Transcript for "Ward Eaton Pack, reminiscences", DUP Pioneer History Collection.

In spring of 1862, Bishop Stoker of Bountiful, called on me to go to the Missouri River to assist the emigration from the old countries to come to Utah. I traveled in the Horton [D.] Hates [Haight] company. We were two days crossing the Weber River and had to build a bridge across Echo Creek. I was wet to my waist for 1½ days. The next we were bothered in crossing Hams Fork, here I was wet to my waist 11 days in succession. On arriving at Green River we found the banks overflowed, in trying to swim the cattle, I was one hour and a half in the water. My flesh was perfectly numb, my knees were lame and stiff for weeks and months in consequence. We arrived at Florence on the 28th of July where the emigrants had been waiting our arrival some six weeks. I crossed the Missouri river and went to Uncle Rufus Pack's, 30 miles from Florence. Uncle and his family seemed very glad to see me. Some of his family are Josephites. He does not seem settled in mind, and hardly knows what to be. . . . Dan Harrington and I had quite a discussion on religion, he being a Josephite. Uncle Rufus said, “Dan thought himself very smart but he is a fool.” Cousin Robert Coster is also a Josephite and forsaken the true way.

Returned to Florence and found that Capt. Height has the emigrants situated in the wagons. There is from 15 to 17 souls to the wagon. Hate told me he wanted me to be his assistant in going to the valley, so I took the train and started on the 10th of August, while brother Height remained behind. All the old women and men in camp were after me with their sore heels and different complaints for excuses to get a ride, but this I could not grant them for the wagons were full to the bows. In order to avoid their importunities, I used frequently to go among the cattle in the corral, where they were afraid to come. Capt. Height finally came up to us, so my responsibilities were soon considerably lightened. We traveled on our journey slowly, burying here and there an individual who had died of disease common to travelers on the plains. At Ash Hollow on the Platte river we encountered a thunder storm, immediately after which, we had four oxen die, which proved to be a great loss. We traveled slowly on until we came to South Pass over the Wind River range of mountains where we had a severe snow storm. We arrived safely in Salt Lake City on the 19th of October. I met my wife, Laura and family at my home in Davis County, all well and very glad to see me. I was five months absent from home.