Transcript for Huntington, Oliver Boardman, Diary and reminiscences, 1843 June-1900 Jan., 80-81

Arrived at St. Louis on the 18th of May.

Were obliged to lay in St. Louis until the 25th of June

2nd 1852 we arrived at Kanesville where we stopped at the house of M. L. Benson while were fitting out for our journey over the plains.

With my hundred dollars Mr. Benson had purchased one, very fine large yoke of cattle and one cow. Fir [For] Mr. Neal he had on hand three yoke of cattle.

During our stay here Mrs. Neal became very anxious to go no farther and wanted to turn and go back to the good old homestead. Was determined to go back. Mr. Neal very much disliked to go any farther from civilization, but through manliness he a little more disliked the name of turning back.

As for myself I did not care much if they did all turn back[.] I was on my road home and my children were with me thanks to God. After a hard time of fitting up four wagons, which I done mostly with great exertion of soul and body against their delays we managed to get started. On the 4th of July in company with Orson Hyde.

I had one wagon to myself and family which was quite comfortable and seemed a little like living by myself although I had to be with the old folks and take care of all, as much as if I had been changed to father of all, they being unacquainted with traveling in such a way and I having had gone in overland traveling.

I was pleased with having them to take care of and thanked my God they were made somewhat dependant on me.

At Green River I found Dimick who was the foreman of a company sent out there by the President of the Church to build a bridge over Green River and form a settlement. Between there and the City I men [met] William and a small company going out to join them at the River. This company and settlement was broken up by the Indians and mountaineers and forced to return to the city as I shall hereafter notice in an account of the family.

After a long tedious toilsome journey spotted with broils and family fences we arrived in Great Salt Lake City on the 2nd of October 1852.

[Scanned images of diary and text transcription also available on "Trails of Hope: Overland Diaries and Letters, 1846-1869" web site,]