Transcript for Mace, Wandle, Autobiography [ca. 1890], 158-60

In the spring of 1859, after completing a Mill for Wm John Johnson in the vicinity of Crescent I fitted up one wagon with two good covers[.] The outer one I painted to resist the rains we were likely to encounter[,] a Mosquito Bar between the two covers for convenience in hot weather, we left Florence for the Valley.

During my stay in Florence I entertained many, and enjoyed the association of many of the Elders from the valley, both, as they went and as they returned from the missionary field, many of them were my associates years before in the City of Joseph, the Beautiful Nauvoo, in scenes of joy, and of the most intense grief, and under the most distressing circumstances. When the camp of The Saints rested in Florence, my house have [had] been filled with the poor and the sick, and the Lord blessed us in a remarkable manner. It used to be said by the townspeople, that my house contained more guests than any hotel in town.

I started with my family from Florence about 10 o,clock on the morning of the twenty eighth day of June 1859. With good wagon[,] two yoke of Oxen and a cow. We overtook Captain Edward Stevenson with his company on the 30th at the big bend of the Platte River.

I travelled with his company, which consisted of fifty five wagons, there were five captains of Tens. I was assigned a place in Elder Taylors division. One yoke of my oxen were very fine heavy cattle, but by the time I reached Genoa I found they were not suitable for such a journey in hot weather as we had already experienced. I found an opportunity to exchange for a smaller and lighter yoke of Oxen paying two dollars and fifty cents for the opportunity.

I presume the journey across the plains was the same as all have experienced who have crossed the plains with ox teams. It is a tedious journey at best, but at times there are circumstances which produce much excitement in a company; such as this where almost every wagon contains a family, such as a stampede among the cattle, the loss of a man strayed from camp with the necessary delay of the company while searching parties are out hunting him, and the joy experienced when he is found. This was our experience.

On the twenty fourth day of July, the 12th anniversary of the entrance of the Pioneers into the valley of the Salt Lake—being Sunday—we staid in camp and held meeting. A Young lady aged sixteen died. in the morning, and was buried in the afternoon. there were also six persons baptised.

The day closed, the evening was calm and pleasant, a bright clear moon shone above us, most of the camp had retired for the night, groups of men here and there was pleasantly chatting, sitting by my wagon, was Capt Stevenson, Capt Taylor, Dr. Hullinger, myself and my wife, it was a lovely evening and we were enjoying ourselves in pleasant conversation. The cattle only a short distance from camp were all lying down, all was peace and quiet, we sat where we could see them and remarked how quiet and content they were.

[blank space] About 10. o,clock, as if with one accord they all rose to their feet and rushed furiously past the wagons, making the earth tremble as with an earthquake; immediately the men were on the move and in a short time had the cattle stopped—and quieted—. This singular move among the cattle aroused the camp, and many were the queries as to the cause that produced the stampede, these queries could not be answered.

At another time while travelling through the Black Hills a portion of the cattle in the train started with the wagons attached, such occurences are very exciting. Sometimes a stampede ends very seriously, but we were fortunate, we escaped without anyone being injured.

By the time we reached Green River, our company had lost great many cattle. many died from drinking water strongly impregnated with alkali the loss of so many cattle made us travel very slow. I lost one Ox at Webb Creek. and at the first opportunity, I made a single yoke for my odd Ox and used a spike team, I sold my stove for a cow and yoked the two cows together and put them ahead of the wheel cattle and the odd Ox on the lead, and we then got along first rate.

T. B. H. Stenhouse and others when they saw the plan worked well also adopted it. Some of the brethren lost all their team but one Ox. The loads had to be transferred to other wagons, and the cattle of the company was so distributed that all the wagons could move.

This was our situation when on the 4th September, we were met about 13 miles west of Green River by Apostles John Taylor and Franklin D. Richards, with Flour and Cattle, which was much appreciated. A meeting was held in the evening and we received much good instruction from these Brethren.

We moved along better now, and on the 15th reached the summit of the Little Mountain where we camped. Capt Stevenson rode on to the City of Salt Lake and returned the next day [and] met the company as we emerged from Emigration Kanyon [Canyon]. He rode up to my wagon and said, “President Young inquired about the company and who I had in the company of the Old Ones, when I mentioned your name, he shouted Hurrah! where shall I throw my hat! Wandle Mace! added, He is a good fellow, slow, But He never apostatized.” This expression and manifestation of pleasure and confidence, done my soul good, after a seperation of over thirteen years.

On entering the City I met a number of my old friends awaiting the arrival of the company among them The Presiding Bishop, Edward Hunter. He told me Prest Young wanted me to call on him the next day at one o,clock, and he told Bishop Andrew Cun[n]ingham who was present to accompany me to the Prest Office I being a stranger in the City. In the evening Apostle John Taylor and his wife visited us in the camp, on Union Square. Orson Pratt and a number of other Brethren came to see me in camp and heartily welcomed us.

I now felt at home. . . .