Transcript for Oveson, Lars Peter, Autobiography, 1941, 2-3

In the spring of 1863, Father [Jens Andreas Oveson] sold his home, and make preparation to immigrate to Utah. In the early part of April, we bade farwell to dear old Denmark, the land of our birth, and after a stormy voyage over the North Sea, landed in Grimsby England, and by rail from there to Liverpool, where we went on board the old sailing vessel, B. S. Kimble, together with 654 Saints from Scandanavian and Great Britain.

After a voyage of nearly six weeks, we landed in New York on the 15th of June, all well. We only had three deaths on the voyage, which was considered very fortunate, and we were all glad to set foot on land again. We left New York the same evening, by rail, for St. Joseph, Missouri, where we was crowded onto a river flat boat, without any railing around the sides. The engine was fired with wood, and one night they laid to, to take on wood. We were aroused from our sleep, to clear the way, for the sailors to carry on the wood. A boy about twelve got up, I suppose half asleep, and walked right into the river and was lost. The current was so swift that he was swept away in an instant and every effort made to find him was without avail. This was on the Missouri river, From St. Joseph to Florence, Nebraska, here we were met by teams, that had been sent from Utah, for over a thousand miles, to bring the Saints to Utah. That year (1863) there was sent from Utah after immigrants, 384 wagons, 488 men, 3,604 oxen, bringing 235,969 pounds of flour. At Florence we stopped a couple of weeks to clean up and rest for the long overland journey ahead.

On the 6th of July, we started from Florence, with Captain John F. Sanders train of about 50 wagons. Our teamsters name was Louris Jacobson, of Moroni, his home was later in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He was a very kind man, and as my mother [Kirsten Marie Pedersen Oveson] was not very strong and could not walk much, he was always willing for her to ride. You can imagine that it was pretty crowded, as there was three families in our wagon. as I now remember there were fifteen persons, besides the teamsters, with our belongings. To me this was a pleasure trip. We hadn't been many days on the road before I had learned the language that it took to drive oxen. In two or three weeks, I was ready for graduation as a full fledged Bullwhacker.

After a long and wearisome journey, we arrived in Salt Lake City on the 5th of Sept. After a couple of days rest, we continued our journey to Ephraim, Sanpete County, where we made our home, and where I spent the rest of my boyhood days.