Transcript for Rhoda A. Marvin Fullmer reminiscences, 1885, 5

In the summer of 1850, means had been raised as a perpetual emigration fund to assist the poor. President Brigham Young had sent word that my husband's family was to be assisted by this fund to emigrate to Salt Lake Valley. I moved to Council Bluffs to make ready to cross the plains. On July 4, 1850 the company was organized for this journey, with Bishop Edward Hunter as president. This was the first company to receive assistance from the perpetual emigration fund. All of my husband's family, including myself went in this company. We all crossed over the river to the west side on July 4, and on the 5th we started on our long journey of over one thousand miles.

Our wagon was a wooden one having no iron about it but the king bolt. President Orson Hyde thought it not safe, but I told him the wagon would go to Salt Lake if he did not furnish me with a better one. At this answer he smiled and the wagon went to Salt Lake. I owned this wagon and one yoke of oxen. Bishop Hunter, who was purchasing agent for the P[erpetual]. E[migrating]. Fund, said he would take my oxen and allow me fifty-five dollars for them, and pay me in provisions for my family's use on the journey, which he did. He then let me have the use of these oxen, also another yoke and a yoke of cows for the journey.

On arriving at the crossing of the Platt[e] River, I had the pleasure and satisfaction of seeing my husband [David Fullmer], who had come from Salt Lake Valley with a small company of brothers to establish a Ferry at the Platt[e] crossing, which was to enable the emigrants to cross the river while the water was high early in the season, before the river lowered which would enable the gold seeking emigrants to ford the stream. In operating this ferry my husband earned sufficient means with which to procure supplies, teams and wagons to enable us to finish our journey with comfort and plenty.

We arrived in Salt Lake Valley on the 12th day of October, 1850 thus making the journey in 14 weeks from the Missouri River. My two boys, Junius and Octavius, drove the loose stock for the company across the plains. The greater part of this herd was owned by Bishop Hunter. Junius had charge of the herd and the Bishop furnished him with a horse to ride. Occasionally my son Octavius would relieve his brother in driving these animals. My Son, Eugene drove my team and took care of the animals from the starting point till we arrived in Salt Lake Valley.

[Variant version of text also in Heart Throbs of the West, 12 vols. (1939-51), 11:391-92]