There was a meeting to day.

Mr. Devlin a man who was spoken of while we lay up at Chariton ford was now lurking around and was now gone back to grand Island where the U.S. Soldiers were at work.

Mond. June 26th 1848. Lay up. Like for rain. Hebers company came up and stopped a mile or so above us[.] Some stray mules were discovered and taken by it. Williams & others to day on the other side of the river.

Tues. June 27th 1848. Lay up. Hebers Co came to day and stoped one mile or so above us. Some stray mules were discovered and taken by Alex[ande]r Williams & others on the other side of the river to day.

Meeting at dark to appoint men to hunt and kill Buffalo for the camp in Stead of men leaving their teams to run after them. Seth Dodge was tried to night for being found asleep on guard.

Wed. June 11th 1848. Moved on to day & carrolled on Plat[te] Lake. about 14 miles. All the Companies are in sight to night.

Thurs. June 29th 1848. Moved on to day about 14 or 16 miles[.] camped on the river Banks higher than common.

Large herds of Buffalo were seen all day on the other side of the river & a few were killed but not brought into camp. We now have occasionally Sandy ridges to cross which is very hard on teams otherwise the road is as usual.

Frid. June 30th 1848. Moved on about 16 miles and encamped at the cold Springs (the most beautiful springs here.) Our road was over sandy bluffs which came up to the river. We are now fairly into the Buffalo range[,] swarms & herds of which are in sight all the time

The range looks like an old pasture field the grass all fed off close.

The hunting fever siezed on the brethren and they, regardless of the previous arraingements, to let hunters kill our meat often ran and left their teams pursuing shooting at the buffalo all day. Many were killed & left out, &but few brought into camp.

To night about dark a skunk made us a visit Locating himself under my waggons. We endeavored to drive it away without exciting it but knowing the Power it held over us seemed perfectly tame while we had only to deal mildly with it. At length it went under Judge Phelps waggon & laid down in his harness where we were obliged to let it be in peace.

Saturday July 1st 1848. Went on. Had a Buffalo fight in the river. Saw 1000's of buffalo to day which moved as black clouds in the prairie. It is a sight not to be described & only to be realized by the sight

The people ran reckless and regardless to every principal of good order after them. Shooting them down and leaving them on the ground.

The president reproved the people for the course they had taken in running after the buffalo and said he would have nothing more to do with it but every man might do as he pleased as they would not abide their own arrangements in hunting

It was long after dark before I could get the guard made out because the men were out after the buffalo.

How like a permanent location is the carral, formed every time alike. What a monotonous solitary feeling to go around every night in search of the guard.

Sunday July 2nd 1848. Lay up 302 miles from W[inter]. quarters. on the Platte. Many hunters out & some did not come in to night.

Monday July 3rd 1848. Went on about 18 miles and stoped after crossing the North Bluff Fork[.] Grass wide & shallow

Tues. July 4th 1848. Moved on again[.] stoped on the Platte bottom.

To day is our Nation's annaversary or birth day of her liberty while we are fleeing exiles from her tyranny & oppression.

very sich [sick] to night & all day.

Wed. July 5th 1848. Hard on teams to day passing over Sandy bluffs. H[yrum]. Gates up Set one of his waggons on one but did not [hurt] any body. The grass is still pastured very close by the buffalo looking like old pastured fields.

We encamped on Goose Creek 344 miles on our journey.

Thurs. July 6th 1848. Nooned at the Cedar bluffs & went on 4 or 5 miles & encamped

T[imothy]. B. Foot & J[ames]. Ivie was court martialed to night for being asleep or not on duty.

Friday. July 7th 1848. Nooned near camp creek[.] Passed Wolf creek & then high t sandy ridges and encamped at the West Side.

Sat. July 8th 1848. Went on and nooned at the Lone tree a well know[n] land mark[.] In the after noon went to ash hollow and carraled for Sunday. Opposite to us was a company of traders and Mormon Apostates who were returning to the States with their families

Sund. July 9th 1848. Lay up being about 380 miles on our journey

I was so sick with the head ache to day that I kept my bed and could not detail the guard.

Monday July 10th 1848. I was some better but weak. Passed Sand Hill creek & stoped in the Prairie

Tues. July 11th 1848. Moved on & stoped near Crab Creek[.] It was ten o'clock before all came into camp. A few brethren met us to day from the Valley

Wed. July 12th 1848. Moved on[.] passed Cobble hill from the top of which Chimney Rock is to be seen to the West

To night we put up opposite to ancient bluff ruins where we met some waggons which had come to meet us from the Valley

Here was a large company of Sioux very friendly and altogether the best looking and neatest Indians I ever saw Proud Spirited & seemed to disdain to beg & the men would Seldom condes[c]end to trade in small articles like moccasins but would have their squaws do it. Had a meeting to night and agreed to lay up to morrow.

Thurs. July 13th 1848. Lay up. Much trading with the Indians by the people. Hebers Company came up. To night we had about the hardest rain I ever saw.

It is peculiar to this country that there is now dews as in the States

Frid. July 14th 1848. To day we moved on & some also who had come from the Valley & some from our company went back to the Bluffs with some teams. Among those who went back was S. Meecham who had boarded with me.

Saturday July 15th 1848. Moved on and stopped opposite to Chimney Rock. Had to dig some 6 or 7 feet for water being about two miles from the river. We are now entirely out of the buffalo range.

Sund. July 16th 1848. Lay up and had a meeting at which the companies were divided[,] Brighams into 4. Bishop Carns [Garn's] taking on in which I of course fell [felt] as I belonged to it before.

Monday July 17th 1848. All moved on. Hebers company crossed over the Platte this morning.

We encamped nearly opposite to Scot[t]s Bluffs [Bluff] making rather a diminutive appearance now as Carn's Company only consisted of two tens[,] [Almon] Ful[l]mer's and [Anson] Call's. It was here decided that I should continue Capt of the guard[.] We had a hard rain in the evening.

Tues. July 18th 1848. We traveled on and put up in a very large wet bottom of good grass[.] We turned of[f] to the river some 2 miles & stoped on the river banks[.] This bottom was wet and strongly impregnated with alkali.

Wed. July 19th 1848. Went on and nooned at a creek 200 yards South of the road on good grass and then travelled some 5 or 6 miles & turned South and put up where there was plenty of grass & timber While the Bishop went on further & stoped in the prairie[.] This is the first timber on the N. Side of the platte for the last 200 miles.

Thurs. July 20th 1848. To day we went to Raw Hide Creek having the heaviest sandy road we had since we Started and no grass of any importance. To night we had no guard out for the first time[.] after this we do not guard any more.

Friday July 21st 1848. This morning we received word from The President that he was crossing the river about two miles below us & desired us also to cross there as it was the best place.

Accordingly we took the back track through the deep loose sand and crossed over & taking the Oregon road two or three miles[.] all encamped together in a small bottom without much grass.

Larimie [Laramie] Peak has been in sight for the last three days

The Platte above here looses its wide Shallow watters and is a narrow deep Swift running Stream of good water.

Sat. July 22nd 1848. Went on a few miles and baited our cattle & proceeded on over a hilly & barren, land crossing Larimie [Laramie] Fork a deep swift handsome stream, & in a short distance we came to old Fort Larimie which is now in ruins[.] the new Fort is two miles above on the Larimie Fork.

After looking around the old Fort a while to satisfy our curiosity we went on over barren & desolate looking bottoms some five miles and encamped on the river turning our cattle over on the other side for grass which was tolerable good. Sister [Sarah] Ful[l]mer was delivered of a child to night.

Sund. July 23rd 1848. Went on 4 or 5 miles to give room for the President & again turned our cattle across for grass.

Here was very high Buttes of marley lime stone. Several of us went to the top and enjoyed ourselves by rolling huge stone & dead Sedar [cedar] trees down their perpendicular side of some 2 or 300 feet.

Monday July 24th 1848. Moved 17½ miles to day to Dead Timber creek where we found plenty of grass & water. We went over some very high Ridges of the Black Hills and passed one warm spring.

Tues. July 25th 1848. We only moved about half a mile to day to a small ravine which came out of the hills in which there was plenty of grass & watter where we recruited our cattle

Cap Call went on and did not any more travel with us.

Had an evening rain.

Wed. July 26th 1848. Moved on to Horse Creek 14 miles & 565 miles on our journey.

To day we had high & steep ridges to cross. Here we met several of the brethren from the Valley on their way home[.] they were mostly those of the Battalion

All the companies were here togeather now and all turned out their cattle in the timber to run at large.

Thurs. July 27th 1848. Very rainy, foggy & cattle all out at random. All the camps lay up because of the hard rains and soft roads.

Friday July 28th 1848. Hard rain & hail in the night. We all made a general drive and brought in all the cattle at once and went on assending a hill ¾ of mile up where we had a fine view of the surrounding country & now about opposite to Larimie [Laramie] Peak which is to the left towering above the clouds.

We travelled 4¾ miles and stoped on a small creek where there is but little watter but good grass. Heber came in sight while we were on the hill. & Brigham passed one mile beyond us to night.

This evening we saw and had a hard chace [chase] after a buffalo for several miles but could not get near to it before dark

The country to the left is very mountainous.

Sat. July 29th 1848. Cattle look well this morning[.] Went on over high hills 13 miles to the La Bonte which is a disagreeable looking stream of redish water and no grass. We had a very bad day being cold windy and cloudy.

Sunday July 30th 1848. Hard Frost last night and poor feed[.] Went on to day over the most barren & hilly road we have yet met with on our journey. Travelled 18½ miles to the A La Prele river where we found some grass but by no means plenty for the immense number of cattle which is now on it.

Monday July 31st 1848. Lay up. Some cattle strayed for the Platte, but were recovered.

Went with D. Carns [Garn] hunting up the river. Passed an arch of stone which stre[t]ched entirely across the river and over hung by very high hills of red Sand Stone.

The arch was more than 20 ft. high. Passing up the stream we found that it broke through the high mountain in a rough & rugged current. There were fresh sign of Bear. We assended a very high Peak from the top of which we discovered a very large grizzly bear on the edge of the watter & fired 4 rounds at him but only wounded him. He made his escape by climbing the opposite hill[.] From here we assended the next peak which was the highest in this vicinity from which we would see to a great distance up this stream and found it wound its way along an appearently level plain until it came to this mountain through which it seemed to force its way. Decending from this lofty Peak we came home when I found my wife sick and unable to set up for a moment with a very severe attact of the mountain fever.

Tues. Aug 1st 1848. Went on 8½ miles to the Fourche Boise River and encamped. road some better to day. Here we found plenty of grass about one mile up the river.

To night I had to be cook. My wife was worse with the fever.

Wed. Aug 2nd 1848. I got breakfast this morning.

Cattle look well. Wife yet very sick[.] Went on. Passed Deer Creek, a beautiful place, and stoped 4 or 5 miles beyond turning our cattle over the Platte for grass.

An uncommon hard wind Storm arose in the evening and lasted an hour or so.

Thurs. Aug 3rd 1848. We had went about 2 miles when one of my oxen took the blind staggers and died in a short time. Detaining about an hour with him we went on to Crooked Mud[d]y Creek and putting one of Carns [Garn's] oxen in my team went on several miles and put up again sending our cattle over the river.

Frid. Aug. 4th 1848. Went on to the Upper Ford of the North Fork and encamped.

Here were several from the Valley who had come to meet us & had been also ferrying the Oregon Emegrants over the Platte. There was good grass here when we first came, but the immense herds of all the camps soon consumed it all; and left our cattle in a suffering condition.

Saturday Aug. 5th 1848. Lay up as there had to be much reparing & also dispose of the waggons & teams which were from the Valley

Prest. Young proposed to assist me to another ox as my team was now broken.

This evening it was arranged with me & Bp Carns for him to take his flour & Sam[ue]l [Meacham]. go with him which would lighten my load near 500 lbs in all and him go on as all were who were ready leaving more room & grass for our cattle who had yet to tarry.

Sunday Aug. 6th 1848. This morning Carns [Garn] and what few of his company were left with him went on & I & Josiah Arnold concluded to travil to gether and as my loading was considerably lightened for me to go with one yoke to each waggon & as his team was wore out for him to work my odd animal so as to release his partly and his boy Orson to drive one of my waggons & for us to travel no faster than our teams were able to go and try & make to the Sweet Water by the time President Young should get there. After which we went to let the Prest. know that we would not now expect any assistance from him as he was scarce of teams.

We then went on two miles & turned off to the river South & put up with Carn on a high bluff and turned our cattle over the river on good grass.

Monday Aug. 7th 1848 Went on to day[.] our cattle done well last night. We went to Mineral Spring 10½ miles. I was very Sick[.] head ache to day.

Tues Aug. 8th 1848. Our cattle fared badly last night[.] We had turned them out there being plenty of grass dow[n] the stream and upon going down we found the whole land covered with a strong incrustation of saleratus & the water almost entirely alkali[.] My two best oxen appeared and one cow appeared as if they would not live an hour and every appearance indicated that I would be left without a team. This was the case with many more[.] After giving the cattle some thing to work off the poison we went on passing by a strong spring & lake of alkali. one of arnold oxen was in the same fix.

We went about 14 miles to day and my animals recovered.

Wed Aug. 9th 1848. Our cattle fared badly last night for we only turned them out on a small patch of grass close around us[,] their only chance[,] and at dark tied them up to keep them from running away which they attempted to do. We went on two miles to the Willow Springs where there was tolerable good grass & turned out to bait them awhile and went on assending a very high hill from the top of which we had a fine view of the Sweet Water [Sweetwater] Mountains.

We had a rain this after noon which detained us awhile after which we went on makin about 13 miles to day and had good grass for our cattle to night which was the first good feed since we left the Platte on Monday morning.

In this vecinity the Sage grows about 8 or ten feet some Six inches in diameter, the largest I saw on the road.

Thurs. Aug. 10th 1848. Went on and encamped close by the West Side of Rock Independance [Independence Rock]. making 14 miles to day & passing over very sandy and barren land also passed over the immence fields or Lakes of saleratus where we laid in our Stock of this article. Large lakes of which lay like fields of snow crusted sometimes six inches deep over the ground.

we were now on the banks of the Sweet water where there was alredy many camps & plenty of grass.

This evening President Young came up. Better prospects were now before us. The Sweet Water Valley abounds in the best of grass[.] It is almost marvelous how Br. Arnold ever reached this place with our loads as we did over the worst road on the whole Journey and such poor feed, but our cattle seemed to be in tolerable order and our hopes now brightened.

Friday Aug. 11th 1848. Lay up and explored Rock Independance from the Sumit of which we had a commanding view of a large scope of country & a beautiful view of the extensive saleratus lakes like the new fallen snow.

We then went to a lake and geathered another lot of the best kind of saleratus.

Saturday Aug 12the 1848. Our cattle having recruited we went on ten or 12 miles passing near by the Devils Gate a most singular curiosity where the river seems to break through perpendicular rocks 400 feet high. Curiosities are here too numerous for me to attempt to describe them. the Sweet Water Valley is now most beautiful looking meadow and an excellent grazing place and camps are now to be see all along as we travel.

Sunday Aug. 13th 1848. Here I met with another very sad misfortune again. On going out to look for my cattle I found one of my oxen dead. He had manifisted signs of not being well last evening when I turned him out. Every prospect now seemed to bid fair for me to make but slow head way now

Meeting to day. Prest. Young wishes to go on so as to send back for those who can not help them selves. To day the North wind blew uncommonly cold.

Monday Aug. 14th 1848. This morning I obtained an odd ox from A.L. Ful[l]mer as one of his had also died here & he obtained another yoke & thus. I got unexpected help so as to travel just as I did, in slow time with Br Arnold[.] So we went on 13 miles over a very heavy sandy road[.] Most of the way I stoped after dark on the Sweet Water [Sweetwater].

Several cattle give out to day & were left dead by the road side.

Thurs. [Tues.] Aug. 15th 1848. Slowly traveled on again 11¾ over deep sand part of the way having some times to rest the oxen eve[r]y few rods and again put up on the river having good grass.

Wed. Aug. 16th 1848. Went on crossing the Sweet Water three times making 9¾ miles & put up on the river again[.] grass rather poor[.] I traveled in Brighams ranks to day.

Thursday Augt. 17th 1848. To day we went 16½ miles[.] I went mostly before and again stoped on the River having plenty of good grass. The express met us to day from the Valley giving us the joyfull information that a large number of teams and waggons were on the way to meet us.

Friday Aug. 18th 1848. Went on two miles, good grass[.] Roads about as usual.

Saturday Aug. 19th 1848. Went on over very high rough rocky ridges which was hard on men & teams[.] Went 13¼ miles & encamped in a deep creek, a branch of the Sweet water

To day I was taken with the Mountain Fever & suffered extreemly all night.

Sunday Aug. 20th 1848. Our cattle fared poorley. I was unable to get up & very sick.

Went on 7 miles to the Sweet Water & put up. My wife driving the team & me not able to raise up in my bed

Here the President concluded to send back the teams as there was an abundance of grass to enable us to lay up awhile

Monday 21st 1848. I was yet very sick & suffering exrtremley.

Preperations were making to fit out those who were to go back & also reparing the waggons, unloading &c. Which gave very much of abuseness like appearance to the camp.

Tuesday Aug. 22nd 1848. This morning I was able to get out of my bed but very weak.

Some brethren came to day from Bridger & Smith's with mockeson [moccasins] &c to trade to day.

To the North is mountain Peaks <(the wind river)> to be seen covered with snow.

They are I believe the Wind Mountains

Wednesday Aug. 23rd 1848. Could walk around again.

Frost & ice now every clear night.

Thurs. Aug. 24th 1848. Around. But weak

Friday Aug. 25th 1848. Heard from Kimball's company to day. They were travelling very slowly. having to stop & send back for some waggons. He had lost many of his oxen.

Our cattle also has died at the rate of ten in one day since we came to this place

It is intended to send back & help up Hebers company.

Saturday Aug. 26th 1848. Several teams and waggons were sent for Heber to day.

A large drove of cattle took the back track & were pursued and over taken and put in the yoke at Hebers camp and worked back. some of my oxen were among the rest.

Wrote a letter to send back to A.P Stout

Sunday Aug. 27th 1848. Moved to a convenient place, out of the Carral [corral], to unload one of my waggons preparitory to sending it back[.] President Young went back to meet Heber to day.

Monday Aug. 28th 1848. Herded cattle in the forenood [forenoon.]

More teams were sent back for Heber

Lorenzo Young & Several came in from the Valley & more on the way.

Tuesday Aug. 29th 1848. Cattle which had died became so offensive that they had to be buried to day

Wednesday Aug. 30th 1848. Hunted my oxen in the fore-noon[.] In the after noon 45 waggons and teams arrived from the Valley.

Thursday Aug. 31st 1848. President Young was Taken Sick to day with something I suppose to be the Mountain Fever.

Loading and distributing teams had now commenced.

The Presidency of the First Division or of Brighams Company to wit Isaac Morley, R. Cahoon & Wm. Major were set to allotting to each who needed the teams which were to assist them.

Friday September 1st 1848. I Went out to herd before breakfast and came in about ten during which time it had been raining smartly.

To day a waggon and two yoke of oxen had been Set apart for me and Br. E[lisha]. H. Groves as we both had about enough to load it well. The team belonged to Bishop A. Hoagland & was driven by his son Peter.

We Soon loaded up and started again on our journey. From here to the Summit of the South pass the land is Smartly rising (9¾ miles) so that it is difficult to know when you have gained the summit.

Just about the time we had fairley assended to the Summitt we were met by a violent wind & snow storm soon turning into a still rain as it grew dark.

We just had time to see the first ravine which conveyed the waters to the west before dark set in So that we had to decend to the Pacific Springs after dark traveling in a mild rain[.] We turned our cattle out in the dark not knowing where the range was.

We had a disagreeable time of it for the wind arose from the North and blew cold all night.

Saturday Spt. 2nd 1848. Very cold rainy morning & our cattle scattered and Some not to be found.

This was the situation with all those who were here & men were to be seen running to & fro in search of their teams.

We geathered up our teams at last and went on two miles to good grass and put up again during which time it was raining & blowing very cold.

Sunday Sept. 3rd 1848. Went on 9 miles to day to Dry Sandy[.] The water which is Brackish was now rendered by the late rains very good & our cattle done very well.

We met a few more teams from the Valley to day.

Snow Mountains rose very high to the North as we went on.

Monday Sept. 4th 1848. Went on 13¾ miles to the Lit[t]le Sandy[.] Had plenty of grass & done well.

Tuesday Sep. 5th 1848. Went on 8¼ miles to Big Sandy & our cattle done tolerable well again.

Wednesday Sep. 6th 1848. Went on 17 miles to day and again put up on the Big Sandy.

Clear warm and pleasant but the Snow mountains are still in view[.] These are the Wind river mountains and Fremont Peak.

Our cattle did not do very well for grass.

Brighams Company passed us to day.

Thursday Sep. 7th 1848. Went on to Green River and crossed over. It is a swift bold & rocky stream[.] We staid all night here & had plenty of grass.

Friday Sep. 8th 1848. Only went 5 miles down the river & again put up. Hebers company passed this evening

Saturday Sept. 9th 1848. Went on over a hilly & Barren country 15½ miles and encamped on Black's Fork[.] good grass for our animals.

Sunday Sep. 10th 1848. Went on 12 or 13 miles and again put up on Black Fork. Had tolerable grass

Monday Sep. 11th 1848. Went on again put up on Blacks Fork 8¼ miles before we came to Fort Bridger[.] Had a rain in the night.

Tuesday Sep. 12th 1848. Arrived at Fort Bridger about noon[.] Brighams Company was there.

We traveled about 9 miles further and put up where we had plenty of good grass. Rained in the evening & night.

Wednesday Sep. 13th 1848. Moved on passing down a very steep hill in the morning which was rendered dangerous by the late rain.

To day we passed a curious copperas spring & to night encamped on the top of the dividing ridge between the waters of Green River and Bear river 7,700 feet above the level of the Sea. Clear & cold but good grass.

We met Several returning to the States do day

Sep. 14th 1848 Thursday. This morning we arose earley and found that it was snowing rapidly & So we hurried on to decend out of the clouds & made our decent down a very steep hill for near two miles[.] our teams litterally slid down but road was good.

We overtook Brighams Company at Sulpher [Sulphur] Creek & then turned out and Baited our cattle awhile and then went to Bear river where we put up for the night.

Weather now warm & pleasant.

Friday Sep. 15th 1848. Went to Echo Creek 16¾ miles to day. Had good grass.

Saturday Sep. 16th 1848. Travelled down this Creek 14 miles[.] It has many very bad crossings[.] We over took Bishop Carns [Garn] to night who had been detained by the sickness of his wife who was drawing her last breath when we came[,] and died about sun set.

Sunday Sept. 17th 1848. Went to the Weber & crossed over to day. One of Hoaglands oxen was dead this morning which left us very weak for teams. Our road was uncommonly bad to day having to cross the creek many times.

We over took Br Arnold to night & nearley all the camp who had waited here for the President to come.

This evening the President passed on some three miles and encamped in a small branch up which we had to ascend the next mountain.

Monday Spt. 18th 1848. All Started this morning

The Prest. ahead. The road was crouded for miles having to waite for hours at bad crossings[.] We arrived on Kanyon [Canyon] Creek. 10 miles to night & had to turn our cattle on the hill for grass. Many were camped here.

Tuesday Sep. 19th 1848. We travelled up Kanyon Creek 10 miles crossing it 13 times. The road was very hard on cattle.

Leaving the Creek we commenced ascending another high mountain & traveled up a Cannon [Canyon] about two miles & stoped having no grass & had to turn our cattle near a mile & a half down where they ascended to the top of the Mountain and had tolerable grass.

Wednesday September 20th 1848. Five of our oxen was not to be found this morning. With the rest got my & Hoaglands waggons to the top of the mountain. Stormy Rainy night.

Thursday Sep. 21st 1848. Rainy disagreeable morning & I was growing very tired of my "Exalted Station".

After breakfast we went in search of our lost cattle which we found after a long hunt through high wet weeds & watery ground[.] meanwhile our other cattle had got a good feed of grass.

We then brought Br Groves to the top of the mountain which is the highest one we had to ascend on this journey.

Here we had a view of the South part of the Valley & like old Moses could "View the landscape O'er" while many hills and bad roads yet intervened.

Teams had been passing all the time we had been here.

At noon we commenced our decent which was very Steep and down which groves broke his waggon toungue out where pon I took the animals & went on 6 miles to get grass leaving him to go back after in morn.

Friday September 22nd 1848. This morning while we were geathering up our oxen to go back after Br Groves we were agreeably disappointed to see him drive up having fixed in his waggon toungue again & borrowed some oxen of those who were coming on as it was down hill all the way & thus came on so we all traveled on again and crossing another mountain we at last came to Little Kanyon [Canyon] Creek[.] the last one we had to cross which was a bad road having to cross it about 18 times over bad places and at night encamped at the mouth of the Canñon 5 miles from the City and turned our cattle again on the mountains for feed[.] waited with impatience for morning which would terminate our journey.

I was very sick all day with the head ache which made this a tedious day for me.

Saturday September 23rd 1848. Dark heavy clouds overhung the mountains & Valley this morning[.] We Started earley & was over taken by a hard rain & wind which extended over the Valley. Our road was Smartly desending all the way to the City. But we could not enjoy the view of the place because of the dark rain.

We passed through the Forts & encamped on the west side where there were hundreds of waggons already encamped and after driving my cattle out to grass, took a reconnoisance of the place.