Transcript for Matthew Rowan autobiography and journals, circa 1848-1863

Saturday [July] 28th.

 About midday we Started on our way from the hill above Mormon Grove, and after travelling about 4 miles we camped for the night where we could find both wood and water. I drove my team very well


Sunday 29th.

We moved off by 11 A. M. and I got my hind axeltree broken by St. George’s [Francis De St. Jeor] waggon running up against it in trying to pass me while I was labouring to get my off ox to “go on[.]” This made [me] not so well pleased with Bro St. George and on reproving him for acting so incautiously he got the Spirit and told me (what I very well knew) that I “had [gotten] into a mess, and I was to come out of it the best way I could.” The axeltree not being fairly broken off we got it drawn up a bit, but the not the length of the camp. We were a camp by ourselves this night. We travelled about 12 miles today.


Orson Spencer visited the camp in a Carriage in the evening.


Monday 30th

To day Several of the brethren turned out and helped me to splice my axle tree. which was done by the afternoon and we moved on a bit to the Camp in the midst of a great hail and rain Storm. the greatest I have ever seen. I got my self drenched in a very short time. The camp did not travel any to day.


Tuesday 31st

About 10 A.M. we moved out of Camp. yesterday I was appointed general Commissary for the company. And as Bro [Robert] Micklejohn’s  [ox] was killed last night by running itself madly against a tree, it was my business to portion out the flesh of the same to the captain’s of companies to be devided among the P.E.F. folks and I sold 1 Dollar and 60 cents worth at 6 cents per lb to the “Independents.” The skin was cut up for whip lashes and I bound part of it round my axle tree to strengthen it. The fat was melted for the purpose of greasing the wagons. This all happened at what is called “little grass hopper Creek.” We travelled only about 8 miles today. We had a Meeting in the Carell [corral] in the evening in the moon light, when short speeches were made by Elders [Charles Alfred] Harper, [Thomas Evans] Jeremy, St George [Francis De St. Jeor], and G[eorge Walter]. Bramwell. OX – ology, of course, formed the Subject of discourse, with the exception of a few scattered remarks relative to cooking. camping, eating, drinking &c.



Wednesday 1st

We started this morning about ten. our oxen travelled along pleasently today. We camped in the evening at a creek having both wood and water[.] I forget, or never knew, how many miles we travelled today.


Thursday 2nd

We left about 8 A.M. We travelled to a creek when we gave our cattle Some drink &c. In taking mine down into the creek they rushed down into a narrow place and huddled the one on the top of the other[.] Two yoke of them. I got out pretty handily but the other yoke. “Joe” & “Sam” turned their yoke and commenced pulling and strangling each other in the water. Poor Sam got under Joe and I got under Sam up to my middle in the mud and water. I got out (I don’t know how) however and held Sam’s head up out of the water, cawled lustily out for help, when only 1 (Brother Hendry) among Several that were there came and help me to get poor Sam out of his bed of mud. In the morning I had laboured hard to get my tongue and middle cattle to lead, and with that labour and the fatigue of saving Sam and his fellow Joe. I felt completely exhausted. I was mud up to the neck and when I got up to the camp, I had to wash and change my clothing. As for my trouser they were so torn and other wise spoiled that I threw them away.


We travelled about 14 miles today. The hardest day I have had on the journey.


Friday 3rd

We left this morning about 8 A.M. and travelled about 14 miles then camped for the night. The day was fair and we stoped about midday to water and feed our cattle. Our cattle got along very well today. but about 9 P.M. after being turned out they Stampeded. but we soon got right again by the exertions of the brethren[.] An ox with one a yoke dangling about its neck had caused the Stampede, it was thought. It created quite a panic in the camp however as Some thought the Indians had come upon us. I could do nothing but dream of Cattle and Stampeding all night.


Saturday 4th

We travelled about 10 or 11 miles to-day. We left our place of encampment by 8 A.M. and travelled to Minahaw Creek and City. The city is a log house or two and 1 house is a Store. After taking dinner[,] watering and feeding our cattle we crossed the creek and travelled for about a mile and camped. I met in counsel with the Captains &c.


I divided my first ration of Bacon to the Companis [companys] 1 Ib per head for one week. our Cattle did well to day


Sunday 5th

We left about 9 A.M. and travelled 10 miles then camped for the night.


We had a meeting in the evening in the Carrell and thus we kept our Sunday holy unto the Lord. About 8 A.M. E. Snow and C. Bassett drove up to us on their [way] to the valley. They travelled in Company with the Mail which past us about 10 A.M. consisting of 3 vans.


Monday 6th.

We left our place of encampment about 8 A.M., and travelled 15 miles to “Vermillion Creek” where there was a pretty good Store. I bought Sugar, bacon, onions, vinegar, and a tin water bucket. Today about half past 1 P.M. Betsy [Elizabeth Sarah Graves] daughter of [Daniel] Graves of England, fell out of the wagon on attempting to get off and was killed by the wheel of the waggon running over her neck and head. She died instantly. Her age was 12 yrs. She was buried this evening after Sun down at Vermillion Creek.


Tuesday 7th

We left “Vermillion Creek” and travelled to “Elm Creek” (8 miles) where we dined and watered and fed our cattle[.] Then we travelled to [“]Big Blue” (12 miles) making us having traveled today 20 miles. One of my oxen was very lame when we set out to day. I was called to go on the first guard to night, from 6 to 9 P.M.


Wednesday 8th

Elder E. Snow made a call upon our Company for 6 men and 6 yoke of oxen to go back to Allred’s Camp and help him to bring along the “Church train”; accordingly 6 men were Selected, also 6 oxen out of the 3 companies to go back this morning. The companies supplied them by voluntary Subscription in the way of bread, tea, Sugar, &c. After dinner we prepared to Cross the “Big blue” river but they found that as some of the Cattle had gone astray we could not cross today.


Thursday 9th.

We had to cross the ferry to day, and some waggons in Jeremy’s Company had crossed when another of that company tumbled right over in the river breaking the tongue of the waggon and wetting the flour and other articles in the waggon. It was at length got out and Capt [William Walker] Rust took his accross wetting only a few things in his waggon. Next came [Daniel] Graves’s waggon and just as it entered the river the whole underwork of his waggon gave way and there they lay a wreck in the river. My box of books that he was carrying for me with water in the box.


I took it away and on opening the box I found that there was not a deal of damage done to the books[.] The margins of Some of them only being a little wetted. I dried them in the Sun, repacked them, and gave them again in charge of Bro, Graves. The river was now fast rising and the orders were given to the effect that no more waggons should cross until the river would fall[.]


A Brother who was attempting to cross the river got nearly drowned. when he had been under the water twice and coming up the third time, a Brother jumped in and caught him by the hair of the head and drew him out. The cattle all Swam over.


Friday 10th

The river is still too high and we remain here.


Saturrday 11th

The river is still too high. The rain falls plentifully; the thunder roars and the lightening flashes tremendously


Sunday 12th

The river is still too high[.] A meeting was held on our side of the river at which I was called upon to speak


Monday 13th.

The river is Still too high. The rain Still comes down at a great rate.


Brother [Milo] Andrus rode up to our camp to day. He is in charge of the company that Bro [John Solomon] Ful[l]mer was to bring along. and Bro. Fulmer is in charge of his own team only!


Bro. Andrus has taken Bro [William] Willes’s Captainship from him. Wonders will never cease!


Tuesday 14th.

 It was agreed that we Should ferry over to day, So we drew up our wagons to the ferry but we only got a few of them over in the evening as it rained very fast all day. Bro Andrus’s company came in to day. I found a fine riding whip in the grass.


Wednesday 15th

We began to cross the ferry early this morning, and Bro. Andrus’s company followed us. We all camped for the day on the oposite side.


The day being the first fine day we have had for Some time the companies availed themselves of the opportunity of airing and washing their things as they had got wet mildewed &c during the wet weather.


I gathered Some wild grapes. Three Indians visited our camp this evening. They wanted to buy up Some flour, they said.


Thursday 16th                                                                                                                                               

We left about 8 a. m. followed by Bro. Andrus’s company. We dined &c at a creek about six miles on the way; and about 9 miles farther we camped at a place where there was neither wood nor water. I went on guard at half past 7 and Stood till 11[.] The night was quite cold. Bro. Andrus’s company past us on the way and camped about a mile on.


Friday 17th

We decamped about 8 A.M. A little beyond “rock creek” we saw some of Bro Andrus’s company digging a grave for “Alice[”] Eng died 18th


Friday, 17th

We decamped about 8 A.M. and travelled about 20 miles[.] Camped at a place where there was neither wood nor water, but we had taken <in> a Supply of both at a creek that we passed over a little before.


Saturday, 18th.

We left our camping place about 7 A.M. and travelled about 17 miles and we put up for the night at the other side of “Rock Creek” about 5 miles. A distance beyond “Rock Creek” we saw some of Bro Andrus’s company digging a grave for the body of Alice Cotrel, aged 18. from Eng. who died today of cholera. A little further on we came on to two of Bro Andrus’s waggon that had been Smashed another had just been mended and sent on[.] The majority of his company was on to the other creek about 5 miles from here. There is a large merchant train camping near us. I gave out to the company my 3rd delivery of baccon.


Sunday 19th

We left our camping place about 8 A.M. The day was fine, the roads good, and we travelled about 23 miles, getting into “Little Blue” about Sun down. I had to Stand guard from 15 min to ten p.m. till 15 min past 2 A.M. Some of the cattle were quite tired out. We past the main body of Andrus’s company at Sandy Creek. They purposed leaving Some time during the day.


Monday 20th

We decamped about 8 A.M. Bro. Andrus’s company was in Sight when we were leaving “Little Blue.” We travelled along the “Little Blue”, for about 8 miles then camped for the day about 12 noon.


We saw some buffaloe on a rising ground a little ahead of our camp, the first we have Seen. I had to ford the “Little Blue” after cattle this morning. It took me up to the bre[a]st. We passed four graves at Little blue, one of which was Elder [Jacob Foutz] Secrist’s who died here. He was returning from being on a mission to Switzerland.


Tuesday 21st

We Started in good time this morning. We travelled about 20 miles and camped for the night. During the course of the day two waggons were upset; they <were> [John] Memmott’s and Graves’s. Sister [Julia Wilson] Memmott and the children being in their waggon, they were all more or less injured. Sister Memmott and the youngest child were worst hurt. Elder Rust and I adminstered to two of the children. Only one of Graves’s daughters was injured, and that was but slightly. The waggons were soon repaired, and on we went, thankful that matters were no worse.


Wednesday 22nd.

 We got up in good time and travelled about 17 miles.


Thursday 23rd

We, as usual, Started off in good time and travelled about 18 miles, and camped for the night at a place short of where we intended to camp, as one of the Italian Brethren’s waggons was upset there and 6 inmates injured. The Brother was away hunting Buffaloe at the time instead of attending to his waggon. Brother Andrus’s company came up close to us and camped. Sister [Mary] Harris applied to me for some composition powder as she had been poorly for a week past.


My wife [Jane] was poorly this evening; So was the child [Ammon].


Friday 24th

We got up in good time and Set out for the river platte, which after a Short days journey we reached, and camped for the night.


Saturday 25th

We Stayed here all day and had the Black Smiths set to work for both companies mending chains &c.


Sister [Mary] Parkin of Sheffeild was shot in the side this morning. Brother [John] Parkin had left his gun loaded in the tent at her side on the bed. but not before he had taken off the cap, and it cannot be said what had touched it to let it off, but it is said that some of the composition of the cap must have been left on the nipple of the gun which had been struck and so fired the gun. Bros. Andrus, Fulmer, and others extracted the shot and pieces of her dress from the wounds. They seem only to be flesh wounds. My wife was the first to go in and take her and the children out of the tent. Bro. Parkin was not there.


Sunday 26th.

We left early and travelled about 18 miles and camped by the side of the river[.] We had a meeting in the evening, and dispensed the sacrament.


Monday, 27th

We set off this morning about 7 o’ clock, and after travelling 25 miles camped a little after 5 p.m. by the side of the river. Plenty of Buffalos to be seen as we go along. Fine weather[.] We had a regular Row between Bro. [Edward] Sutherland and Mrs [Mary Elizabeth Pill] Marrett [Marett], wife of the man in whose waggon he came out. The whole camp was turned out.


They fell out because they would not agree to be agreeable[.] Sutherland is accused of the impropriety of sleeping with a sister [Martha] Barton, who is with Mrs Marrett, and he cannot agree with them because of they wanting him to do more in the helping them with their affairs. But he did not come out to be a “Slave” to Mrs Marrett, and he would not do as she or the rest wanted him. Both Bro Sutherland and Mrs Marrett are first rate scolders!


Tuesday, 28th.

We left our camping place by 20 min. to 8 A.M. and travelled about 20 miles and camped by the river side for the night. We watered our oxen about 1 o’ clock but we don’t stop now to cook or eat dinner.


We generally contrive to have Some “Lusty puding,” or Pea soup or Rice, cooked in the morning and we carry them with us and eat such about midday.


Bro. [Joseph] Dunkley’s waggon tongue was broken today.


Wednesday, 29th

We left camping place by half past 7 A.M. We travelled about 15 miles and camped by the side of the river. The river is almost dried up. Some of the Brethren Shot a Buffaloe of which we had several bits from some who were present at its death[.] Although many have been shot at, and hit, this is the first that had been killed, and I believe we should not have got the one we got either, had it not been Shot at by some other travellers whose camp it ran passed in the chase.


The meat was good although a little tough, and course. It would have been better had it been a cow. Hundreds of Buffaloe were seen to day, but they are not easily killed. Some that I were after ran up to our train on the road and some of the brethren and Sisters began to stop and turn them which made them run about at a wild rate, and made Some of the oxen take fright and run away with the wagon breaking the waggon tongue &c. All is pleasant in the camp to night <this evening> the evening is fine. Bro. Meiklejohn is playing merrily on the fiddle and the children with old Bro [William] Fenn in the midst of them are dancing to the music in the carell.


Bro. Andrus’s camp is about a mile behind us. He thinks it will be better, after all, for him to keep behind us all the way. that will be the easiest I dare-say.


Thursday. 30th.

We left about 7 A.M., and travelled until about half past ten A.M. when we camped for the day by the river Side, for the purpose of mending waggons &c, and to give the catle a rest.


Bro Andrus’s train past us about midday.


Friday 31st.

We were roused about daybreak and left about 7 A.M. and travelled until about 5 P.M. when we camped for the night, having travelled today about 23 miles. Bro [John] Marrett and his teamster fell out and parted to day, and they were agreed and together again in the evening. They cannot do well without being together; for Marrett wants a teamster and “Tom,” his teamster wants his “grub,” and that he can not have Save of Marrett.


“A life on the Desert plains,” we used to Sing, now we have it.


Saturday [Sept], 1st

We left this morning by about 8 o’clock and travelled about 18 miles and camped by the side of the river. The day was excep[t]ionly hot. I gave out the provisions to the three companies.


Sunday, 2nd.

We started about 8 o’clock A.M. and travelled about 18 or 20 miles and camped at Some distance from the river about 4 P.M. We had to Burn buffaloe chipps as there was no wood. Very hot to day.


We passed Andrus’s camp today. They were keeping Sunday and would not travel to day.


Monday. 3rd

We left about half past 7 A.M. and travelled about 18 miles and after crossing the “South Fork of the Platte.” we camped on the other side. Buffaloe chipps again. No wood. Two yokes of teams were engaged to each waggon in crossing the river.


In crossing Bro. Hanson’s waggon tongue was broken. Andrus’s company did not reach <Fork of the> river last night as they expected and said. We reached about half passed 2 P.M. I was on the first watch last night


Tuesday, 4th.

Considerable rain fell last night which has bettered the Sandy and gravely roads. We left about 8 A.M. ascended a bluff about 2 miles then travelled about 13 miles then came to “Ash Hollow,” descending which we had to come down some very Steep places, one in particular, where we had to “lock” both wheels. All got down this last mentioned place without any accident occuring, but a little before at a little Steep a Bro. [James] Squires had his waggon upset and a wheel Smashed by drawing his oxen to the Side over a bank. The goods of the upset waggon were put into other waggons, and the other <disabled> waggon was dragged along on three wheels through “Ash Hollow” (3 miles) to the “North Platte” where we camped for the night Having travelled 18 miles[.] Andrus’s camp came in about 8 P.M.


Wednesday. 5th

The mending of the waggon that was broken yesterday prevented our starting before ten o’ clock A.M. The road being of very heavy Sand we had twice to join team to team, once for about the distance of 2 miles, which made it about 8 P.M. before the last team got in. Several of us made the mistake, in the dark, of going down to Andrus’s Camp instead of our own which was a little farther on. We camped by the side of the Platte


A battle bet[w]eet general Harnney’s Soldiers and the Sioux Indians took place yesterday near the place of our <present> encampment on the opposite side of the river, when 123 Indians were killed, and 100 taken prisoners. The bodies of the dead indians were gathered in a heap and burned up Save one or two of the their chiefs the bodies of whom were buried with Some little respect to honour. Three Soldiers were killed in the battle. This band of Sioux Indians are said to be the Same that robbed the mail &c last year. And after the battle Several papers belonging to government taken out of the mail were found in their possession together with a great deal of Stolen and other property. The Indians sent in the “Flag of Truce,” but Capt <Gen.> Harney did not regard it. I am told that he is instructed to make no treaty with them. A Squa[w] was found dead on the field with her infant Sucking at her breast. One Indian (he must have been a “Brave”) after having received 6 balls in his body was requested to yield when he boldly replied – “No, while I have an arrow to Shoot I will Shoot.” Six of the Soldiers dispatched him there and then. It is the prevailing opinion in our camp, that providence detained us at “Big Blue” until the Soldiers would go before to clear the way.


The wicked Shall Play the wicked.”


Thursday, 6th

We left about 8 A.M. and travelled all day making only 10 miles, the >roads< were so heavy. We camped a-head of Andrus.


Friday, 7th

We left about 15 min. past 8 A.M. and camped by 5 P.M. after having travelled 20 miles. The roads were not so heavy to day.


Saturday, 8th

We left about 20 min to 8 A.M. and travelled about 20 miles then camped about 8 miles from “Chimney Rock.” No sooner had we camped than a great thunder Storm came which tumbled down tents, put out the fires, &c. It also prevented the distribution of provisions to the P.E.F. folks[.] I bought a pair of glass goggles from a Sister for fifty cents.


Sunday 9th.

We left this morning about 15 min to 9 A.M. And travelled to “Chiminey Rock,” (8 miles), then camped for the day by the side of the river.


The day is pretty hot. I gave out a ration of Baccon this morning to the Captains. A meeting was held in the evening.


Monday, 10th.

We left about 7 A.M. and travelled 20 miles and camped for the night in “Scots Bluffs” where there was but little feed and no water. “Scotts Bluffs” are very grand and wild. Some of them are round and isolated. It required Steady driving and Strong pulling to get through them. We past the old “Roubodaux [Robidoux] Fort,” which is ten miles from “Chimney Rock.”


Tuesday 11th

We got up before it was light this morning and after a good deal of searching found out and yoked up our cattle; and Set out over “Scot[t]s Bluffs” by half past 4 A.M. After driving about 4 miles we camped by the side of the Platte where we unyoked and watered our cattle and let them feed until 15 min past 9 A.M. when we got them into the carrel and yoked them up again. While the cattle were feeding, we took care to do likewise. We had our breakfast here. We travelled until we had made about 15 miles after, and camped about 4 P.M. by the river side[.] Today the State of the weather Suggested the propriety of the drivers keeping on their coats, and the women their Shawls. It was quite cold.


Wednesday, 12th.

We left by 8 A.M. The morning part was quite cold. The middle of the day was a little wat warmer but in the evening it was very cold again. Eighteen of us were appointed after camping at “[blank space] Point,” to go across the river to herd and guard the Cattle, as there was no good feed for them on the Camp, or South Side thereof. We had to [walk] in the river above the knee in water in crossing which was a cold enough job. When we got to the other Side we made a great fire by which we remained all night and the cattle roam at large among good feed. We travelled about 20 miles. We are now 18 miles from “Fort Larimie [Laramie].”


We had the tongue of the baggage waggon broken today. The roads were Sandy at several places.


Thursday, 13th

We came across the river this morning by 5 o’ clock. The morning was foggy but by about 8 A.M. the Sun Shone out and the day was quite warm. There is a Store and trading points here, at which Several of the white men, connected with the Store have Indian women for their wives and live in “wigwams.” Several of the brethren traded here for cattle both buying and selling and a cow being killed at the store this morning[.] I and Several other bought of it at 10 cents per pound. I bought 4 and ½ pounds of it, and a pound of Coffee <Beans> at 40 cent per pound. 


The mending of the waggon tongue, the trading &c. detained us in leaving this place before half past 3 P.M. just as we were going to Start Andrus’s company came up and went 3 miles farther. we went 4 miles and camped by the side of the river. I bought a pair of OX shoes at the store with 78 nails for $1.75. and got one shoe to boot.


I wrote a letter to my Bro in-law, PP. We travelled about 4 miles and camped by the Side of the river


Friday, 14th

We left about 8 A.M. and after travelling about 14 miles camped by the river Side close by “Fort Laramie.”


I sent my letter to my Bro-in-law by the “Salt Lake Mail” which we met a few miles before reaching the Fort. Dr. Bernhisel was in the mail van on his way to congress as delagate for Utah!


I gave out Baccon to the Captains of tens this evening[.] I changed my leaders to day.


Saturday, 15th

Brother John Parkin and I went up to the Fort to purchase a few articles. The Store at the Fort is well filled but as may be expected, things Sold there are very dear. For instance Whiskey is sold at 4 dollars per gallon. Sugar 40 cents per pound. tea 2 dollars per pound. dried apples & peaches 20 cents per pound.


I bought 75 cents worth of whiskey and P. Lynch of Andrus’s Comp. promised to let me have 1 lb of tea, 6 pounds of Sugar, 12 pounds of baccon, and some baccon fat with a good whip for which I gave him $2.50.


Just as Bro. Parkin and myself were getting up to the Fort the Soldiers were turning out in pursuit of Some Indians who had a few minutes before driven away from the Fort itself 150 head of cattle, horses and mules. The Indians had sent word to the Fort a few days before that they were coming down Some of these days to take the fort altogether


We Started from here at 9 A.M. and we travelled about 12 or 14 miles then camped by the river side. I was on the first watch tonight[.] Very poor feed for the Cattle. Goringe’s [William Osborne Gorringe] waggon was upset and the axletree broken, about 1 mile from the camp, it lay there all night.


Sunday. 16th

We remained at camp all day[.] Two axletrees were put in 2 waggons. About 5 P M we set out and travelled about 4 miles then camped in the dark. A great fire was made in the carrell, round which we met in the capacity of a preaching meeting.


The subject of lightening our loads was the chief topic, and in order to do this, all the tent poles were to be thrown away, and the tents made so as to go round the lower part of the waggons and the people to sleep under and by the side of the waggons. Besides this all useless boxes and other <useless> articles were to be dispensed with at once. Andrus’s were Simillarly taught today. No water where we camped


Monday 17th

We left about 7 A.M. and travelled over a very hilly and rough road for about 15 miles then camped by the Side of the river. just as we were drawing up to the carrel a great hail and rain Storm overtook  us which wet us to the skin in one minutes time. It continued to rain the most of the night. Bro. Hanson’s waggon tongue was broken to-day, and I had a bout of the Sick-headache[.] We had an Camped by the side of the river – good feed


Tuesday. 18th

Hanson’s waggon tongue mending hindered us from Starting this morning before ten o’ clock. We had a good road to-day and we travelled about <20> miles, and camped by the Side of the river. Good feed for the cattle.


Mr. Marretts” [John Marett] horse died in the Platte this morning rather than he wanted cross it, and Bro. Marrett has to walk like the rest of us poor folks; also an ox gave up travelling today, and was shot and skinned. The meat was condemned. My leg was painful today having strained the leaders in screwing up my axletree under the waggon. I was on the 2nd watch to night and a cold one it was.


Wednesday. 19th.

We left this morning about 10 o’clock. We had a thunder Storm about midday, and about the Same time a brother shot a deer. About 2 o’clock we crossed the river Platte, and keeping it on our left we travelled over bluffs and through Hollows, until after Sunset when we camped by the side of the river


We came up to “Hooper’s & Williams’s” train at the place where we camped[.] The weather was mild to-day and in the evening.


Andrus’s camp came up to ours at the fording of the river, but did not come so far on as us.


Thursday, 20th

We left this morning about 9 A.M. and after travelling about 15 miles we camped by the Side of the river. Andrus’s camp and Hoopers & Wms & co’s camped a few miles behind us. We camped about 3 P.M. The weather is fine


Friday. 21st

We left about 9 A.M. We shot and [at] many Dear [deer] this morning but killed none.


We travelled about 18 miles to-day and camped by the side of the river about 3 P.M. I gave Baccon to the Captains this evening[.] Fine weather.



Saturday. 22nd.

We left “Box Elder Creek” at 25 min past 8 A.M. and travelled 3 miles or so beyond Deer Creek and camped for the night, having travelled about 15 miles to-day. We camped about 3 P.M.


Some dry grass on the other side of the river for the cattle. Fine weather. Andrus camped 2 miles behind us until Monday morning. We passed a Buffaloes Skull on the road side a little beyond “Deer Creek” on which was written the information, that Ballantine’s Company, also Erastus Snow, had passed there on the 23rd August; — about one month before us. Henry Liversidge and I commenced to put on an axle tree on our waggon, as our old one that was broken by St George was beginning to give way. We worked at it until 9 P.M. and left it unfinished.


Sunday, 23rd.

Bro. Liversidge and I recommenced our axletree and <about> 5 A.M. and finished it about 15 min past 8 A.M. We left this place about half past 8 A.M. but we did not go far until the train was stopped. until Bro. Sutherland would come up from Andrus’s camp where he had gone this morning. While we were waiting upon him Several Indians came up to us belonging to the “Crow” tribe [.] they were very friendly and begged bread. They were on the road all the way we came. Sutherland did not come at 11 A.M. when we recommenced our journey and travelled about 12 miles, then camped by the side of the river about 3 P.M. We have fine weather. When looking for wood for the fire at the camping place I found at the bottom of a tree a fine little pocket pistol, on which was Stamped, “Allen’s Patent.”  It looked as though it had lain for a good while but the lock was good, and only the barrel was rusted. I refused a Dollar for it that a Bro. offered me when I found it.


We had a meeting this evening about 7 o’clock by the side of a big fire. Last night I bought 21 pounds of flour of H. Liversidge at 10 cents per lb. last night.


Monday 24th.

We left about half past 8 A.M., and travelled about 15 miles and after crossing the Platte for the last time we camped it being after Sundown. The Indians were with us here begging and trading for Buffaloe robes Moshikins [Moccasins], &c. I was on the first guard.


Tuesday, 25th.

We left about half past 8 A.M. and after travelling 10 miles over a bad road we camped at 2 P.M. by the side of the Platte, and that for the last time we should camp beside it on this journey. I had the Sick-headache to day. Hooper and Wms’s camp, came up to us about 8 P.M. and camped by the side of us,


A deal of trading done with the Indians this morning


Wednesday, 26th.

We left about 15 min to 9 A.M. and bidding adiue [adieu] to the Platte, we travelled over a road which was good for Some of the way, and bad the rest of the way for 21¼ miles. Coming up a Steep place at “Willow Springs,” Bro.[James] Shanks’s waggon, being loosed from the oxen, ran back down the hill, and tumbling over broke a wheel into pieces, and there it had to lie all night. We travelled by moon light, and camped about 7 P.M. Grass and good water, but nothing but sage wood to burn.


Thursday, 27th.

We did not start to day until nearly 4 P.M. on account of the wheel mending that was broken last night. We travelled 12 miles to “Greasewood Creek bottoms,” where we found good feed and plenty of good water. We did not camp until half past 8 P.M. Andrus’s train passed us about midday, so did Hoopers and Wms’s, but they camping at the head of littleGreasewood  Creek.” we passed and left them 6 miles behind us.


A party of Californaians with 31 Mormons most of whom were on missions passed us to day. 6 of the Missionaries were for the States <England> and the rest for the States. Samuel Nicol, late of Stoke Branch, Worcestershire Conference, was among the lot, driving a Californaian’s team. He will go to the States, and perhaps to England. He does not like to live in Salt Lake.


Friday. 28th.

This is a fine morning although a little keen, and all day it remained so. Two of the bretheren who were sent out from the Valley to meat [meet] the companies of Emigrants with flour, came in to our camp this morning[.] They were camped about 4 miles ahead of us.


We passed a store at “Independence Rock” about midday.    


Here the whisky is sold at a Dollar per pint; Baccon, 40 cents per lb; Che[e]se, 50 cents per lb. Dried Buffaloe meat, 15 cents per lb. Tallow 25 cents per pound. &c. I bought 3 lbs of Buffaloe meat.


In attempting to go round “Independence Rock” a band of Indians came up and stoped our train until Capt Harper came up from the rear and ordered the train to be moved on, and it was so. had we been a small band then a fight would have taken place, but they saw we were too many for them and they stood to the one side. They were gaudily dressed and mounted on mules &c. They were Souix [Sioux] I Suppose. They rode along with us until we had passed the fort at “Devils Gate.” 2 or 3 miles past which we camped for the night half an hour after Sun down.


Andrus’s camp, that travelled close behind us all day camped about a mile and a half behind us, by the side of the “Sweet Water [Sweetwater].”


thursday Saturday. 29th

It was quite frosty and cold last night and today this morning.


An ox died in the herd last night. It worked well yesterday. I gave out a ½ ration of Baccon this morning. We decamped by 12 noon and after travelling about 10 miles we camped for the night about 4 P.M. at a place by the “Sweet water,” about 12 miles on this side of “Devils Gate”                                                                                                                                                                                                                        


Sunday, 30th.

Another ox died in the herd last night. One of the waggons that came out from the valley to meet the company with flour is taking on luggage for the brethren for $5 per 100 lbs.


Andrus camped last night a mile or 2 miles ahead of us.


We travelled about 6 miles and camped by the side of the water. Andrus was before us, and the merchant train passed us in the evening.


Monday, [Oct.] 1st

We only went 6 miles to day then camped. We are putting off the time to until Aldred’s [Allred] company comes up in order to get some ox shoes and nails off him. The roads are heavy being Sandy and at some places Stony. The weather is cold mornings and evenings hot in the day time.


Tuesday. 2nd.

We travelled about 11 miles to day then camped by the Sweet water. I had sick headache today. When walking behind the train, I found a quarter of a Dollar, that pays for the rabit I bought of Jeremy yesterday[.] My wife is better today than what she has been for a few days past. Sister [Ann Pilley] Brewerton has been bad in her body for a few days back, but she has been wores [worse] and longer bad in her mind.


Wednesday, 3rd.

Fine weather. We left about 8 A.M. and after travelling about 9 miles we camped for the night. one of the men that went back to Aldred’s for ox shoes &c yesterday is amissing. I was on the first watch to night.


Thursday, 4th.

Snow began to fall about 12 o’ clock last night, and this morning it was about 2 inches deep on the ground. We left this morning by 8 o’ clock, and travelled about 15 miles then camped by the Side of “Sweet water,” we got in about 3 P.M. Hooper’s train left as we camped, and about 2 hours after Aldred’s train came up and camped on the opposite side of the river to us. The man that was amissing got up to Hooper’s Camp this morning, with his face very much frost-bitten: He has been out two nights. Brother Harper and a Bro. Jones went in search of the missing man, Wrees Williams, this morning. It was very cold today, the Sh Sun being obscured nearly all the day by clouds. It did not snow but little, however.


Friday, 5th.

Early last night the Snow began to drift, and this morning it was 3 inches deep and <it> was freezing hard. We had to go 3 miles to gather in the cattle. Three of the P.E.F. cattle were found dead. We left a little after 10 A.M. and after travelling about 10 miles a waggon tongue was broken and we camped for the night about 2 P.M. plenty of willows, Sage wood, &c., for fuel.


The Sun broke out and gave us a little heat during the day, and melted the Snow considerably. I gave out another half rat[i]on of Baccon to the captains of companies.


Saturday 6th.

We Started about 9 A.M. and after crossing the “Devil’s Back bone,” and I should say his ribs also, We reached a camping place by the “Sweet Water,” about half past 7 P.M. having travelled 18 miles. No Snow fell last night nor today, but it kept freezing very hard; The Sun tempered the weather during the day, however, Aldred’s [Alred’s] camp did not move to day as the Cattle were very much worn out. Hooper’s train camped a little behind us.


Sunday 7th.

We did not travel any to day. 25 oxen were shod. 


A meeting was held in the evening before Sun down. The Brethren from the Valley Spoke to the Saints in an edifying manner.


I composed my “Tale Bearer.” this afternoon by the side of Sweet Water. The mail from the Valley to Fort Laramie passed us in the evening. Weather fine today but frosty.


Monday, 8th

We left about half past 8 A.M. and camped about 3 P.M. having travelled about 15 miles. We camped by Sweet water.


Tuesday, 9th.

We started by 9 A.M. and after travelling a short distance we went through the “South Pass” and after travelling about 10 miles we camped about 1 P.M. Then yoked up again about 3 P.M. and travelled until 10 P.M. then camped at a place where there was water and sage wood but no feed at all for the Cattle, so they were put in the Carell. Several of the oxen gave in by the way, being tired &c. We travelled according to some 23 miles, acording to others, 20, We travelled far enough for one day at any rate. The weather was beautiful[.] I guarded the Carell from half past 2 P A.M. till half past 3 A.M.


Wednesday 10th

We left aabout 7 A.M. before having breakfast, and without halting we travelled about 20 miles then camped at a place where there was Sage wood and water but very poor feed for the cattle.  This was a hurry day both for us and the cattle, as many did not get breakfast until 5 P.M. at which <as we> did not camp until half past 3 P.M. Bro. Micklejohn and I bought a hare between us for 50 cents of Jeremy. Several head of cattle were left behind to day – not being able to get along.


Thursday. 11th.

We left about 10 A.M. and travelled about 14 miles. We got to “Big Sandy” about an hour after Sundown where we camped. Some say there was pretty good feed for the cattle plenty of wood & water. Several head of cattle were left behind today again, and amongst those left were one of [George Walter] Bramwell’s, and one of Hanson’s. One of my tongue Cattle was so far gone that I could hardly get it to cross the river to feed; the rest are well, considering their hard work, and no food. two things that but ill agree both with man and beast.


Friday. 12th.

We remained at “Big Sandy” all day, in order to let the cattle feed and rest, but the feed was very scant indeed. Brother Bramwell went back a few miles and brought on his ox that was left behind yesterday, Bro. Hanson offered any man 50 cents who would go back and fetch up his ox that was left about 12 miles behind the camp[.] He got three <than> would go for $2.50c each, provided they did not get it, and 2 dollars each if they got it. They returned without it, but brought along one of the P.E.F. ones. Fine weather.


Saturday, 13th.

We left about 9 A.M. and travelled 12 miles to “Green River.” We got there about 4 P.M. and camped on the opposite side. The feed was not very plentiful. I had only 2 yoke of oxen an[d] one of my big ones, “Dick,” was well worn out. Although the road was very sandy and hilly, they got along tolerably well. At a store here, the whiskey is sold at $8 per gallon! coffee, 50 cents <per lb.> potatoes, 15 cent per lb (although several at first bought them at 6 cents per lb. I bought 4 pounds at 6 cents per pound) and the other few things they have on sale are correspondingly dear.


it is reported that Bro. Andrus’s camp passed over the river here on Friday morning, and that he had lost about 40 head of Cattle from the time he left “Devil’s Gate,” and that he had lost one woman, she having strayed away and could not be found. We have lost about 12 head of cattle since leaving “Devil’s Gate.”


Sunday, 14th                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

We remained at this place all day to feed and rest the cattle.  Fine weather, uncommonly fine, they say.


We have three Soldiers in our camp who deserted at “Fort Laramie.” They are going to the Valley. A testimony meeting was held in the Carrel about 3 P.M. at which it was agreed that A testimonial be got up in favour of Bro Harper as Superintendent of our Company. Five of a Committee were appointed to draw up the testimonial. I opened and closed the meeting with Prayer. An ox was killed at the store and many of the saints bought of it. I bought 7 lbs at ten cents per pound.


Monday. 15th.

Before starting 7 of the teamsters belonging to Hooper’s train came into our camp. They had fallen out with Hooper. Some oxen were shod in the morning before Starting, and one immediately after Starting. Which detained us considerably. We travelled 17 miles and camped at a creek about 8 o’ clock P.M.


Tuesday. 16th                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

We left this place about 9 A.M. and travelled about 4½ miles then camped until half past 5 P.M.  and then we started for ten miles farther and camped at a creek about 11 P.M.  Several head of cattle were left behind a few miles before reaching the camping ground, and the train was very much hindered on its progress on acccount of so many oxen failing or “giving out.” 


In the morning Bro Graves brought <me> my Box of Books that he was carrying for me. Harper had got to know, (and I am pretty sure through George Bramwell; for he has made himself notoarous for his talebearing to Harper) that he had a box of mine. Harper raised a bother over it with Graves and noted it down for me to be charged for the carriage of it. I put <it> in my own waggon. The box was put down by guess at 50 lb. price $5.


Wednesday 17th.

We left today for “fort Bridger” but before we had reached any more than 12 miles we had to camp it being dusk and many of the oxen “giving out.” The weather was fine.


Thursday 18th

To day we left about 9 A.M. and after travelling about 9 miles, we reached “Fort Bridger” now a Mormon Settlement, or trading Post.


We reached Fort Bridger about 2 P.M. There was some prime meat to be sold at the store and a great rush was made for it by the saints


Meat sold for 12 cents per lb; flour at 8 cents per lb. and Potatoes brought in by one Bro. Bullock          from “Fort Supply” (12 miles off) sold at 3 cents per lb.; Coffee 50 c per lb; for which cash or an exchange of goods would bring. I sold a small knife worth 6d [pennies] in England and I got 40 cents for it and a pair of [s]cissors worth in England 8d, I got 50 cents for. I sold better than 10 lbs of shot for sister Brewerton, also a pair of her boots for a $1, and 2 pair of unbleached cotton Stockings for $1= in all $5. I bought for her 5½ lbs of meat and a lb of Suet (Suet 20 c)  86 c, and 2 lbs of Sugar at 45 c a lb, 90 c; I sold her 25 c worth of Potatoes and bought 15 lbs of flour for her at 8 c per lb. $1.20 c. in all = $3.21. Balance of the $5, = $1.79 c, which she loaned me the use of to purchase some flour myself; and rued that she had done so immediately after doing it.


I saw and spoke to John Smith, the Patriarch, today; he said 25 of them as a “Life guard,” had been sent out from the Valley to protect the Immigration. I bought 22½ lbs of flour, $1.80, 40 lbs of Potatoes $1.00. and 5¼  lbs of meat 50; 2 lbs of suet 20c; in all $3, 50c.


Friday, 19th

We left “Fort Bridger” about 1 P.M.  and after travelling 10 miles we camped at the bottom of a big mountain about dusk. Bro. Marrett could not come on with the camp as the yoke of oxen he purchased at “Green River,” was amissing and could not be found. Bro. Hanson staid behind to purchase some cattle.


It was very cold on the mountains to day.


Saturday. 20th.

We left about 11 A.M. and travelled over a very mountainous tracks for 10 miles then camped at a place which was very cold, being very high and there was but little water[.] We camped about 6 P.M.


Joe, our man; went today and told Bro. Harper and others that we did not give him enough to eat; so we now put him on P.E.F. allowance which will be about the one half of what he has hitherto had from us. He is greedy and lying.


Sunday, 21st

We left about 11 A.M. and after travelling about 11 miles we camped at “Bear River” about 6 P.M. about 4 P.M. Hanson’s waggon tumbled over a bank and broke the body of it considerably, and coming down the last hill for the night it was driven down without locking it made a second tumble and broke the carriage very much[.] One of Hoopers late drivers was driving it. Hanson was in a sad way over the mishap when he came up in the evening with Marretts people from Fort Bridger. There Hanson bought a yoke of oxen for 75 Dol. and Bro. Marrett had found his[.] It was very dusty but not so cold today. Good feed, wood & water.


Monday, 22nd.

We left about half past 1 P.M. and travelled about 11 miles and camped where there was the best feed we had had for some time past. Jacob Gates and a few others with a few yoke of cattle passed us at “Bear River” on their way to help Aldred’s train. I had our large ox in the “loose herd” it being weakly, and just as we were about to camp Some of the herd boys drove it into a mire and we had to pull it out by the horns and the neck with ropes, and it was so weak that it could not get up on its legs so we gave it a drink of gruel and cayenne, and left it for the night.


Tuesday, 23rd.

This morning “Dick,” our ox, could not get up, but he was very lively, So we gave him a feed of flour and afterwards Bunch Grass, and left him to his fate. Jacob Gates promised to Bring along all the cattle that we might be forced to leave behind, that is, if he found them able to come along. George Bramwell left one ox behind at this place, and some of the P.E.F. ones were left here also. Plenty of wood and water. We travelled about 11 miles today.


Wednesday, 24th.

We left about 9 A.M. and after travelling about 16 miles we camped at place <“Weber River.”> where there was plenty of wood and water and tolerable feed.


Thursday, 25th.

We left about 11 A.M. and crossed the “Weber,” and after travelling about one mile we met William and Charles Brewerton with two yoke of oxen which they hitched on to ours, This was timely help for on leaving Weber the roads were bad. We travelled only about 9 miles to day, and camped in a Kanyon where there was but little feed and water.


Friday, 26th.

We left the camp this morning about 9 A.M. and travelled about 11 miles then fed our oxen until the camp came up about 5 PM[.]  The camp only went only a short distance from where we had camped and camped and we camped with them.


Saturday, 27th.

We left before the camp this morning at half past 7 and travelled about 15 miles and camped at the bottom of the “Little Mountain,” having come over the “Big Mountain,” during the day[.] we camped about half past 3 P.M. plenty of water and feed and water wood was scarce.


Sunday, 28th

We left about 9 A.M. and after spending an hour going up the “Little Mountain.” We descended in to “Immigration Kanyon [Emigration Canyon],” which is not a very good Kanyon for the Immigration it being <a> very rough road.


When clear of the Kanyon, we saw part of the city and a great part of the Lake and on going a little farther on over a “Bench,” the whole long-looked for City lay open to our view, and I felt in my heart to Say [“]God bless it.” We entered the city about half past 3 P.M. and past the “Tabernacle,” just as it was dismissing, which gave me the chance of being exhibited in my dirty and ragged condition to my some of my old acquaintainces that met me on the street and had a good laugh at my expense.