Transcript for Peart, Jane McPhail, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 23:44-45

8. At what place did you join the company or wagon train with which you came to Utah?
8. We started with handcarts from Florence, Nebraska.

9. When did it leave for Utah?
9. August 25, 1856.

10. When did you arrive there?
10. We were caught in a snow storm on Greeswood [Greasewood] Creek near Sweetwater. Some had their hands and feet frozen. Others died of hunger and being tired out. Pres. Brigham Young then learning of the condition of the company sent teams from Salt Lake City loaded with provisions to provide for their relief.

My father, being so sick when the relief teams met them that he could not walk, was taken in a wagon while my mother walked behind. Mother said that one morning she saw nine men put in one grave with only sheets wrapped around them. When they arrived at the crossing of Bear River later known as Myers Crossing my father died and was buried on the hill east of the river. When we reached Salt Lake City three feet of snow covered Main Street. My mother then being left a widow with a fifteen year old daughter of Archabald [Archibald] McPhails by his former wife, named Henr[i]etta, who was taken by the family of Israel Ivans to live with them, while my mother was left with herself and me to provide for, was taken in and cared for until she could find work.13. Who was the leader of your company or train?
13. Edward Martin was the Captain. [Editor's note: This family was actually in the 1856 James G. Willie company]

22. Tell about coming to your state in a covered wagon.
22. My mother related to me a very touching story about my father's death. She was sitting in the wagon in the night with her sick husband's head on her lap watching him as she knew he could not live. Having a small piece of tallow candle, she prayed that the candle might last until her husband should pass away; her prayer was answered for the light of the candle and the life of her husband went out at the same time.

8. When did you leave for Utah?
8. Left Florence, Nebraska Aug. 25, by hand-carts.