Transcript for Reddick N. Allred journal, 1854 August-1856 November

Friday 27th.—We made preperations to start on our journey next day to join the company at San Juan as they were there awaiting us. The Brethren got some of the animals shod and found two that had been lost. I rode down with Sister Wheeler to Bros. Rizars, & Cheeny's on a short visit and got some cloathing that Sister R.—had washed. I stoped at Bro. Nails & was up till one oclock at night, as the friends had collected in for a social dance before our departure.

Saturday April 28th 1855. Bro. Nail let Bro. [Nathan] Tanner have a span of Mules for his young horse and an older horse for his coalt. We started in the afternoon & went to within 2 miles of the [Purblo] Pueblo, and camped on the creek running thro. the Valley. I rode on horseback & led two animals which was very tiresome.

Sunday 29th.—We went to San Juan a distance of 50 miles over good road. I rode most of the day in Bro. [Chauncy Walker] West's carrage which rested me much. We found the company in camp, and organised as follows W[illia]m. McBride Capt.[,] Henry]. W[illiam]. Bigler Seargent of guard & father [Bechias] Dustin Chaplin.

Monday 30th.—Elder Pratt called togeather and addressed the camp upon the order of traveling &c after which the five last waggeons were added makeing 13 and I was apointed capt of ten. We then set out on our journey togeather, passed over a small Mountain into the Salenas Valley and camped near the Tevedah Rancho, a distance of about 16 miles.

Tuesday May 1st 1855. We went up the Valley 25 miles & crossed the S. River, then 7 miles to Dry creek & camped. The fead was poor as there was a great drouth in the Valley.

Wednesday 2nd.—We crossed some very bad gultches up the Valley about 20 miles then turned up a cannion about 5 & camped—poor water.

Thursday May 3rd 1855. Bro. Tanners horse got loose in the night & left the camp so he followed him about 15 miles back the road before he found him and as he lingered H[arley]. Swartout & I went back several miles after the camp had started and met him—this gave me a hard ride before we overtook the train which had crossed the San Antonio M[ountain].—We then passed down the San Antonio R[iver].—a few miles & camped

Friday 4th We went about 20 miles & left the River—passed over to the Ohitus 2 miles & camped.

Saturday 5th.—We crossed the River & over the ridge about 6 miles to the San Magill Mission & River—went up the River about 16 miles & camped on a butiful grass bottom.

Sunday 6th.—We layby & held meeting in the fore & afternoon, when the sacrament was administered and the Brethren spoke as follows, father Dustin[,] C. W. West, myself, N. Tanner , McBride, & Bigler.

Monday 7th.—We Kept up the River & crossed near the Mountain passed some Ranches—the San Margarita, over the Mountain—down a bad sideling road 3 miles & camped among the wild Oats.

Tuesday 8th.—The road continued very bad to within 2 miles of the Mission of San Louis Obispo, pass through & camped near the sea shore, make only about 15 miles. Capt. McBride's waggeon turned over.

Wednesday May 9th 1855. We traveled on the beach about 8 miles, then turned over 2 miles of sand riges into a valley & up to the foot of the Mountain, at the pass about 20 miles & camped at a small spring. There was no road up this Valley & we went to a pass on the right & then turned back which brought us out of our way some five or six miles. A Spanyard [Spaniard] set us right. In the evening Bro. Tanner told me that Bro West & him had business in San Bernardino to fit up teams & take goods thro. for Bro. Thorp, and must leave the train & go ahead. I told him not to leave without consent from the Capt. which was asked for and granted.

Thursday 10th. Bros. West, Tanner, & Smith left with 5 waggeons, and James [B.] Cole [Call], James R. and myself being concerned left with them. We passed into another Valley where we took up an impassable cannion by the direction of a Spanyard, which hindered us—we then took up the Valley in the main road passed a rancho—over a very bad pass into the San Junes Valley & camped near the Santanes [Santa Anna?] Mission & River. I told them that I did not wish to direct the camp while we were separated because they knew their business and the gate they wished to travel. Bro. Tanner said he would not go contrary to his mind if there were 50 captains so I only agreed to order the guard by request

Friday May 11th 1855. The rest of the company came up while we were at breakfast, having camped at the foot of the mountain without water. We left them and started early—went over the River—crossed two large ridges—down "Rocky Cannion" on to the sea shore and about 10 miles over deep gulches & camped at the mouth of a small creek.

Saturday 12th.—We passed thro. San Tabarbary [Santa Barbara] 2 miles & camped on the sea shore near Bro. Rowlens & others who had scattered themselves.

Sunday 13th.—We went a few miles & turned onto the beach which was sandy & nice for 14 miles—left the sea, passed the Mission of San Bernevantura then 9 miles to the Santa Clarra [Clara] & camped.

Monday 14th.—We passed thro. a Mountaineous country in the afternoon & camped in the hills.

Tuesday 15th.—We passed lout [out] of the hills—thro. Pisko’s Valley and within 10 miles of Los Angilos [Angeles].

Wednesday 16th We passesd Los Angilos [Angeles],—Monta, San Gaberal [Gabriel] River and camped at the "Mud springs" or "half way house". Bro. Smith stoped back 10 miles without water. Bro. James left him at noon on account of some words passed between them.

Thursday 17th.—We got to San Bernardino,— took dinner with Elder Lyman, and stoped overnight with Bro. Egbert. I felt rejoiced to see the saints.

Friday May 18th. 1855. I found a letter from my wife dated Salt Creek April 1st.—which left all well. She was anxeausly waiting my return. I visited some of my acquaintences. Sister Mary Rich had a pair of twins & the Boy was quiet sick. I stoped again at Bro. E's.

Saturday 19th.—I visited with my friends & by request stoped with Elder Rich'es folk as they were sick & he had not returned from the Salt Lake.

Sunday 20th.—We attended meeting & by the request of Elder Lyman I spoke a short time and he, then, delivered an interesting discourse.

Monday 21st.—Capt McBride arrived with the rest of the company.

Tuesday 22nd.—The Mail by D. Savage arrived from Salt Lake, leaving times favourable on the first inst. I read the "News" with interest the 12th "General Epistle" & sermonds being therein contained.

Wednesday 23rd.—Sister Rich'es child was quiet sick which ignaged [engaged] a part of my attention. Capt Hunt returned from the Legeslature.

Thursday 24 I rode out to see about the animels.

Friday 25 I visited with my friends.

Saturday 26th I visited with my friends.

Sunday 27th attended meeting when Elders McBride, West, Tanner, Hunt, & Lyman, severaly addressed the meeting. By the request of Bro. Lyman we had a singing at Bro. J. Thomas'es in the evening. I stoped with Bro. A. Lytle

Monday May 28th 1855. Bros. West & Tanner were attentively ingaged Purchesing waggeons & team to take the goods, so that I could scarsely get to spend a moment with them. I had asked them before to let me have a small share with them which was agreed to providing they rigged two teams, but I soon found that they wished to do it all rather than divide the profits.

Tuesday 29th.—I visited about as usuel.

Wednesday 30th I visited about as usuel.

Thursday 31st.—Sisters Mary, & Harriet Rich M. Perkins & I took a carriage ride over the Santa Ana River to the old San Bernardino Ranch—took dinner at Bro. J. Harres’es and visited Bro. Tinnys. The most of his family was sick.—being requested I administered to 3 of them and the little girl which was considered the most dangirous soon revived up & called for something to eat. As we returned the wind blew so hot that it almost scalded our faces & the Themometer stood 104 in the shade. This made it so hot that I almost felt like backing out from crossing the Desert untill fall. I stoped with Sister Jackson over <night as he was gone away>

Friday June 1st, 1855. The weather continued hot as usuel. I visited Bro. Lyman & he said it would be the best to wait untill Fall, on account of heat. Capt McBride started over to the Mohave with a part of the Company.

Saturday 2nd 1855. I stoped over night with Bro. Egbert.

Sunday 3rd.—Attended preaching by Elder Lyman. Visited Father Aldrige's in the afternoon—and stoped over night with Sisters Rich.

Monday 4th.—We expected to start but Bros. Tanner & West could not get ready.

Tuesday 5th. Elder Rich arrived from Salt Lake haveing left the Company on the Mohave. News were good from the Valley except that the Crops were being distroyed by grasshoppers—but in this the saints felt to acknowledge the providence of Him that provideth for His saints.

Wednesday 6th. June 1855. Bro. A. Lytle gave me a note of $25.00 against Messrs. West & Tanner[.] We started about 1 oclock P.M. with 3 waggeons[,] six mules each, and Bro. Wests carr[i]age which he set me to drive through—it made me a comfortable birth [berth] as I was not yet very ruged. I put my mule in their team. We met Elder Cannon as we left the City. Camped in the Cannion 12 miles out[.] N. Tanner & others went to help us over the pass.

Thursday, June 7th 1855. Went 15 miles, and camped at the foot of the Mountain 8 miles above the last water. The Mail came up in the night and camped with us.

Friday 8th.—Easmons animels and one of Wests Mules went back in the night and he & I started back by day-light—I followed them on horse back to the mouth of the cannion—caught them and returned while they had doubled up the Calhoon pass. Easman & I followed on & overtook them near the Mohave. It was very warm & we suffered much for water. We camped at the first crossing & repaired a wageon the next morning as the tire had run off the day before only 3 days out.

Saturday 9th.—We started after the waggeon was righted up and went 20 miles to the "big timber," where we found Capt. McBride all well, [Bro. Reuben] Gates and Sister Burton had got married. We met a company of 60 soldiers a part of Colonel Steptoe's Command—two or three girls from Salt Lake were with them and many others had gone the North rout with the main body.

Sunday 10th.—We lay by—set waggeon tire[.] held meeting &c In the afternoon it blew up a thunderstorm which greatly cooled the atmosphere.

Monday 11th 1855. We started early without breakfast and drove 15 miles to the next water (the water sinks & rises only in places) and camped.

Tuesday 12th.—We took breakfast early and 15 miles to the leaveing of the Mohave, and lay by until 1 oclock P.M. the next day.

Wednesday 13th.—We started at one oclock to cross the first part of the desert. Ibo About 4 o clock P.M. the Capt. halted to bate the teams, but Bros. West & Tanner drove on till near sun set and stoped—hitched up again at dark and drove on alone till daylight which brought us to the Bitter Springs. The rest came up about an hour after.

Thursday 14th.—We lay by all day and night, garding our animels on grass about one mile away and tied them in camp at night.

Friday 15th.—We started about 10 oclock A.M. and drove to the "salt springs" which took us till daylight steady driveing. The Capt. & others had feed and water and stoped to rest on the way. No grass was to be found on this drive. While we were bateing Capt. McBride came up, and stoped awhile. Bro. Wilkins youngest child died—on saturday 16th 1855.

Saturday 16th.—We drove to the Amagotia spring where we arrived about 2 oclock P.M. but the last waggeons did not get up till near night. I was so outdone with the loss of s<l>eep, heat &c that I fell asleep in the carriage as the train was moveing, and when I awoke the train had got near a mile ahead and the wild Mares were standing still in the road and the lines lay upon the tongue. I felt alarmed when I came to myself and saw the danger I was in.

Sunday, June 17th 1855. We went over to the Resting springs seven miles <&> up a heavy hill.

Monday 18th.—Recruted our anamels and interd Bro. Wilkins child.

Tuesday 19th.—We passed over a hard and stony hill where Bro. Tanners waggeon tire broke and the wheel smashed down: this hindered some time in tieing up, and soon after the Capt. turned his waggeon over all tending to belate us. It was long after dark when we arrived at the stump springs and no feed was found till daylight

Wednesday 20th.—We found a small patch of grass near the camp and bated our animels untill one oclock P.M. and then drove 15 miles—camped after dark without grass or water. Indian smokes were seen.

Thursday 21st.—At daylight we discovered some grass near by where we turned the animels about an hour—then drove to the Mountain spring—fed awhile and then drove to the cottonwood spring & camped.

Friday 22nd.—We drove to the Las Vagus [Vegas] Springs and camped. We met Bro. H. Rollens with a small party on their return to San Bernardino. On learning that Bro. Wm. Bringherst was 4 miles below with a company with the intention of locating there, Bro. West & I went down after dark and spent the night with them. James F. S. Allred and many others of my acquaintance were with Prest. B.

Saturday 23rd.—The camp moved down and camped with Bro. Bringherst's company and made arrangments to repair waggeons while the animels rested 2 or three day. I was verry lame with the rheumatism, which had been afflicting me many days, and was now much worse.

Sunday 24th.—My illness had so much increased that I could scarsely get up when down. About one oclock P.M. Prest. B. called the camp togeather for meeting—a number of us spoke followed by himself. A number of Indians had visited the camp and gave the greatest attention in time of [s..s.i.] being told by the interpreter that we had met to worship God.

Monday 25th.—The Brethren were buisly ingagued repairing waggeons—and Bro. Brinhersts company prepairing to plant gardens &c some of which were then comeing up and the prospects were flattering[.] I called upon some Elders to anoint and lay hands on me and was immediately relieved.

Tuesday June 26th 1855. The work was completed and we started about noon to cross the <55 mile> desert. We traviled all night and arrived at the Muddy River about noon the next day.

Wednesday 27th.—A number of Indians visited our camp many of which had been baptized and evinced very friendly feeling. We hired them to herd the animels—gave them a feast &c Bro. R. Allen Prest. of the Harmony Mission <and some of his men> was with us from the Las Vagus. and was our interpreters.

Thursday 28th.—I traded my mule to Bro. Thales Haskel and gave him fifteen dols. This I had to do to prevent his being killed or severly beaten by the teamster Ja[mes]s. Coal [Call] who kept a continuel fighting and swearing all the way untill my patience was worn out. We started on about noon and traveled till day-light next day which brought us to the Rio Virgen [Virgin].

Friday 29th.—We lay by untill sunset and then drove 9 miles and camped.

Saturday 30th.—We drove awhile in the morning and lay be in the heat of the day—then drove on in the afternoon and till midnight

Sunday July 1st 1855. Drove as before laying by in the middle of the day and held meeting when Elder T. D. Brown addressed the camp. Bro. Allen and others of his men started on ahead and left Bros. Brown and Haskel with us who acted as interpreters. We camped on Cottonwood fork.

Monday 2nd.—In camp till 5 P.M.—then went to the summit and camped at 2 A.M. without water. Some of the animels had become verry weak, and for some days past it had been difficult geting them into camp at night. While geting my mule shod in the morning James Coal beat it so severely that I took it from him to save its life and Bro. N[orman Guitteau]. Brimhall finished the job without any trouble.

Tuesday 3rd.—We drove down to the Santa Clerra [Clara] and camped till next morning. Several Indians came into camp evincing a verry friendly disposition and said they were mormons.

Wednesday 4th.—We drove to the last water and camped. for the night.

Thursday 5th We crossed over the zion Rim to Mountain Meadows and camped

Friday 6th.—We took the right hand, a cut off of 15 miles to Cedar City. Capt. McBride camped at the 15 mile creek and the "goods train" with Brimhall and the two interpreters went <to> the third water, a sulpher springs.

Saturday 7th.—We got to Cedar City about noon. I took dinner with Bishop Smith, and stoped over night with Sister Hulse.

Sunday July 8th.—We attended meeting and Prest Haight called upon Elder West who preached in the forenoon and Elder [William] Farrer & I in the afternoon. I felt quiet unwell from a severe cold. We started after dark and drove 12 miles to summit Creek.

Monday 9th. We went into Parowan City—I took dinner with Prest <J.C.L.> Smith & stoped with Sister Susan Robinson on overnight

Thursday 10th.—Bro. C. W. West and I took his carriage and started ahead for G.S.L. City. Camped alone on Beaver River

Wednesday 11th.—We travelled till dark and camped alone on Corn Creek.

Thursday 12th.—Started at daybrake[.] went to Fillmore—took breakfast & dinner, then went to the springs and took supper.—We then traveled till about mid-night & camped in round Valley above the road.

Friday 13th. We went to Salt Creek and stoped with Bro. Israel Hoyt—his Mother and all the friends were glad to see me returning home.

Saturday, 14th.—We went to Provo City where we found Prest. Brigham Young and suit attending a conference. It was with a hearty shake of the hand and a welcome return on their part, and a heart full of thankfulness on our part that we met. I stoped with Sisters Merriet & Ford.

Sunday 15th.—Elder H.C. Kimble [Kimball] said for us to stop with them for meeting, but Prest Young said for us to go on home & see our families, and tell them that he wished them much joy. We stoped at American and Dry Creek—changed team and drove to S.L. City. We I stoped with Bro. West, who found his family all well and glad to see him return to them in peace.

Monday July 16th 1855. Bro. Harvey took me in his carrage to Kaysville 20 miles north of the City where I found my family all well and happy to meet me in life and the degree of health I then enjoyed it being much repaired. My family was in a house belonging to Bro. Shem Pernel near by my father and others of the connection. My family <They> were quiet destitute having lost their crop the two successive seasons, as also many others throughout the Territory—espeshily the last season [blank space] End.