Transcript for Levi Savage journal, 1855 March-1858 October

Savage, Levi, Journal, 1855 Mar.-1858 Oct.Camp of the Saints, Thursday 10th July 1856[.] This morning, at about 11 oclock I arive in good health and Spirits. in Ioway [Iowa] City, and Soon after found myself in the camp of about 1500 Saints cituated 2½ miles west of the above mentioned city. Here I met with President D[aniel]. Spencer, Elders D. Tiler; J. Furgerson: & others. The Saints. tho Some exposed to the wether, are generaly well. and in good Spirits. A conciderable number are prepareing to go with hand carts. Tis a perfect curiosity.

Camp of the Saints Iowa City Friday 11 July. 1856. Today agreeable to council, I rep[o]rted myself to Brother Daniel Spencer the agent for forwarding the Saints. He require my assistance and I commenced fore the first time for three years. it goes rather hard

Camp of the Saints Iowa City Sa[t]urday 12 July 1856[.] This fore noon I went in Serch for timber to make wagon bows. I found none. This after noon. by council, of Pres Spencer—Brother [Millen] Atwood, myself, and Several others went to a gentile railing. This evening the Saints were called to gether in the capacity of a Business meeting, and organized into Companies for traveling. I was appointed Capt over the Second hundred in Elder Williees [James G.Willie’s] company.

Camp of the Saints near Iowa City Sunday 13th July 1856[.] The Saints assembled at 10 oclock A.M. & was addressed by Bro Janes [James] Fergison [Ferguson], on the first principles of the gospil. The meeting was interesting: many Strangers were present. At 3 oclock P.M. we assembled again and pertook of the Sacrenent, and then had an able dis course from Elder Tiler. Many Strangers presen[t], a good Spirt prevail[.] only one drunken man made a little disturbenc.

[In margin is written] start of the Hand Cart Co

Camp of the Saints near Iowa City Monday 14th July 1856[.] To day we Spent in peparing to Start. Agreeable to Council we Solde and hired[.] carried all lugage over 17 lbs per pe[r]son[.] this makes us rather destitute for wearing apperil. and Beding.

Camp of the Saints near Iowa City Tuesday 15 July 1856[.] To day, Sister [Eliza] Hurren was delivered of a fine daughter. She is very feeble. It was thought the Childe would die Soon after it was Born, but I administered to it and it Soon revived, A few in Camp Suffering inibility and diareah. We Spent the day in preparing for our Journey

Camp of the Saints Wednesday 16 July 1856[.] About 4 oclock P.M. our oxen being yoked, our hand Carts were Started, drawn by olde and young, Male and female: all in good Spirits, and receiving a harty Chear by our friends that we left behinde. our oxen were rather wilde, and trouble Sum, Concequently we were late to camp; but the Saints generaly manifested a good Spirit.

Camp of the Saints Thursday 17th July 1856. To day we remained in Camp. Evening We held meeting. Borother Willey gave good instructions, also rehersed the Council that Brother Spencer left for the Saints; which was to to not to move off this ground, untill the Spirit of murmeri[n]g, if there was any, Seased among the Saint of this Camp[.] a good Spirit prevailed.

Camp of the Saints Friday 18th July 1856. To day we traveled about 8 miles. Some few of the Saints are Sick, but generally, are enjoying good Health and Spirits. Our teams were very awkward and the teamsters more awkward than the oxen.

Camp of the Saints Ioway [Iowa] Saturday 19th July 1856. To day we traveled about 12 miles[.] The wether was very warm, and the roads very dusty. Some of the Saints both olde and young, were nearly overcome yet they endured much better than could bexpeted [be expected]. Shurely the Blessings of the lord were with us.

Camp of the Saints Ioway Sunday 20th July 1856[.] To day we remained in camp. Many of the inhabitants come to here, visited us. they man Some of them manifested a very envious Spirit. last evening. Just bebfore we camped, a man by the road Side, Said to Bro Willy [Willie], that he would come and tear our tents down, if it Should take fifty men to accomplish it and, the our visiters manifested a Spirit that was willing to carry his threats into execution. They endeavered to get into an arguement, and rais a contention. At half past two oclock we held a meeting; and tolde the people Some of our Faith and belief. also our determination, to carry out, or obey the commandments of God regardless of concequences. and that it was our privilige, according to the Laws of the Land, to worship God as we pleased. and no man had any business to inter fear with us. &c[.] After meeting they were perfectly docile and Soon returned home. The night past quietly.

Camp of the Saints Ioway Monday 21st July 1856[.] At 7 oclock A.M. we Started, and traveled seven miles, then camped for the remainder of the day and night, and done our washing. Our Sick are improved and the Saints that remain, generaly manifestes a good Spirit. Yesterday some turned back, Six in number, Viz Mrs. Baker; <& 2 children> Miss Smith, and two Miss Birds. This evening there cam[e], Severa[l] young fellows to our camp who were determind to distirb us; but when they Saw they were likely to meet with a warm reception. they, after hollowing, and using Some boady language, dispersed

Camp of the Saints Iowa Tuesday 22nd July 1856[.] To day we traveled about 10 miles. The weather was very warm. and the roads dusty. but the Saints endured it well. Bro Willey broke a yoke, which caused some hindrence.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Wednesday 23rd of July 1856. This morning the Saints arose in good Spirits, and persued their Journy. The weak are getting Strong. the lame, and aged, get along exceedingly well. About 12 oclock A.M. Sister Mary Williams, aged 50 years was taken up from the Side of the way insensible; at first She was suposed to be over come with the heat. after this, it was accertained, that She had been eating a quantity of green plums, and crab-aples. She died about 5 oclock P.M. At dark, having laid by, inconcequence of the excessive heat. Sevral hours in the midle of the day. We piched our tents, and all arived Safe in Camp. Something fatiegued by the Journey, and the heat, tho in good Spirits.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Thursday 24 July 1856[.] This morning <we> moved about one mile a head, made a coffin for the Corpse of Sister mary williams, put it in, and buried it in a gentile buring ground[.] I got some Blacksmithing done[.] Sixty five cts worth. Several, in camp, are Severely ill. Our rations are very Short, viz 10 oz flour pday per one day. 10 oz pork per 28 days. Short rations of tea coffee Sugar. rice and aples. It is not enough. <there> Some complaining. The inhabitents are generaly very Kinde, but others manifest more of the mobing Spirit.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Friday 25 July 1856[.] This morning we started early. we had <a< cool breeze of wind all day, traveled; and traveled about 12 or 14 miles. and camped by a Small Creek < (Bear Creek) >. that is destitute of wood. This afternoon the Sharif of the county, viz poweshiek, came to Serch our wagons for women. that they Said a man in Brooklin, a country Town were bound. They Serched our wagons, and went of[f] satisfide that it was not so.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Saturday 26 July 1856[.] Last evening Some pers[ons] came in hearing of the Camp, and commenced singing. bawdy Songs, then cawled [called] over Some names, and commenced Singing again, and going away until the Sound died in the distance. We heared no more of them. This morning. 4 oclock, we arose at the Sound of the Bugle as usual, got our brakefast. and commenced preparing to Start. About this time it commenced to rain, this made very heavy traveling; the become mucch fatiegu. Sister [Ann B.] Cooper fainted by the way. We traveled about 11 miles, and camped on Shugar [Sugar] Creek. Camp of the Saints Skunk Riv[er], Iowa. Sunday 27th July 1856 [.] This morning we moved five miles and camped on this Creek for the day. a goodly number of the Citizens came to view our camp and hear preaching. a few ruffens als[o] came, one of whome picked up a hatchet, and put it into his pocket. This caused Some <angry> words. and during the day and evening, they made great threats of disturbing the us. but they did not put their threats into execution. We were prepare[d] to defend ourSelves. After noon I preached to an attent congregation. a good Spirit prevailed

Camp of the Saints two miles of Nuton [Newton,] Ioway Monday 28th July 1856[.] This after noon, we have had a very hilly road. We passed through Nuton [Newton] about 4 oclock P.M. by apperances. one would Suppose. that the Inhabitants of the Town and surounding country were Road side to See us pass. We had, been informed that the Inhabitants were p[r]epared to mob us as we passed, or were encamped; but we marched throug[h] fearlessly, and no one molested us, but gazed with apperant Supriee [surprise]. We traveled foreteen miles.

Camp of the Saints Skunk Riv[er] Ioway Tuesday 29th July 1856[.] To day we have traveled 12 miles. the Roads were good. Some of the Saints are aling, sore footed; and lame, but generaly, manifest a good Spirit.

Camp of the Saints South Skunk, Indian Creek, Indian creek <Skunk> Iowa Wednesday 30 July 1856[.] To day we traveled 12 miles. All in good Spirits. The childe, mentioned below. died last evening. and was buried this morning.

Camp of the Saints Indian creek Iowa Thursday 31st July /56[.] About 11 oclock last evening. Brother [James] Herons [Hurren’s] daughter [Selena], aged two weeks, departed this life. Her death was caused by the canker. This morning we buried her. then Stareted and traveled to fort Desmoins [Des Moines] 20 miles. many of the Saints were nearly over dun, by the long march. We did not get into camp untill after dark

Camp of the Saints Walnut creek Iowa Thursday 31st July Friday 1st Aug 1856[.] This morning we moved Ft Demoin [Des Moines] camped a mile out till after noon. the[n] traveled 4 miles. [.ae]. Here a large number of ruffins came determined to disturbe our camp. We kept a Strong gard. and none entered our carol [corral]. They dispersed about 12 oclock.

Camp of the Saints Ioway Friday July [August] 1856[.] To day we traveled about 12 miles. We intended to go 20 but the march was to long. Some of the aged and infirm went forward Several miles, and were obliged to come back[.] we Sent the mule team after them.

Camp of the Saints, middle Coon River Iowa Saturday 2d Aug 1856 [.] To day we traveled 16 miles. The people are generly healthy.

Camp of the Saints, South Skunk, Iowa Sunday Aug, 3d 1856[.] At four oclock this morning the Saints in camp were called up. they got Brakefast. attended prayers. and at Seven oclock were on our way again. We traveled ten miles, and encamped about 12 oclock. Here we remained, and rested the remaining part of the day. We had many visiters. Mail [Male] and female Citazens of the country. They were very civel.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Monday 4th August 1856[.] At 4 oclock A.M. we were called up. got brakefast, had Prayers. and at half past 6 were on our way. We marched 17 miles and encamped by a Small creek, without any timber except a few willows: which Served to make fires for cooking. Just before camping we had a little rain.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Tuesday 5th August 1856. This morning as usual we. arose early. got brakefast. attended prayers. and were on our march before 7 A.M. We traveled 17 miles; then encamped by a butiful Spring of water, naar a farm house, and Stage Stand. The country through there here is thinly Setled, the land is very roling and furtile.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Wednesday 6th August 1856[.] This morning when I awoke, the winde was blowing Strongly, and the rain faling heavly. The peple arose rather late[.] got their brakefast, attended, prayers, and were on their way about ten oclock. We traveled <12 miles> over a road. the moste of the day. which was new and hilly and encampe[d] about 5 oclock p.m. on a creek. a mile distent from water wood. all are very tired.

Camp of the Saints Iowa Thursday 7th August 1856. This morning we all arose early, got brakefast, attended prayers, and Started. traveled 7 miles, to a Small Vilage called Indian Town. We drove through about a mile, and took dinner. Here we met with a Brother from Pennsylvania, by the name of Josepep Seltcer. He gave Bro Willey [Willie]; [Millen] Atwood; [William] Woodard; Chislet Cox & myself dinner. He is strong in the faith, and intends to dispose of his property. and <intends to> gather with the Saints this fall. From this we traveled 6 miles and encamped by a Small creek. Sufficient Brush for cooking. As we passed through Indian town, Several of the Saints Stoped, and purchased Some necessary provision. among these was Brother J. Smi. who in makeing change, accidenly left his purs. with Six Soverins, one mexican Dollar. one half Dollar, and one ten cent piece in it. endeavers were made by Seresh [search] warand [warrant] to obtain it but failed. This operation detained Elder Wood[w]ard; and others, withe the mewl team, in Town all night.

Camp of the Saints Nishnabotna Iowa Friday 8th August 1856. This morning we waited until a late hour for Brother Wooderd [Woodward]. He overtook us where we nooned. we arived on the Nishnabotna about 4 oclock P.M. and encamped for the night. having traveled 14 miles.

Camp of the Saints Cass creek, Iowa 9th August 1856[.] This morning as usual we arose early. got brakefast, attended prayers, and were on our way at a quarter to Seven oclock A.M. we traveled 10 miles to Silver creek. and dined. Here Bro Garner his Daughter and Son left us. His wife remained, and traveled with us. from this we went to Cass Creek. 6 miles further, and encamed for the night. This after noon we had a Small Shower of rain.

Camp of the Saints Muskets Creek, Iowa Sunday 10th <August 1856[.]> To day we remained in Camp until 4 oclock P.M.; then Started and traveled 10 miles and encamped on this creek at dark. This afternoo[n] Brother Garner with his Son and Daughter desireing to go on with us. He Said that he was Sory, and wood ask forgiveness for the bad Said and don wrong, and would do better for the pres future. upon these considerations I consented to take him a long. He has endeavored with great enducements to persuade his wife to Stop with him. He was unable to do So. This, I believe, to be the greatest cause, of his wishing to continue with us.

Camp of the Saints Florance [Florence] Nebraska Territory Monday 11th August 1856[.] This morning we arose early. Got our Brakefast attended prayers, and started. After traveling about three miles, we came to Bluff City. Here, like all other Towns through which we have passed, the people thronged the Street Sides, and gazed upon us with apperant great Surprize. They were Sivil, except a few low bread fellows, who endeavere to make Sport of us[.] the cripled and lame not excepted. They were [r]epremanded by the Better class. Here we met Elder McGaw; the Emegrating agent at Florrance [Florence]. As he returned to Florance, he came to a house, near which, Some of our company had Stoped for refreshments; here Some of the Gentiles, and apostates, commensed to abuse the Saints, and curse the hancart Sistem, and those that instatuted it. Brother McGaw Stood in defense of the Sistem; Saints, and Servents Consequently got into a fist fight with them, Whiped one or two of them, but received no material injury to himself except geting his hair well pulled. We mooved to the Missourie [Missouri] River, f[e]rried over and encamped just dark. The last hancart Comp[any] left this for Salt Lake, about three weeks Since.

Camp of the Saints Florance [Florence] Nebraska <Territory>. Tuesday 12th August 1856[.] To day we commenced preparing for our jour[ney] and acertaining who wishes to go on this fall. and who wishes to remain here. Many are a going to Stop, others are faltering, and I myself am not in favor of, but much opposed to taking women & Children through destitute of clothing, when we all know. that we are bound to be caught in the Snow, and Severe colde w[e]ather, long before we reach the valey. I have expressesd my felings, in part, to Brothers McGaw, Willey [Willie]; & Atwood. Brother Atwood Said to me last night. that. Since he had been a member of this Church, with all of his experience. he had never been placed in a position where things appear so dark to him, as it does to undertake to take this Company through at this late Season of the year. This eveni

Florrance [Florence] Nebraska <Ter[ritory]> Wednesday 13th Aug 1856[.] To day we continued. preperations for Starting. evening we held meting in Camp. Brother Willey Exorted the Saints to go forward regardless of Suffering even to death; after he had Spoken, he gave me the oppertunity of Speaking. I said to him, that if I Sopke, I must Speak my minde, let it cut where it could would. He Said Sertainly do so. I then related to the Saints, the hard Ships that we Should have to endure. I Said that we were liable to have to wade in Snow up to our knees, and Should at night rap ourselvs in a thin blanket. and lye on the frozen ground without abed; that was not like having a wagon, that we could go into, and rap ourselves in as much as we liked and ly down. No Said I.—we are with out waggons, destitute of clothing, and could not cary it if we had it. We must go as we are &c The hand cart Sistem. I do not condemn. I think it preferble. to unbroke oxen, and unexprianced teamsters. The lateness of the Season was my only objection, of leaving this point for the mountains at this time. I Spoke warmly upon the Subject, but Spoke truth, and the people, judging from appearance and after expressions, felt the force of it. (but yet, the most of them, determond to go forward if the Authorities Say so.) Elder Willey then Spoke again in reply to what I had Said, <evidently dissatisfied> and Said that the God that <he> Served was a God that was able to save to the utrmost. that was the God that He Served; and he wanted no Jobes co[m]forters with him; &c I then Said that what I had Said, was truth; and if Elder Willey does not want me to act in the place where I am, he is at full liberty to place an other man in my stead, and I would not think hard of him for it; but I did not care what he Said about Jobes comforters. I had Spoken nothing but the truth, and he and others knew it. Elder Atwood then Spoke mildely, and to the purpose[e]. Said that he had ben edified in what had been said, &c he exhorted the Saints to prey to God and get a revilation, and know for themselves whether Should go or Stay, &C. for it was their privilege to know for themselves. The meeting dismissed, all manifesting a good feeling and Spirit.

Florance [Florence] Nebraska Teri [Territory] Thursday 14th Aug 1856[.] To day continued, preparing for our Journey this morning; I met Brothers George Grant; and Vancott. I was Glad to See them. They have been a fiew days down the River on business, and returned last evening.

Florance Nebriska Ter[r]itory, Friday 15th August 1856. Today we continued preparations for Starting. I wrote a letter to my Brother Alanson; &c Evening We held meeting, Elders McGaw; Kimble [Kimball]; Grant[.] Vancott addressed the Saints; exhorted them to go forward regardeless of consequences.

Little Papean [Pappea] Nabriska Saturday 16th Aug1856. This afternoon at 4 oclock the first & Second Hundreds mooved out 5 miles to this creek.

Little Papaw [Pappea] Nebriska Sunday 17th Aug 1856. This morning I wrote a letter to my Bro Alanson in Illinois, and one to Josep Bouton, Conn. I then went back to town with Six men and got 37 Beeves & Milck Cows. Our wagons are loaded with 35 or 40 Hundred of provisions and we lae yet want 25 Hundred or more and have no wagon, nor cant purchase one to hall it in.

Big Pap[p]ea Nebriska Monday 18th 1856[.] This morning Bro McGaw and Wm. Kimble [Kimball] come and Supled a few of the Saints. 4 oclock we moved on to this creek <5 miles>. Brs. McGaw & Kimble [Kimball] accompanied us. To this place then returned.

Elkhorn Tuesday 19th August 1856. This morning we moved on here and fer[ri]ed over, drove on about 2 miles & encamp[.] We left a cow behinde this morning; that we might finde her calf, which She had hid, we als[o] left a man to bring her up. He com a wa[y] and left, both Cow and Calf.

Platt Horn platt[e] Wednesday 20th August 1856. This morning I took the mule, and went back 12 miles, and got the above mentioned cow, but I got the calf at 2 oclock p.m. We moved on 12 miles to the Plat[te], <12 miles as> the weather denotes a Storm[.] It rayned alittle. We met Some Emigrunts from Calafornia [California]. They did not come through S[alt].L[ake] City.

Plat[te] River Thursday 21th [st] August 1856. To day we traveled up to the platt[e] Bottom to an other Bend in the river 12 miles. The grass was high. The roads some sandy, and the weather vary warm. At one oclock we arived at the river much fatigued. Here we took refreshments, devided the cows to each Hundred, and at 6 oclock, started, drove 4 or 5 miles and encamped without wood or water.

Plat River Friday 22d August 1856. This morning we Started at Sunrise:—traveled 4 or 5 miles to Shell creek.—<there> took brakefast—bought a few articles of a man by the name of Isaac Albertson.—then across the bottom to an other <bend> in the plat, <distant> 12 or 15 miles, where we arived abot 6 oclock P.M. and encamped fo[r] the Night

Loup Foork [Fork] Saturday 23d August 1856[.] To day we farryed the Loup Fork.

Loop [Loup] Fork Sunday 24 Augst 1856[.] To day we ttraveled 15 mile, camped by this Riv. Caught some five fish

Loop Fork Monday 25th Auguste 1856[.] This morning three cows were missing. Brother [Edward] Griffins [Griffiths] Stoped back for them. He found one only. We traveled 15 miles, encamped just Sunset. Just before this We had a Small Showr of rayne.

Loop Fork Tuesday 26th August 1856. This morning all had mooved of the Ground when I observed. That the king bolt of the last wagon was broke. This detained us until 9 oclock. A[.] M. We then mooved on, and overtook the company, after traveling about 12 miles, w[h]ere it had encamped on this River. This evening I caught a fine mess of catfish.

Loup fork Wednesday 27th August 1856[.] This morning we left the Loop [Loup] Fork, at 12 oclock[.] We came to some wells, from this over Sandy roads, to a pond of poor water having traveled about 15 miles. We encamped. Capt [Edward] Bunkers Company passed the 10 inst.

Wood River Thursday 28th August 1856[.] To day we crossed prayry [Prairie] creek about 12 oclock[.] From this point Bro [Andrew Lafayette] Siler, and I went in Serch for Buffalo. Saw four & shot at them but got none. The hand carts and teams moved on to wood River Some 8 or 10 miles. Bro Siler and I, Joined the carts about 2 miles from the River. The teams did not get to camp until after dark; They left olde Bro [William] Haly [Hailey] behind, a mile & a half or two miles distent. They Saught for him but in vane. He lay out all night and encountered a heavy rainstorm

Friday Wood River Friday 29th 1856. This morning, all healthy men in camp were requested by Brother Willey, to go in serch for Bro Haley. Th[e]y found him about a mile and a half from camp; wet and colde but in good Spirits. We Started at 12 oclock A.m. We traveled 5 or 6 miles, and came to a came [camp] of 800 Pawney [Pawnee] Indians. They are hunting Buffalow, and yesturday kiled 90. We bought some meat of them. They informed us of A[lmon]. Babels [Babbitt] teamster being killed by the Shians [Cheyennes], a woman that was with them was carried captive, and her childe six munse [months] olde kiled. The U.S. Troops folowed and kiled some of them.

Wood River Saturday 30th Aug 1856[.] This morning the Indians came to the camp early to traid more. At 7 <A.m[.]> oclock we were under way. At 12 A.M. we stoped to dine[.] Here we saw two oxen in the yoke <at a distance>. Bro Jo[seph]. [Benson] Elder. And myself went on horseback and got them. They were very wilde. We had a harde run for them. From this we traveled until near 6 P.M. and encamped, having traveled about 15 miles. A[lmon] Babit [Babbitt] whose teamsters were killed, and who stoped back on business, has just overtaken us. I have not spoke to him yet.

Dri [Dry] Creek, & plat[te] R[iver] Sunday 31st Aug 1856[.] This morning Mr. A Babbitt left us and went to fort Carney [Kearney]. He brought an elderly sister from Flawrence [Florence], intending to take her to the Valey: but the robery commited up on him by the Indians he is unable to do so. H[e] hires Bro Siler to take her. We traveled 18 miles. Had a good camping

Buffalo Creek Monday 1st Sept 1856[.] To day we traveled about 18 miles. This evening we killed a Buffalo, & a cow, for Beef. The cow was shot 11 times before she fell. I never see a beast so murdered before. Bro Willey had some disagreeable words concerning Bro Silers driving his teams between after the hand carts & in front of the han cart teams[.] I objected to his driving there, it being to us as a traveling camp with our sick. Bro Willey says he Shall drive these he has driven these from Floranse [Florence] except [.roe] days

Buffalo Creek Tuesday 2d Sept 1856[.] To day we traveled 13 miles, encamped at 4 oclock. A plenty of Buffalo in Sight. Some of the Brethren Shot them but got none.

near Chutah [Ptah] Lakes Wednesday 3d Sept 1856. This morning just after daylight Sister [Elizabeth Stanford] Ingra aged 75 years. And had been Sick and deranged from England, and be drawn in a hand cart from Iowa City, died. She suffred much. The campe mooved on, while Elder Willey and others remained bon the ground and buried her. At 12 oclock, the Brethren Killed two Buffalo near the road. We took the meat on hand carts. Traveled 16 miles & encamped without wood. Cok [cooked] our fo[o]d with buffalo chips. (dry dung) Bro. J[oseph] Elder and I went on horseback and endeavored to get a buffalo calf or cow. The olde bulls woud not let us have any. They formed themselves in battle aray, ready to receive their enemy. There large hurds to be Seen in all directions. We did not get to camp until after dark.

Near Chutah Lake Thursday 4th Sept 1856. Some time Last night, 28 30 of our best working cattle left us. We had a guard around them, but no one knows when or where they went. I, and a number of the Brethren Spent the day, unsuccessfully in hunting. Then. As I pass down the River I saw Bro [Abraham O.] Smoots Train on the opsit Side South. We had an awful Storm last night

Friday Near Chutah Lake Friday 5th Sept 1856. To da [today] we also Serched <:for the cattle> without Success. Bros Atwood: Siler & Jolts. Visited Brother Smoots Co across the plat[te]. I came to camp at dark, and found Bros Smoot and Roots well who had accompanied Bro Atwood company to camp. I was glad to see them. They Stoped with us all night.

Near Chutah Lake Saturday 6th Sept 1856. This morning Bros Elder: and [William] Smith Started back, towar Florance [Florence], after the our Stray oxen. The remainder of us removed the camp, half at a time about 3 miles. About 3 oclock <P.M.> Brs Smoot and [Porter] Rockwell left us to overtake their <Train which> is supposed to be mooving 15 miles ahead

Near Chutah Lake Sunday 7th Sep 1856. This morning four men from Calafornia [California] was Seen encamped near us. Bro. Willey myself & others visited them. The names of three of them are as follows. James, H. Hurn [Hurren]; (he Said they had left a horse about 18 miles back, and if I could finde, him I might have him) Franklin Hawkins; John Hawkins. They were Short of provisions. They intended to go to Karney [Kearny]. Then to Masourie [Missouri]. We Spent the a part of the day in a meeting preaching to the people, and the remainder in reparing our hand carts, and yoking unbroken cows.

Platt[e] River Monday 8th Sept 1856. This morning a discharged from Laramie Soldier <from Laramy [Laramie]> came in to camp and reported two families from Salt Lake, killed by the Indians. One of their names were Thomas Margrets. They were all well known by many of the Saints in this camp. We put from our wagons, on to our hand carts about 40 hundred of flour. Hiched up our teams & got under way about 11 oclock. We went 10 miles and camped by the platt[e]. Just dark. Numbers of the Sick did not get in until sometime after our wilde cows worke extraordinary well[.] Surely the hand of the Lord is with us yet

platt River Tuesday 9th Sept 1856. This morning we Started rather early late. Had heavy Sandy roads; traveled about 12 miles and encamped at 4 oclock p.m. on Skunk creek[.] our teams as well as the Saints were very tired

Platt River Wednesday 10th Sept 1856. To day we had Sandy roads, traveled 14 miles and encamped at the colde Springs

platt River Thursday 11th Sept 1856. To day we have had good roads, crossed Several creeks. Over which the moste of the women and children were caried by Bros Willey; Atwood and others. All in good Spiri[ts] and but few Sick. The flower [flour] on Some of the carts draws very hard.

North Bluff Fork Frid[ay] 12th Sept 1856. This morning we Started at half past eight and traveled eleven miles; cross this creek about four oclock p.m. Soon after this Brothers F[ranklin]. D[aniel]. Richards; D. Spencer; S. Welock [Wheelock], Wm Kimble [Kimball]; and others came up with us, also Bros Elder: & Smith: who went in serch for our cattle. They It was a joyful meeting. No one has heard of, or Seen our cattle to our knowledge. This evening, by moonlight, we held meeting: Pres Richards and others Spoke; and congratulated the Saints on their arduous Journey, and the Blessings they Should hereafter receive[.] We had a good time.

South Bank of the platt[e], Saturday 13th Sept 1856[.] This morning, agreeable to Bro Richards request and Bro Willeys orders, we arose at 4 oclock, got Bakefast [breakfast], and made ready for Starting at 7 oclock A.M. At this time our teams being hiched to our wagons, and our hand carts packed ready for Starting very unexpected to me, I pe[r]ceived a meeting of the Saints was called. Not on the camp ground but as usual, but a Short distance one Side. I supposesd it was for prayers. After Singing and prayers Brother Richards commenced to Speak. And I Soon <perceived> that the meeting was called in consequence of the wrong impression made by my expressing myself So freely at Florance [Florence], concerning our crossing the plains so late in the Season. The impression left, was, that I condemned the hand cart Skeem, which is aradiculy [ridiculously] wrong. I neaver conveyed Such an ideah, nor felt to do so, but quite to the conturary. I am infavor of it, and also the meeting was called. More particular in concequence of Some one, unknown to me, informing Brother Richards of the disagreeable words that took place Between Bro Willey and myself concerning Brother Silers teams Traveling Betwean the hand carts and fund wagons, which I Supposed was Settled when I asked Bro Willeys and the Saints forgiveness, for all that I had Said and done wrong. Brother Richards reprimanded me Sharply. Bro Willey Said that the Spirit that I had manifested from Iowa City. This <is> something unknown to me and Something he nevour before expressed[.] I had always the best of feelings toward him, and Supposed he had toward me until now, except in the case of Bro Siler above mentioned. After meeting president Richards and Co. left us intending to arive in Salt Lake City in time for October confirance[.] Agreeable to his council we crossed the River on to the South Side <& encamped>. The water was Shallow, but it reduired [required] a Strong team to draw our wagons through the Sandy bed of the River, a mile distent.

Platt River Monday Sunday 14th Sept 1856[.] To day we traveled up the platte botom 12 miles, and camped by the River again.

platte hills; Monday 15th Sept 1856. This fore noon we traveled up the botom on good roads. After noon we commenced to ascend the Bluffs. The ascent was Sand; it caused very hard puling. As we arose the Sumit three Indians came to us. They were <appared> friendly & Said that the Shians [Cheyennes] and Sou [Sioux]. Woud kill us all, that they had Some five days ago fell upon a large train. What damage was done we did not acertain; and we only have the Indian[s] <to> confirm it at best. At Sundown we camped aroung a Small Buffalo wallow which had ben reacently been filed with the reacent rains. We were all much fatigued with our days Journey. We chained the our oxen to the wagon. For there was neither fead nor water, and we have Some fears of the Indians. We Set a Strong guard. About 2 oclock A.M. an alarm was mad[e]. I immediately got out of bed, but Seen nor heard nothing of Indians. Some Said they Saw one, and heard the voices of others.

Platte Bluffs Tuesday 16th Sept 1856. This morning, the Camp was called by the Sound of the bugle, at 3 oclock. And moved before day light. We traveled Some 10 miles, in which distance, we decended through a rough canyon, to the platte where we took brakefast. 10 oclock A. M. Here we remained until 2 P. M; when we mooved up the River 3 or four miles & encamped for the night. Both people and teams are much fatigued by the hea[v]y Sandy roads.

Platt River Wednesday 17th Sept 1856. This morning, Just before the camp got under way, a colde, and Strong wind arose from the N.W. This togeather with the hea[v]y Sand, made our progress very Slow, and exstreanly laborious. Several were obliged to leave their carts and they with the infirm, could Scarcely Get into camp. Our teams also, at times, could Scarcely moove. We traveled about 10 miles

Ash hollow Thursday 18th Sept 1856. This morning we got under way as usual, and traveled 4 or 5 miles where there and the Road ascended the Bluffs. There we dined then doubled our teams, and ascenededth the long, S[t]eep hill; Immediately we reached the Summet, we commenced descending into ash hollow, and encamped at its mouth by the platte. At dinner, Sister [Sarah] Reade [Reed] who Bro [Almon] Babitt left with us was missing[.] it [was] acertained that She was a head; but She is not in Camp, and no one knows, where. She is. She is bound to Stay out one night.

Mouth of Ash hollow Friday 19th Sept 1856. Today we remained in Camp. To repare our carts. Some are broken, and others, the axe[l]s are badly worne. Bro [John] Chislet[t] wi[t]h a company of Brethren, went in cerch for Sister Reede. About 11 oclock A.M. they returned and reported they had followed her foot steps 7 or 8 miles, mingled with Indian foot Steps, and Suppose that the Indian. Have got her. President Willey was not fuly Satisfied, and determond to go himself: chose me and ten others. We found her Setep as reported, but I was Satisfied that She had not been disturbed by Indians. She had taken the Road up Ash Hollow, going back to South Fork of the Platte. About 5 miles out we found her steps coming back, but it Soon left the Road. Dark came, and we returned to Camp when we found She had Just been brought in by Some of the Brethren. Who had gon to the Kanyon for timber. She was nearly exhosted, having been 36 hours without food and water. The weather is extreamly warm

Platte River Saturday 20th Sept 1856. At 2 oclock P.M. having repared our carts, we Started, and traveled 6 or 8 miles. The [weather] is co[o]l, and this evening a mist of rain commenced to fall. No wood

Platte River Saturday Sunday 21st Sept 1856. Last night was very rainey, and disagreeable. also wet and colde to day. Many Sick and Stoping back to get in to the wagons. The roads are very Sandy. We could scarcly moove. Sister [Ruvina Mount] Seassons [Leason] little boy [William], 2 years olde, <died 11 oclock> last night. The wather is yet colde and damp. Traveled 12 miles

Platte River Monday 22nd Sept 1856. This fore noon a mist of rayn was stil falling Afternoon. The clowds broke a little, the rain Stoped, and it become a little warmer. We have traveled about 12 miles to day. Brother [Jesse] Emp[e]y departed this life at half past one p.m. One of his hands and armes was nearly covered with putrefied sores. I Should Suppose hereditary, He has been having the ague Some time past but whom thought him dangerous

Platte River Tuesday 23rd Sept 1856. This morning was cold and foggy. The Saints dilatory in rising and geting Brake fast early, notwithstanding Brother Willies repeated order to arise at the Sound of the horn. (daylight) appearently not realizeing the nessissity of our making as much distance as posible, in order to reache the valey before too Severe colde weather. Some comeplaing of hard treatment, because we urge them along. Many hang to the wagons. This after noon, we come in Sight of Chimney Rock, and camped within 10 miles of it. Have traveled 16 miles.

Platte R[iver]. near Chimney Rock Wednesday 24th Sept 1856. To day we traveled 16 miles. Camped near Chimney Rock. I thought we were nearer last night to it than we were. We have fine weather.

Platte R Thursday 25th Sept 1856. To day we traveled about 16 miles. And at five oclock encamp a short distance above Rubadores [Robideaux] late Trading post. Just before we arived. at The post we found and caught a large dark bay horse. He is very thin in flesh, and has been left, no doubt, by Some Company passing to, or from, great Salt Lake, or Calafornia [California].

Platte River Friday 26th Sept 1856. To day we traveled 14 miles, without water. Some of our oxon nearly give out. We camped at Rubadoes [Robideaux] olde tradingpost. When we Stoped at 12 oclock A.M. Sister Ann, Briant [Bryant] who had been ill Some time, but not though[t] dangerous, was found dead in the wagon, in a Siting posture; appearently asleep. Her age is 70 years next month.

Platte R. Saturday 27th Sept 1856. To day we traveled about 12 miles[.] The olde appear to be failing conciderably.

Platte Riv 20 miles of Laramy [Laramie] Sunday 28th Sept 1856. To day we traveled 16 miles. 12 oclock we met a company, from Salt Lake, going to the States[.] I think mostely apostates. Benjamine Brackenbary was with them[.] they Said, Babbitt was killed by the Indians, just before camping, Some Soldiers that were camped near the Road took the horse, that we had caught by force

5 miles below Ft. Laramy Monday 29th Sept 1856. To day we traveled about 14 miles[.] Bro Woodard & Elder went to the Ft, B[r]other Richards has no cattle provided for us here, & no other provisions made.

Fort Lareme Tuesday 30th Sept 1856. Today we mooved on 6 miles[.] camped 2 miles from the Fort.

Platte R. Wednesday 1st Oct 1856. Today This morning, Brother David Reader [Reeder] was found dead in his bead. He has ben ill Some time. He had no pertient deseas. But debility[.] He was a good man and a worthy member of the Church. Brother Siler and company Stopes here to recrute, and Streng[t]hen his teams, and Join the first wagon company that arives here. Bound fo the valey. Our camp moved on, and Brothers Willey; Atwood; myself; and others Went to the Fort and perchased provisions. They are exstreamly costly. I Stoped all night with Bro Siler, & company

Early this morning Thursday 2d Oct 1856. I returned to the Fort, made Sale of my wa[t]ch; which cost me 20 dollars, fore eleven and perchased a pare of $6[.]00 boots and other articles; Then I poseeded to overtake the Camp. On my way I met a company of Elders from the Valey, bound to the different Nations of the Earth to preach the Gospel. I met Brother P[arley].P. Pratt in camp, He Spoke chearingly to the Saints[.] To day Bro [William M.] Reade [Reed] died of a disease at the hart. He age is 64

Platte River Friday 3rd Oct 1856. To day we left the River, crosed over the hills, Said to be 22 miles to fead and water. We traveled until 8 o clock P.M. and camped within a half of a mile of a spring. But no feard for our cattle, we were all fatiegued[.] Bro [George] Ingra, aged 68 died just after we camped.

Saturday 4th 1856. This morning 10 oclock we Started, and traveled about five miles, to a Small creek, and encamped, took an estimate of our provisions, and reduced our rations to 12 oz per day. The Paciffick [Pacific] Springs is the only place that we are Sure of meeting Suplies[.] Bro Benjamine Cull[e]y, aged 61 years, and David [Daniel] Gadd aged; 2 years, ded. All thre were Buried, als[o] a Dain [Dane] that died last night, Some Stealing is practiced by Some, consequently we put all the provisions into three wagons, and placed a gard over them.

Sunday 5th Oct 1856. Eight oclock this morning we got under way, have had good roads. Traveled about 16 miles[.] camped by the Platte[.] The weather is very fine

Platte River Monday 6th Oct 1856. To day we traveled 16 miles. Our rations are now reduced to an average of 12 oz flower per head. We are not certain of Supplies before ariving at the Pacific Springs.

Platte River Tuesday 7th Oct 1856. To day we traveled 14 miles. The weather is good.

Deer Creek Wednesday 8th Oct 1856. This [morning] when we arose we found the best ox in our train, dead; In the weak State of our teams, the loss impared it much. At 9 oclock A.M. we mooved. Traveled 15 miles, our olde people are nearly all failing fast; A four mewl [mule] team, an express from Laramie is camp[ed] near us; They passed us this after noon

Platte River Thursday 9th [Oct] 1856. To day we mooved 16 miles.

Last Crossing of the platte Friday 10th Oct 1856. At about 12 oclock, we passed the platte Bridge. Here we got 37 Buffalo robes, which Pres. Richards purchased for us. Mooved on 5 miles, crossed the River and Encamped, our teams are very weak

Mineral Springs Saturday 11th Oct 1856. To day we traveled 12 miles, 3 of our working cows give out and one died, and the remainder of our oxen were nearly overcum.

Small Creek Sunday 12th Oct 1856. To day, we left out of the yoke, Some of our cows that were nearly exausted. Last nig[ht] our cattle had good fead, and they traveled much better to day than yesturday[.] One of the cows, that was over run with work tho drove less could not be got within a mile of Camp. By Bro Willies order, Several of the Brothren went back to kill her, for the peop[le] to eat, (if they wanted it)[.] They Struck her twice in the head, with an ax. She got up & run into camp, where She was Shot, dressed, and ishued out; The people have Sharp apatites

Grease wood [Greasewood] creek, Monday 13th Oct 1856. To day we have traveled 13 miles. The nights are colde. The days are warm and pleasent.

Independence Rock, Tuesday 14 Oct 1856. To day we traveled 12 miles. Got Some Saleratow [Saleratus], out of the Saleratus Lake, and crost the Sweet water [Sweetwater] River at the 2d bridge.

Sweete Water Wednesday 15 Oct <1856>[.] To day we traveled 15½ mile[.] Last night Caroline Reeder, aged 17 years, died, and was Buried this morning. The peopple are geting weak, and failing very fast. A greate many Sick. Our teams are als[o] failing fast and it requires great exertion to make any progress. Our rations were reduced last night, one quarter bringing the mens to 10 oz, womans to 9 oz. and the children, some to 6 and others to 3 oz. each.

Sweete Water Thursday 16 Oct 1856. This morning we had three deaths and one birth. We have traveled 11 miles to day. Our oxen are much worne down and our loading increased daly by the weak and Sick.

Sweete Water Friday 17th Oct 1856. At 2 oclock this morning Brother Wm. Philpot died and was beried before we Started. At 10 oclock the camp mooved, traveled 10 miles and encamped at Sun Set.

Forth Crossing of the Sweete Water Saturday 18th Oct 1856. To day we traveled eight miles, camped, killed a beef, and prepared for a 16 miles drive with water. The [weather] is cool but fair.

Fifth Crossing of [the Sweetwater] Sunday 19th Oct 1856. At half past 10 oclock we started. In about one hour after, we encountered a very severely colde, and blustering Snowstorm <for one hour> the porly clad, women and Children Sufered much. 12 oclock we met Bro Wheelock and company. Who have come to our relief. He reported 40 wagons loaded with flower. One day in advance of us. This was Joyful news to us, fore we had eaten the last pound of flower, having only 6 small Beeves, and 400 lbs. <of> buiscit to provision over 400 people. After <a> Short meeting in which Bros Wheelock and [Lo….] I. Young [s]pake chearingly to the Saints, we mooved on: The wind continued strong and cold. The children, aged, and infirm fel back to the wagons till they were so full that all in them were exstreamly uncomfortably. Brother [John] Knuckles [Nockles], aged 66 years died during the day, in a hand cart, hiched behind one of the wagons. Sister [Eliza Williams] Smith, aged and Daniel Osborn, age 8 years, died in the wagons. They had been ill Some time. The carts arived at the River at dark. The wagons, it being dark took an other road and did not get into camp until 11 oclock p.m. nearly exhosted and so were myself & teamsters.

Six Crossing of the Sweet Water Monday 20th Oct 1856. This morning when we arose we found Several inches of Snow on the ground; and is yet Snowing. The cattle, and people, are so much reduced with Short food and hard work. That except we get assistance, we Surely, can not move far in this Snow.

Brothers Willey and Capt, and Elder, Started on horseback, about 10 oclock. To cerch for the wagons. Wagons that Wheelock reported, a Short distance in our advance. This morning we isued the last bread, or breadstuffs in our possession. It continued Snowing Severely during the day. We expected Bro Willey would return this evening, but he has not come.

Six Crossing of the Sweet Water Tuesday 21 st Oct 1856. This morning, about eleven oclock, Bro. Willey returned, with Bro George Grant, having a good Suply of teams, wagons, & provisions <& Some clothing>. A desireable relief. Here, we buried Several persons.

Wednesday Oct 22d 1856. We prepared for Starting, and commenced mooving about 12 oclock. Brother Grant took a good portion of the teams, and Continued his Journey, to meet Bro Martins Company, and Bro Wm Kimble [Kimball] took charge of our company. We traviled about 10 miles and camped at the foot of what is called the Rocky Ridge. I had charge of the teams; and because of their reduced Strength, and heavy loads,—a large number of Sick, and Children were in the Wagons—I did not arive in camp until late at night. The wind blew bleek and colde, and fire wood very scarse. The Saints were obliged to Spread their light beding on the Snow, and in this colde State, endeavored to obtain a litle rest. Sister [Eliza Hancock] Philpot died about 10 oclock P.M. leaving two Fatherless girls, also Several others died during the night.

Thursday morning Oct 23d[.] We beried our dead, got up our teams, and about 9 oclock A. M. commenced ascending the Rocky Ridg[e]. This was a Severe day. The wind blew awful hard, and colde. The ascent was some five miles long, and Some places, Steep and covered with deep Snow. We became we[a]ry, Set down to rest, and Some become chilled, and commenced to frieze, Brothers Atwood; Woodard; and myself; remained with the teams, they being porfer loaded down with the Sick, and children. So thickly Stoed [stowed], I was fearful, some would Smuther. About 10 or 11 oclock in the night, we came to a creek that, we did not like to attempt to cross without help, the [creek] being ful of ice and freezing colde. Leaving Bros Atwood; and Wooderd [Woodward] with the teams, I started to the camp for help; I met Bro Willey coming to look for us, he turned for the camp as he could do no good a loan. I passed Several on the road, and arived in camp after about four miles travel. I arived in Camp; but few tents were pitched, and men, women, and Children Sit shivering with colde around their Small fires. Some time alapsed when two teams Started to bring up the rear; Just before daylight they returned, bringing all with them, Some badly frozen; Some dying, and Some dead. It was certainly heartrending to hear Children crying for mothers, and mothers, crying for Childrin. By the time I got them, as Comfortably Situated as circumstances could admit. (which was not very comfortable) day was dawning. I had not Shut my eyes for sleep, nor lain down. I was nearly exhosted with fatigue, and want of rest.

Friday 24th; This morning found us with thirteen corps[es] for berral. These were all put into one grave. Some had actualy frozen to death. We were <obliged> to remain in camp, move the tents, and people behinde the willows to She[l]ter them from the screing wind, which blew enough to pearce us through. Several of our cattle died here.

Saturday 25th. We commenced our march again. From this I have not been able to keep a daily journal, but nothing of much note transpired excepte the people ded daily. Theophilus Cox died on the morning of the 7th Nov. on the Webber [Weber], was carried to Cottonwood grove, East Canion [Canyon] Creek, and there beried. We overtook Bro Smoot’s Com[pany] in emegration, in the a.m. that afternoon arrived in G.S.L. City, deposited the people among the Saints w[h]ere they were made comfortable