Transcript for Sophia L. Goodridge Hardy journal, 1850 June 7-October 14

June 7, 1850. We started from Kanesville at 1:00 P.M. for Bethlehem. Rode ten miles and camped at Margarets Creek, a very beautiful shady spot. We heard the wolves howl in the night for the first time. Our horses were frightened.

June 8, Saturday. Traveled seven miles, camped three miles from Bethlehem. We enjoyed ourselves very much at the last two places we camped. Had two violins in our tent. Had some music and dancing. Good feed for the cattle and good water. We stopped at this place until June 14.

June 14. Went three miles, camped at Bethlehem, had a pleasant time, some music and dancing.

June 18. We traveled six miles today, camped at a creek, good feed and water. Our company was organized today. Captain Petty was chosen Captain over a hundred. Captain Leonard W. Hardy over the first fifty. George Gardner, Captain over ten, our company. All well.

June 19. Did not travel. Did our washing.

June 20. Still in camp. Did our ironing. Picked some wild gooseberries on the banks of the creek.

June 21. Traveled four miles. Camped on the bank of a creek.

June 23. Went four miles. Raining.

June 24. Went two miles. Still raining. Camped by a creek.

June 25. Crossed the creek this morning. Passed five graves; they died the 15th of June. They all had grave tablets made of wood rudely hewn with the name engraved with a knife. A verse was written on the grave of Mr. Done, which was very touching. We crossed three more creeks today without accident. Went ten miles and camped at Weeping Water Creek.

June 26. We traveled ten miles today. Passed three graves, no names on them. Came up with a government Company. One man was sick with the cholera, died, was buried in the forenoon. In the afternoon we passed three more graves. No names, died June 22. One of our company taken sick with cholera. Camped at Salt Creek tonight

June 27. Sister Green died of cholera this morning. Brother Blazerd taken sick. Crossed the creek, went on to the bluff and camped for the night. The first fifty caught up with us today. They are on the other side of the creek. One man with the cholera among them.

June 28. We started about noon and traveled six miles and camped on the open prairie without wood or water. Found water about one-half mile from camp. Passed the grave of a child.

June 29. Our company all in good spirits this morning, and I feel grateful to my Heavenly Father for his kindness in preserving our lives and health thus far, and that He has preserved us from accident and danger of every kind. We traveled four miles and camped on the open prairie without wood or water, except what we brought with us. There is nothing to see but one endless sea of grass, waving and rolling like the waves of the sea, and now and then a tree. We had a very heavy thunder storm this morning.

June 30. Jane Green died this morning of cholera. She was eighteen years old. Our first fifty came up with us this morning. They had buried a Brother Smith this morning. The rest of the camp all well. We went four miles and camped where we found wood and water. We killed a rattlesnake.

July 1. Joseph Green died this morning of cholera, age 19 months, making three on one family that have died within 5 days. Came up with our first fifty, found Brother Hall dead with cholera. Our camp felt afflicted and distressed. We felt like humbling ourselves before the Lord, and pray that He might turn from us the sickness and distress among us. We therefore met together, the speakers exhorting us to be diligent in our devotions and united. A vote was taken to that effect. Then they called upon the Lord in prayer that He would bless and preserve us on our journey to the valley. We then started on our journey rejoicing. We met the mail from the valley. Met Brother Crosby and seven other brethren on their way on a mission to England. We were very glad to see them, -- they brought cheering news from the valley, which caused us to rejoice. We traveled six miles and camped on the prairie without wood, but found water.

July 2. Very warm and pleasant, we traveled sixteen miles, all level prairie.

July 3. We traveled about fifteen miles. Camped on the bluff on the north side of the Platt River. Good wood and water. Our first fifty camped about a mile from us. Samuel Hardy buried his youngest child this morning.

July 4. Stopped to wash. Lucy Johnson was taken sick this afternoon and died at twelve o'clock.

July 5. Went twelve miles, stopped at Clear Creek.

July 6. Traveled sixteen miles.

July 7. Camped for the day. Sister Snow died this morning, making five that have died in our division.

July 8. We traveled sixteen miles and camped on the Platt River, good camping ground. Our two companies together. All pretty well.

July 9. Had a heavy thunder shower last night. This morning cool and cloudy. Bro. Woodruff baptized twelve persons. Father, Mary Jane and George among the number. We traveled twelve miles. Camped on the Platt River. Passed some bluffs, the road very sandy and cracked in some places.

July 10. Cool and pleasant. We traveled fifteen miles, camped on the banks of the Platt River. Heavy showers.

July 11. Heavy showers, very warm and sultry. Sister Huntington of the first division died of a fever. The road very wet and hard to travel. We went ten miles and camped on the Platt. Brother Hyde passed us on his way to the valley.

July 12. Had a heavy rain last night. The river rose two feet. One horse drowned. Traveled about ten miles and camped on the open prairie. Had very heavy thunder showers. The cattle of the first division strayed away. Found them all again.

July 13. The weather cool and clear. Went ten miles. Camped on the Platt River.

July 14. Sunday. Camped for the day, both divisions camped in one corral. We held a meeting in the afternoon. Bros. Whipple, Hardy and Woodruff were the speakers. We felt very much encouraged by what was said.

July 15. We traveled seven miles, came to Ft. Childer, formerly Fort Carney. A thunder shower came up and William Ridges was struck by lightning and instantly killed. Three of his cattle were killed at the same time and one of his children injured, but not seriously. A number of people felt the shock. We went about two miles farther and camped.

July 16. A child or Mrs. Burnes died of cholera this morning. The weather is clear and cool, it is very muddy. We were delayed this morning. Traveled about 8 miles, camped on prairie. Used buffalo chips for fuel.

July 17. We traveled fourteen miles, saw some antelope. Did not kill any.

July 18. Went eighteen miles and camped on Plum Creek. We passed a number of groves of trees. We say some animals on the bluffs, probably buffalo. The weather fine, the roads good. The camp in good health.

July 19. This morning is clear and beautiful. We traveled sixteen miles and camped on the open prairie without wood or water.

July 20. Traveled about fourteen miles. The weather cloudy. Bro. Emmet killed an antelope. It was distributed among his ten. We found it excellent eating. We camped on the bank of the river, a beautiful place. The bluffs begin to look higher and more rough and rugged.

July 21. Sunday, so we did not travel today according to council. We held meetings in the forenoon and afternoon and received some excellent instructions that served to cheer us on our journey.

July 22. We started this morning in good spirits. David Cook shot a sage hen. We saw some antelope and some wolves, did not kill any. We passed Brother Woodruff's company about noon; they were camped on the Platt. Brother Petty was sick, had buried one of his children the day before. We traveled about sixteen miles and camped on the banks of the Platt River -- a grand place for bathing. Brother Woodruff's company caught up with us tonight.

July 23. Traveled fourteen miles and camped near the Platt River. Bro. Emmet killed an antelope. We had a steak from it, very good. Bro. Woodruff's company camped with us tonight.

July 24. Laid over today to do some repairing.

July 25. We traveled about eight miles and camped. We passed near a number of herds of buffalo. Our division killed one, and brought into camp. The first division killed two. The food for the cattle is growing shorter. We see quite a number of buffalo dead on the ground. We made a rule in our camp not to kill any more than we need to eat.

July 26. It is very warm today. We traveled about eight miles and camped on the Platt South Fork. Our folk killed a buffalo cow this evening and brought it to camp.

July 27. Cloudy. Saw two big white wolves and four antelope. Passed a number of head of buffalo. Went about four miles and camped. Out wagon wheels are very musical. We had to stop and burn coal. Our men cut wood and started a coal pit. In the afternoon part of our company remained at the last camping place on account of the excellent hunting. There was no wood there but cedars, which they thought would not make as good coal as the willows. We found this last place grand for wood and water. It is situated on the South Forks of the Platt River. There is quite a large island covered with cottonwood trees, and excellent feed for the cattle

July 28. Sunday -- did not travel. Had a meeting in the fore part of the day. Had a heavy shower which we needed very much. It tightened our wagon wheels and saved our men the trouble of taking off the tires and resetting them. Bro. Woodruff is sick today -- worn out with fatigue and care.

July 29. We traveled about seventeen miles and camped near a small creek about two miles from the Platt. Saw a herd of buffalo.

July 30. We traveled about ten miles when a stampede started in the first division. There were three wagons smashed. It was caused by a runaway horse. Traveled about eighteen miles. The first division stayed to fix up their cattle and wagons, a number of tongues and yokes of wagons were broken. Bro. Woodruff's beautiful buggy horse had his leg broken. The buffalo cows bellowed all night, and we expected they would be down among us before morning, but fortunately they kept back among the bluffs. Their bellowing sounded like distant thunder. Bro. Leonard Hardy is quite sick with cholera.

July 31. Took an early start this morning. Traveled thirteen miles and came to the crossing of the South Fork of the Platt River. Our wagons all crossed safely before dark. Camped on the bank of the river. It is about one-fourth of a mile wide.

Aug. 1. We ascended to the bluffs this morning and came upon an extensive plain or rolling prairie. Had some tremendous steep bluffs to descend. It seemed impossible for such heavy loaded teams to descend in safety, but we all reached Ash Hollow without an accident. We traveled eighteen miles and camped on the North Fork of the Platt.

Aug. 2. We washed today. Ash Hollow is a beautiful place. Bluffs on both sides of the hollow which appears to have been the bed of a river once, and opens onto the North Fork of the Platt which runs from the east and to the west. Bro. Woodruff's company joined us tonight with the exception of six wagons which were left, two broken down and became too dark to come down the steep hills. Bro. Hardy's health was poor, getting better slowly of the cholera.

Aug. 3. Remained in Ash Hollow to fix up our wagons.

Aug. 4. Sunday. Had a meeting. Brother Woodruff made a proposition that he stop with his ten baggage wagons, and let the rest of the first and second divisions or as many as wish to go ahead. He felt he had so much care on his shoulders. Bro. Whipple said that he would take the burden of the ten baggage wagons on his shoulders. Bro. Gardner, the blacksmith worked all day and had a number of men to help him repair the wagons, but did not get all done.

Aug. 5. Bro. Hardy is better this morning and started out with sixteen of his division to go ahead. Bro. Green started out alone without council and out of order. Bro. Whipple started with a part of his divisions and went four miles in search of feed for our cattle which was very short. Captain Hardy also camped with us for the day. The land on the north side of the river is prairie, while on the south side is high towering bluffs, which look like fortifications in many places.

Aug. 6. Bro. Hardy started off this morning feeling much better. Mr. Wallace saw a bear which was asleep. He did not disturb him.

Aug. 7. Bro. Woodruff came up with us this morning. We had a meeting this afternoon. Had a new organization; Bros. Whipple, Gardner, Goodridge and Rawson were transferred into Bro. Woodruff's division, making twenty-four wagons in that division and leaving twenty in Bro. Whipple's. Bro. Moffet was chosen Captain over the remainder.

Aug. 8. Very warm. Started out about eight o'clock this morning, the second division taking the lead. We had a very hard road today, very sandy and steep bluffs to climb. We traveled about twelve miles and camped near the Platt river. Feed rather short.

Aug. 9. Had very heavy showers last night, very sharp lightening and loud thunder. The wolves killed a calf belonging to Bro. Whipple. We traveled about fifteen miles and camped on the Platt.

Aug. 10. Saw some antelope this morning and some wolves. We traveled about fifteen miles and camped on the Platt, found good feed.

Aug. 11. Sunday. We laid over. Held a meeting this afternoon. We had a very excellent discourse by Bro. Whipple on the difference between the Jews and the Gentiles. Bros. Woodruff and Gardner gave us some excellent instructions. This evening we saw the prairie on fire. It was a grand and imposing scene.

Aug. 12. We started on our journey at four o'clock, all well. We passed a high bluff called Exchange, on account of its resemblance to a large building. Passed Clear creek, a small stream of very clear water. It comes from the bluffs and flows into the Platt. We traveled eighteen miles, had very good roads. We met some Government trains from Ft. Laramie. They said the first division was about fifteen miles ahead of us. Killed two rattle snakes.

Aug. 13. Started about eight o'clock and traveled about sixteen miles. Camped about three o'clock on the Platt. A heavy rain came just before we stopped. We passed Chimney Rock. This is a notable curiosity. It is 834 yards around the base, and 200 feet high. The main shaft is 100 feet in diameter. It appears to be formed of clay and sand of two colors, gray and white. It also has the appearance of cement between the two columns. It is supposed by some to be the work of the Nephites.

Aug. 14. It is a clear beautiful morning. We made an early start and went about nineteen miles. We saw some Indians for the first time since we started. Their wigwams were spread along the road. They were Sioux. They looked very neat and clean for Indians. The men came out on horses to look at us. The squaws with their papooses stood along the road and tried to sell us some moccasins. One of the men wanted to trade a horse for a white squaw. We passed Scotts bluff on the right. We leave the river here and strike into the bluffs. We found choke cherries and wild plums, there were not quite ripe. We camped on the open prairie. There is a beautiful cold spring here.

Aug. 15. We did not start until late this morning. We had a long meeting to settle some difficulties between some members of the company not worth mentioning. We crossed Horse Creek and camped about half a mile further on. This creek is several rods wide, about a foot deep and very muddy. The water after standing a few minutes, became perfectly clear and very good to drink. A very heavy shower came up just after we camped. We traveled twelve miles.

Aug. 16. We started at seven o'clock and traveled about fifteen miles over rolling prairies and sandy bluffs and camped on the Platt River.

Aug. 17. We traveled about ten miles. We passed a great many traders and Indians, some of them had the small pox. The feed is very poor.

Aug. 18. Sunday. On account of the feed being so poor, we thought it best to travel. We went twelve miles. Passed Ft. Laramie. We camped on the Platt river. We found Captain Hardy's train about one-fourth mile from us. We had not seen them for two weeks. They were all well. Mrs. Bird had a still-born child on Saturday morning.

Aug. 19. Cold and stormy all day. We did not travel any today.

Aug. 20. We traveled about two and one-half miles. The feed is so good we thought it best to let the animals feed up and rest. A company of Shian Indians came along in the afternoon and camped beside us. They had been out on a buffalo hunt and were returning to Fort Laramie to sell their skins. They looked very friendly. We traded some with them. Bro. Woodruff lost an ox last night and had to go back to the Fort to get some more, which delayed us some.

Aug. 21. We started about two P.M. and traveled about four miles. We had a very bad hill to go down. Bro. Woodruff's carriage horse got frightened and ran away. Phebia Foss was in the carriage but jumped out. The horse ran until he got tangled up in the brush, no damage was done. We camped on the Platt.

Aug 22. Started early, traveled about twenty-one miles over a very uneven road. We passed through a band of Shian Indians. They were camped on the bank of a beautiful clear creek. There were several hundred of them. We crossed another creek and camped.

Aug. 23. We started early and traveled about 25 miles. We crossed three creeks. One of them about three rods and one and one-half feet deep. The roads were uneven and dangerous in some places, and in others nice and smooth. Camped on the Platt River. Cool and pleasant. There were some buffalo on the banks where we camped tonight.

Aug. 24. We are in the midst of the Black Hills. They look black at a distance, but when near they are green and covered with straggling pines. We traveled eight and one-half miles and camped for the day. We met Bros. Stratton and Hanks from Salt Lake who had been sent out to meet and cheer us on our way. They brought us some potatoes, which tasted so good. They will tell us where to find good camping places. We held a meeting in the afternoon. Bro. Stratton read a letter from President Brigham Young. It was truly cheering to us to hear from the valley and know that we were not forgotten by the Saints in the Valley, while we are traveling in the wilderness. It caused us to rejoice and feel like starting anew on our journey. Camped on the Platt River.

Aug. 25. We took a vote last night to travel today on account of the delay we had the fore part of the week. We traveled nineteen and one-half miles to the Lebout Crossing. This is a beautiful River about two rods wide and one foot deep, pleasant and cool. The road is rough today. Our first and second divisions left this place this morning. Bro. Hardy had lost an ox and his horses were giving out. We found some cherries along the river. Camped on the Lebout River.

Aug. 26. We traveled eighteen miles. Came up with the two first divisions. They were all well but Bro. Hardy who is still suffering from the cholera. Only three families came up. Bros. Gardner, Goodridge and Rawson. The rest of our division camped back about a mile and a half.

Aug. 27. Our division that stayed back lost more than half of their cattle last night. We have got to lay by and hunt them up. The first and second divisions went ahead today. Bro. Stratton and Hanks killed a buffalo and brought it to camp. They saw a grizzly bear.

Aug. 28. No cattle found yet. We cannot travel today. We went out this morning and picked fourteen quarts of cherries.

Aug. 29. Part of the cattle were found last night. They are out hunting the rest today. It is very sandy here. The last day we traveled about three miles through it. We saw some mountain sheep on the hills.

Aug. 30. We started this morning before breakfast and went to the place where the remainder of our division was camped on the Laforella Creek. Our company killed two buffalo today. The rest of the cattle were found today all but three. Bro. Smoot passed us today. Bros. Heywood and Wooley camped with us tonight. We held a meeting together. They had had but one death in their company and had got along remarkably well.

Aug. 31. We started this morning about ten o'clock. We crossed Boxelder Creek. Bro. Badlam has got his roadameter going today. We traveled fourteen miles. Camped on the Platt.

Sept. 1. We started about ten o'clock and crossed Deer Creek. Traveled about thirteen and one-half miles. We passed Bro. Smoot's company. We had strong winds and some rains.

Sept. 2. Started at ten o'clock. Crossed Crooked Muddy Creek, also Muddy Creek, and camped on the Platt. Traveled thirteen miles. We picked thirty-three quarts buffalo berries. They taste very much like currants and are red. They have one seed in them and make excellent sauce and pies.

Sept. 3. Started at nine o'clock and came to the Platt crossing. We stopped two hours to rest and feed our cattle, and then crossed the river. The scenery along the Platt river is very grand. A very high and long mountain chain extends southwest. We have followed it for three days and have not come to the end of it yet. We crossed the North Fork of the Platt without any accidents. We traveled nine and one-half miles and camped on the Platt River. Saw a grizzly bear.

Sept. 5. Planned an early start, but our cattle got mixed up with Smoot's on account of our herdsmen not attending to duty. George caught some bass and some suckers. We traveled fourteen miles and camped by a beautiful clear spring. We passed quite a number of dead cattle, perhaps twenty-five, caused by a poisoned spring of water which we passed today. The country here is not quite so rocky and barren as it has been the past few days. We came through a place called Rock Avenue. It is about a quarter of a mile in length and lined with rocks on each side.

Sept. 6. We traveled sixteen miles today and camped on Greasewood Creek, a beautiful creek and good feed. The weather is very pleasant. We camped with Bro. Smoot's company. Brother Stratton left to start. They took a beautiful wild horse with them that they had captured.

Sept. 7. We traveled eight miles today. We passed a salaratus lake and camped at the foot of Independence Rock. This evening we had a dance on the banks of Sweetwater. The whole camp participated. We had a good time.

Sept. 8. The air is cool this morning. I have just climbed Independence Rock and the view is beautiful. The Sweetwater flows southwest at the base of the rock and winds around the foot of the mountain. The Salaratus Lake is seen in the northeast, the Devils Gate in the west, while mountains are to be seen on all sides. We crossed the Sweetwater and traveled on until we came to the Devils Gate. We stopped and ate our dinner here. This is a curious freak of nature. The rocks are perpendicular four hundred feet high and in one place the gap between them is only two feet wide. The Sweetwater flows through the gap. Some of us crossed it on foot just for the novelty of it. We traveled fifteen miles and camped on Sweetwater.

Sept. 9. Traveled eight miles over a heavy sandy road, crossed the Sweetwater and camped. We were detained in the morning until nearly noon on account of Brother Woodruff's teamsters; one of them was fired and the other two left. They were rough, obscene men, did not belong to the church and were stealing the supplies. We crossed a creek bed.

Sept. 11. We started early, crossed the Sweetwater three times. Camped at Ice Springs. Traveled eight miles, windy and dusty. Many rocks and hills. The Ice Springs are a great curiosity. About one or two feet below the surface of the spring, any quantity of ice may be found. It is not good for use; it has a bad smell. The ground is soft and marshy above it. Very little feed here.

Sept. 12. We started early this morning. We passed a fine Salaratus Lake. We gathered what we wanted, -- it was very white and clean. All we had to do was scrape it up. We crossed the Sweetwater. Good feed. Found ice in our pails this morning.

Sept. 13. We started at noon and went eight miles and camped on the Sweetwater. Plenty good feed and wood. Some of our cattle gave out last night, so our Captain thought it best that we rest part of the day.

Sept. 14. We started at seven o'clock and traveled about two miles and came to a new route to the pass made by Captain Andrus. We took it and went eleven and one-half miles and lost three miles and camped on Quaken Asp Creek. We met several head of cattle and one wagon for Heywood and Wooley.

Sept. 15. We traveled about five miles and camped on Sweetwater. We started a coal pit and held a meeting. Four wagons came up tonight from Hunter's company.

Sept. 16. We crossed the Sweetwater for the last time. We traveled fifteen miles and camped at Pacific Springs. We met Captain Hardy in search of his horses. They had been lost two days. Captain Currie's horse is gone also and one belonging to another man.

Sept. 17. We stopped to do some repairing this morning. We let Captain Hardy have a yoke of oxen so he could travel on. We started out about noon. Just as we were starting, five Indians came up. One was a squaw who could speak English. They said they had found two horses. Brothers Woodruff and Atwood went with them to their camp. They took a few articles with them, supposing they were not willing to give up the horses. Aunt Hattie sent a blanket shawl. We wait the result. We crossed two creeks. Traveled thirteen miles and camped on Pacific Bitter Creek.

Sept. 19. We have heard nothing from Bros. Woodruff and Atwood, and we feel somewhat alarmed at their long absence. We sent two messengers back to Captain Wooley's camp to see if they have heard from them, and if not to have him join us and send our united forces of men after them. Our messengers had not been gone more than one-half hour when we saw them returning with Brothers Woodruff and Atwood with one of Brother Hardy's horses and one Brother Currie's. We were glad to see them. It appears that the Indians had stolen them and then wanted to be paid for returning them. When the brethren got to their camp they found three hundred warriors and about one thousand horses. They were going to war with the Shians. These Indians were Shoshonies. They had lost one of the horses, he was an ugly horse and got away from them, and took several of the Indian horses with him. We traveled eleven miles and camped on the Big Sandy River. William Nealey shot an antelope.

Sept. 20. We camped last night with Heywood and Wooley Company and our first division. We started out about the o'clock. Captain Hardy moving out first, Brother Wooley next. We traveled sixteen miles and camped with Captain Hardy's company on the Big Sandy River.

Sept. 21. Bro. Woodruff's ox died this morning. He was at a dead stand, he could not go another rod without help. We concluded to let him take Brother Goodridge's oxen on Brother Hardy's team and Brother Hardy take a yoke of Brother Barrows, so as to have all the borrowed cattle in their division. We traveled six miles and met Brother Brigham Young from the valley, who stated there was no feed on Green River, so we camped on the Big Sandy River.

Sept. 22. Sunday. Held a meeting and felt very much instructed with the remarks of the speakers. We made a coal pit, set some tires, and made some shoes and nails.

Sept. 23. We traveled nine miles and camped on Green River. George caught a cat fish a foot long.

Sept. 24. Started at eight o'clock, went nineteen and one-half miles and camped at Ham's Fork. We passed some beautiful scenery on the banks of the river. We met two brothers from the valley, stating that the Snake Indians were hostile to the Mormons and some of them had been killed, that four hundred Indians were in the mountains armed to the teeth, so we had better be on our guard.

Sept. 25. Started at ten o'clock, went ten miles and camped on Sunset Creek, a beautiful stream of water two rods wide and two feet deep.

Sept. 26. Started at ten o'clock, traveled twelve and one-half miles. Camped on Black Fork.

Sept. 27. Started about ten. Went eight and one-half miles. Camped on Bridger Creek, about a mile from Fort Bridger.

Sept. 28. We drove up our cattle in order to make an early start. Found after we got started about ten cattle were missing. All hands went to search for them, and finally concluded they had gone back. Brothers Atwood and Nealey mounted horses and went back and found them about fourteen miles on the back trail. Got in with them about dusk. We were very glad to see them. We spent the day fishing. There are some beautiful trout in the streams and very large.

Sept. 29. Started early and traveled eleven miles. Camped on a small creek. We had a very bad hill to descend. One of Brother Woodruff's wagons had the ex broken, one of our wagons had a wheel broken.

Sept. 30. Had to lay by to mend our broken wagons. The first divisions were sent ahead. Some of them complained a good deal at being detained so much.

Oct. 1. We started early and traveled fifteen miles. We had an excellent road. It was rather hilly, but even and smooth. One of Brother Woodruff's cows died in the yoke today. We passed the highest summit of the journey today. There is some splendid scenery around the mountains. We camped in a valley at the feet of the mountains.

Oct. 2. We had rain, thunder and lightning last night. It cleared up this morning. We traveled six miles. We had a very steep hill to climb; had to double teams. We camped on Bear River. We caught a glimpse of our first division climbing the mountains ahead of us.

Oct. 3. We picked twelve quarts of Haw berries. We intend to make vinegar of them. We traveled six and one-half miles and camped on a small creek. Joseph Webb tipped his wagon over which prevented us from going any further today. Our road winds along at the foot of the mountains, very wild and picturesque. We camped on Yellow Creek.

Oct. 4. Very cold last night, froze the water over in our pails one four inch thick. It has been a beautiful day. We met Brother Hyde on his way to the states. He brought good news from the Valley. We traveled ten miles.

Oct. 5. Started early, traveled eighteen miles, camped on Echo Creek. Brother Hunter came up and camped with us. We had to cross the creek a number of times. In some places it was bad, and we had to stop and mend the roads. Brother Gibson tipped over without doing any damage.

Oct. 6. We traveled eight miles and camped on the Reed Fork of the Weber River. Our road was very rough and bad on account of having to cross the creek so many times.

Oct. 11. We traveled three miles and came to the foot of the mountain. We had dinner, and then started for the top, the second division being in head. We found the road very bad, but we made out to get to the top without any accident, but the second division broke three wagons. We made seven miles and camped on top of the mountain.

Oct. 12. We took out teams and went down the mountain and helped the others up, then traveled down the other side of the mountain about nine miles and camped at the foot of another mountain.

Oct. 13. We traveled nine miles and camped at the mouth of a canyon.

Oct. 14. Mrs. Delin had a daughter born last night. Brother Woodruff came up with us this morning and we all drove into the valley of Salt Lake and camped in the Fort. It was a rather dreary home-coming. It was very dry and dusty, and the wind was blowing the dust in clouds. Only a few little log and adobe houses to the seen fenced in with rail and willow fences. A few shade trees and fruit trees were to be seen here and there. I thought at first--"Have I got spend the rest of my days here in this dreary looking place?" But I soon felt all right about it and loved my mountain home.

[Variant version of text also in Our Pioneer Heritage, 20 vols. (1958-77), 15:254-64]