Transcript for Roskelley, Samuel, "Grandpa Roskelley Looks at Life," Roskelley Organ 1, no. 1 (1 June 1951): 29-30

After a passage of 10 days we arrived at Florence and met the same response. We had met everywhere else, no one knew of any arrangement s for our journey home. Having but little means some of us suffered for want of food and we could not obtain work as the people were quite poor and unable to hire but our suspense was broken on the 30 of April by the arrival of Bro. Joseph W. Young and a few Elders with teams and outfits for our company of European Elders, who together with the United States and Canadian Missionaries made quite a company. We made camp about 2 miles west of Florence as a rendivous [rendezvous] on 1 May 1858 and had the unpleasant experience during the night while on guard to have the horses stampede making us a very uncomfortable nights ride bare back, hunting them.

May 3 we found the horses and proceeded to the Elkhorn [Elk Horn] river. Appointed cook of No. 3 Mess. On our way westward visited the new town of Genoa, a place lately occupied by the Saints from the Frontier and organized as a branch of the church.

Monday 10th May assisting in putting the wagons over the Loup Fork river, wading and standing in water all day. Tuesday 11, May started from the Loup Fork River westward.

Walks Into Deserted Salt Lake Ahead of Express

Sunday 21 June 1858 at 9:15 P.M. I left camp on the divide west of the Weber river and walked in the city several hours ahead of the Express sent from the camp to notify the presidency of our near approach. Arriving in Main street Salt Lake City about 9 o’clock A.M. Monday 22 June 1858 and took breakfast at the Globe Hotel, Main street, by invitation of Elder David Candlin, the proprietor. I afterwards went to Pres. Young’s house and found the Lions, Bee Hive and White House and premises in charge of a Bro. Smith. All the city was deserted. The few men around had been detailed a guards to look after the property and water the trees to keep them alive. These trees were covered with weeds and business entirely suspended. Weeds growing in abundance everywhere and city presented a sorrowful appearance. Our train arrived in the evening and an express was sent to the Presidency at Provo notifying them of our arrival as great anxiety was felt by the church concerning us, fearing we might fall into the hands of the soldiers.