Transcript for Shurtliff, Luman Andros, Journal, 1841 May-1856 Apr., fd. 1, 282-91

The brethren continued to gather on the East Bank of the River waiting until a sufficient number ware their to organize a company of one hundred wagons[.] we ware here in camp about three weeks, when Bro. Isaac Allread [Allred] came to my camp and said our numbers are full or nearly so[.] I asked him who we should have for Captain[.] he said he had heard heard nothing[.] I told him that he would be my choice for Captain. We ware soon called together to organize[.] it was a rainy day and when I got to the place appointed the brethren ware assembled in a large log house as it was raining hard at the time[.] we started in without ceremony. Bro. Allreads Father was sitting in a Chair in the middle of the house which was crowded with men and the first I herd Father Allread said if you leave me to nominate I nominate Bro Easton Kelsey for Captain of the hundred and those in favor of him being our Captain of the hundred hold up their hands[.] all hands was up. Now said he I shall nominate Bro [Luman Andros] Shirtliff [Shurtliff] for the Capatain of the first fifty[.] those in favor raise their hands[.] it was all clear when he steped immediately to Bro Kelsey and said as they have got us into the scrape less nominate Bro Isaac Allread to which he agreed[.] Father Allread herd this and said I hear the Brethren mention my Son Isaacs name those in favor of him being the captain of the second fifty [ illegible text ]

We then organized in tens choosing captains and prepare for a start. This was unexpected to me and how it hapend unless Br. Hyde (who I thought dictated the affair) felt better toward me than I thought for) which I hope was the case). We soon began to cross the River and go on to a grove six miles from Winterquarters [Winter Quarters] called the six mile grove.

When all over we moved on when we got to the Horn we found the water high[.] one company had part over and was on a small Island surrounded by water and the water still rising and it rained almost every day[.] Furthermore it was Elder Hydes council for the companies to go north and try to head the Horn and loup fork and find a passage to [illegible text] that wagon

After staying over night we took our journey up the Horn but made but little progress[.] the rain fell in torrants[.] all streames ware high and we lost much time[.] about the 20 of [-] we stoped to build a bridge across a good size stream and had to float our timber about two miles from a small grove on the oposite side of the creek[.] I called out my men and we walked up the River nearly oposite the grove when the fevermost swam across[.] when I came up two or three ware standing on the opposite shore apparently waiting to see me cross[.] I went in and took across an ax and a long rope and had just got on shore when on looking back, I saw standing on the other shore the Clerk of the hundred[.] at the same time someone called to him to come over to which he replied I would like to but cannot swim a bit[.] an offer was made for a couple to go back to fetch him to which he agreed. Two good swimmers started back and felt to do so and went back[.] the Clerk had on heavy Clothing as it was rather cool[.] he took off none of it[.] the three went in[.] I stood until they ware nearly half across when the Clerk strangled with the water the swimmers throwd in his face and with a sudden jerk of his upper hand brake loose from the brethren on the upper sied claped his hand to his mouth at the same time[.] the event rolled him under the lower man. As soon as I saw this I struck in and just as I got to them one of the swimmers reaching down caught him by the hair and we dragged him to the shore where he lay several hours before he could get a way. That day we cut[,] floted down timber and built a bridge and nearly finished it that night their [illegible text] side hill and the water. ran with wind wagon with as much power that it washed away. later frying pan cooking tools and even Chains that lay cross way of the hill ware rolled some distance and in the morning not a trace of our bridge was to be seen. About ten oclock on that day a company of men came up sent from Bro. Hyde to guard us back to the River. A difficulty had arisen with the Indians and Br. H thought we had better return[.] some ware opposed to going back and Capt Kelsey called a meeting of the two Companies to acertain their feelings. When we got together the Capt wished us all to speak our minds[.] I told them I thought we had better go back as Br H had sent the guard to us to guard us back[.] I thought we had best to go with them. Bro Allread said he did not wish to go back but if we should he did not think best for the guard to wait for us as we ware none to well suplyed with provisions they had better go a head as fast as possible and after the meeting closed and we went to camp except one of my Company[.] Capt Allread spoke to his Co. against going back and laid it to cowardice on my part in incouraging the companies to return. This was the first I had discovered of any feelings.

It was agreed to return and the next day we started Eastward not on our back track but took an East direction

on the 27 of June got to the six mile Grove[.] Capt A. Company camped near a half a mile from mine. I called my Co. together and told them I thought they had better put what money they had to spare together and send it back to Kanesville and buy flour for we had used much of our bread stuff and we knew nothing how long we should be in going to the Valley and would undoubtedly need all we could get[.] A committy was appointed[,] money gathered [,] & the next morning they went to Kanesville[.] on their handing out the flour the next eve to those who went for it thare was one sack left that belonged to no one. But I thought that belongedt to me and was brought through the blessings of God by mistake of the Brethren[.] the Brethren had made out to me what flour I thought I should need. While we ware about camp to day we saw flags they hoisted in Br. As Camp[.] Capt. Kelsey went in [illegible text] But soon after had come to me saying they have got up a plan in Allreds Co contary to my council and to the order of the camp[.] And I shall call the companies together and resign[.] And soon notified the Co and we set down when we get their and had called the Co together[.] Capt K said he had done the best he could and if the people ware not satisfied he would serve no longer and wished to resighn and go on with us as a private member. When he was thru in speaking I arose and tendered my resignation but the Brethren ware not willing we should give up our offices. but agreed to follow our Council and obey our orders. And by the sudjestion [suggestion] of Bro. Stodard and Father Allread I was chosen to act as a bishop in my Company and take and use any property for the benefit of said Company or any individual of the same and we dismissed with much better feeling than when we came together[.] About the middel of the day several wagons came from the West[,] stoped at my camp and said they had crossed the River several days before on their way to the Mines and as they traveled west they herd about about the Indians threatening to rob the Emigration and most of them made up their mi[n]ds to return and those wishing to go on dare not go on alone and was oblige to return with the rest. A man by the name of Boing with three wagons requested to join my Company and go on. I told him I had no objections to his going with me provided he would obey my council in all things pertaining to the rules and order of the Camp[.] so far as our religion was concerned he could do as he pleased[.] to this he agreed and proved as faithful as any other man. When we first came to this grove we received word from Elder Hyde that we might now go a head for the Indian difficulty was settled and we could go safe.

On the 29th of June, we again started west[,] making our way North westernly[.] We had good weather[.] our teams ware used to traveling the feed and out and we soon came to the small fork of the Horn which we readily crossed[.] we saw no Indians and nothing transpired worthy of note until we came to the west fork of the Horn[.] have here I [illegible text]. when I saw Indian signs[.] I celected a camping place on a small stream whare was plenty of wood[,] water and grass[.] here we camped[;] three companies of us for a Company had fell in with us from Garden Grove[,] which we called the Garden Grove Co.

When we a woke in the morning we [illegible text] found their ware several Horses missing from Br. A's Garden Grove Company[.] some of them ware taken from their stakes near the guards[.] a hunt was instituted[.] the animils ware traced down the creek several miles[.] soon after we was up[,] an Indian & a squaw came into my camp and lingered about until we left the ground. I felt it was best for me to leave their[,] cross and the stream & travel a few miles and then camp[,] it being Sunday[.] accordingly I ordered the animals up and we moved about four miles and camp on a beautiful rolling Prairie[.] I ordered my wagons camped in a half circle that we might put our cattle into the circle and place a guard accross in front so if the Indians caused our cattle to stampeed they could get out without breaking our wagons on hurting any of us. East of us we could see Indians standing on the hills all day and about the middle of the after noon several Chiefs and a female interpeter came into camp and demanded two or three Beever as pay for crossing their lands[.] I did not feel to respond and told them I had none to part with therefore could not let them have any.

They soon left and went East[.] near sunset they made their appearance & came up within a half mile and sat upon the ground as if in council[.] when it was quite dark I sent a couple of the brethren to them to invite them to come up and if they would give me their arms I would pitch them a tent[,] furnish them supper and breakfast and in the morning they should have their arms and go in peace. They agreed to this[,] came up[,] Gave me all their weapons and I ordered their tent pitched in the open space in front of the cattle so if any of the Indians made the cattle stampeed they would be sure to stamp down the tent[,] Indians and all together[.] then I placed a double guard on the out side of the Indians with [illegible text] or out without my orders. About sunset a man came riding up to camp from the west and wished to stay with us over night. I told him he could stay if he would put into my hands his saddle[,] bridle & every weapon he had about him even to his pocket knife which he did[.] why I was this particular was that this Allred had taken in this Gentile Emigrant into my Co. I learned that a man in the Garden Grove Co. had started with Mr. Boing for the Gold mines of California[.] they had traveled to gather to Kanesville[.] here they had a falling out about some property in which this man had threatened to kill Mr. Boing. They had parted with the same feeling[,] had not seen or herd of each other until about a week before this when they accidentally met in the Garden Grove Co[,] drawd their pistols[,] and probably kill one or the other had not the Capt. interfered and prevented it. When Mr Boing told me of the affair he was much exited and said the company had herd the story of this man and was determined to take him into that Co and make him (Boing) settle it as they thought propper[.] he was satisfied if that man could get him into that company he would try to kill him.

I asked Mr. Boing if he was still willing to harken to my council[.] he said he was. I told him then to keep in my Co. and if any man said any thing to him about a trial in that company tell them I said no man of my company could be taken out of my company and tried for any crime whatever until we got to the valley. I had taken that co. to conduct to the valley. I should do it if they would obey my Council & stick to me. I and Capt. Kelsey was the law of that company until we got to the valley then the Law of the land was open for them. This satisfied him (Mr. Boing)[.] the other man soon after left his company and went on a head but was on his return when he came into my camp from the west and was going to the States. This was why I demanded his arms before he could stay lest he should kill Mr. Boing and leave in the night. Thus arranged I felt I had all safe if the Indians stampeded our stock I knew I had a guard who if the stock did not kill the Indians in the tent would [illegible text] I did not sleep much that night.

Early the next morning our stranger called for his things and untied his horse and road for a mile or more as fast as his horse could well run.

When the Indians had got their breakfast they also left but others soon came until we ware allmost over run and when we came to yoke our teams they ware much in our way some of them staying until we left them on the ground. Soon after Sun rise the Indians began leaving the timber East of us and continued until we left with an unbroken line. I neaver saw half as many before or since in one body.

We continued our journey N West for severl days. Capt A seemed quite anxious to go a head of us and manifested a great anxiety to ensell nothing of importance and until we came to a good size stream we supposed to be a fork of Wood River. Capt. A was before me and camped in sight of the River. I camped two miles back[.] The Garden Grove Co. camped a little below Capat. A. Co on the River[.] in the morning when I came to Capt A. Co. I moved past him to the River. The Garden G. Co. was crossing below. Capt. A said he had sent his team for nine miles to a small grove to get some timber to cross on[.] after that I understood he was intending to cross where the other company ware crossing. Capt A and myself examined the River and found a place where by sinking some rods we thought we could cross a half loaded wagon by hand. We went to work[,] put in some rod[,] partly unloaded a wagon[,] hitched a rope to the tongue and rolled it in[.] a few men on the other side soon drew it out and while part of the men ware thus employed we put several empty wagons into the stream[,] put wagon beds on them and made a bridge over which we put accross to the unloaded goods. While we ware thus angered[,] Capt. A's teams came with the timber above refered to. I asked Capt. A whare he intended to cross[.] he said he intended crossing below where the other Co. was crossing. Well I told him his wood would come handy when we got across to cook our mush and he could afford to pay us a tenth (in a joke)[.] he said he should want a tenth of the mush too. I told him to come down [illegible text]

After we had got all over it was understood that Capt. A had altered his mind and was not intending to use his timber for crossing his wagons and as it was on the opposite side of the River where he could not use it[.] my men thought no harm in useing it also having herd what passed between Capt. A and myself concerning the wood and mush. Soon after we ware over[,] the stock began to cross the River below and was likely to mix with the stock of Capt. A[.] as the men ware busy in preparing for night I waded the River and turned the Stock and while I was getting them back I herd the men chopping and the river light up which thing I had not seen for several nights and before I could get the Stock over and get back to camp my Co. was quite happy around their fires. We got a warm supper and thanked the Lord for his blessings and when dry we went to rest quite comfortable.

In the morning Father Allread came down to the River and when I saw him prepare to cross I went out and helped him up the bank thinking it singular he should come so early but he soon said he had come over to see if he could find his yokes and chains which was left their when they drawd the timber for he did not think his yokes and chains safe where men would steal wood and he went and piled up his yokes and chains and went back I told my Co. the feeling of Br A and the brethren took back their wood that was not on fire. Soon Capt A and several others came down to the River and accused us of stealing wood so I told them the facts in the case. Capt A was rath and threatened to use powder and lead if we did not settle it before we left. I asked him what he wished us to do[.] he said it was ruleable in the church if a man stole he should pay ten fold[.] if we would do that[,] all right[,] if not he should bring us before the High Council when we got to the valley. I saw the trouble[.] I had got me day a head of him and if he could detain us until he got over then he would be up to us. So I told him as for his powder and lead I had as much to spare as he had and as many men to us[e] it[.] as for drawing ten times our [illegible text] and that I would not do. High Council[,] that I was willing to do. So we hitched up and rolled out leaving him to come on. We continued our course Westerly over a rolling prarie with good feed and water for several days when we came to sand hills piled up beyond any human ant on calculation[.] Among these hills our road was so verry croked we could only see one team and wagon before us[.] feed soon became rather scarce & we thought best to turn our course more west and travel a West course in hopes of shunning the worst of these hills[.] we soon came to a wild country lately inhabited by Indians.

The first night it was stormy and we corralled our wagons in a half circle with a guard to keep them in[.] Soon after we lay down[,] a dog knocked over a pile of dishes which gave the cattle a start and they burst out in spite of the guard and ran some distance before we could head them and get them back and when we did it was all we could do with our whips to keep them their. The next day we crossed what we called the Loup fork went about five miles and camped.

This night we corralled our Wagons in a circle except a gate wagon two sides and put two men to watch each of these[.] We had but just got into bed when the cattle took a stampeed[,] ran into one side of the correll[,] jumped one into the other and finally onto the wagons[,] broak down some[,] moved others and went out[,] ran several miles before we stoped them[.] And when we got them back[,] guarded them in the outside of the Corrall untill morning. One cow was badly hurt[.] several horses galloped off and a number of cattle lassoed. The next day we repaired our wagons and the following day pursued our journey traveling south of West and at night corralled our wagons in a half circle and drove our cattle about a half mile from camp to feed. They had bin their but a few hours when they took a stampeed and ran toward, camp and it was with difficulty we could keep them out of our correll with whips [illegible text] not a little. When they see they could not get in the correll they turned East and took our back track and some of them ran sixteen miles before we could stop them. It was nearly noon when we got our cattle together and when together each one was affraid of the others. I one team yoked at a time and then roll out[.] in doing so several teams ran some while being hitched on[.] others when hitched on would run a great distance before the teamsters could handle or quiete them but as the ground was smooth no person was badly hurt and but wagon upset and but little damage done.

From their we traveled more [-] until we reached the Plat[te] River[.] at the Platt River we halted two days[,] killed and dried meat. hear the Buffalows ware in droves of hundred[,] some even came into our herd and we had to dog them off[.] when we had got what meat we thought we should need we started on. The morning we left I think their was seven or eight companies their. it was the last of our teams was in good order traveling and we got along well.

About three hundred miles before we got to the Valley Capt. Kelsey came to me and said Capt. I understand their is a great deal of difficulty in Capt. Allreads [Allred's] Co. and I will go the rest of the way with him. He then left and I saw no more of him or Capt. A's Company until I had bin in the Valley near two weeks. I got into Salt Lake City the 23rd of Sept….