Transcript for Joel W. White autobiographical sketch, 1908, 3-5

In the Spring of 47 started on our journey again and stoped at what was called Keg Creek about ten miles east of Kanesville: went to work with my father farming land putting in crops and building a house[.] remained there about three years[.] during that time I went back to Missouria [Missouri] and worked getting flour and other provisions for the family: By this time our oxen and outfit was getting about worn out[.] we had to get a new out fit to go on with by trading flour and working around. I got a yoak of oxen and got fixed up to start on again[.] Claborn Thomases family was living at Keg Creek and Preston Thomas family at "Coesta holla[.]" there was my first acuaintince with them and also there I first met Frances Thomas (a niece of Claborn Thomas) who after became my wife[.] I was married to Francis Ann Thomas May 8 1850!

And in a few days started on our journey west again not selling any thing leaving all for the Saints that was expected to follow. Going on to the Missouria [Missouri] river where we large companeys of saints were gathered and were organized in Companeys of one hundred wagons with Aaron Johnston [Johnson] Captain of the hundred and traveling in Companeys of fifty wagons with Jishea [Elijah] Everett [Averett] Captain of our fifty. Cap. Johnston traveling in our company

after traveling a short time the Cholary [cholera] broke out in our companey[.] the first dying was Bro. Shipley: Cap. Johnston came to Claburn [Daniel Claiborne] Thomas captain of our ten and said you go on and travel till noon and there wait till the rest comes up[.] we did and when they came up bro Shipley was dead and buried and Cap Johnstons son [William Kelsey] was dead. "He was well when we left and helping to yoak the oxen[.] Cap Johnston lost t[w]o wives[,] a son[,] and to teamsters with Cholary. there were about 10 or 15 died out of our company[.] after that was Checked we had fa[i]rly good health[.] everything working along nicely[.] the road was well marked with graves clothing and bedding left by the emigrants gon[e] ahead of us.

we having arrived in Salt Lake City the 12 of Sep 1850 . . .