Transcript for "The Brass Band," Ogden Standard Examiner, 13 Mar. 1886, 1

In 1861, in Cardiff, Wales, I organized a brass band of ten instruments. The following are the names of the members:: Wm. Pugh, A. Pugh, T.K. Thomas, H. Hancock, William Gibbons, Dan Tozer, Wm. Evans, Jas. Wilkes, Wm. Davies, and G. Packman [Parkman]. These young men did not know anything about music or playing instruments. We practiced two nights a week, and in about six or nine months[,] they were able to play in public. About this time Mr. Toozer, that fine cornet player, joined the band. He and I had been together in a band for eight years.

In 1862 we took a trip to Bristol, England, and played in the Zoological Gardens. By this time, the boys could play pretty well, and in the fall of the same year Mr. C.W. West, Bishop of Ogden City, came to Cardiff, and the members of the Church gave an entertainment, in which the band took part. Bishop West was well pleased, and said he would like very much if the band was in Ogden. Next day he came to my house to find out my opinion about the band emigrating to Utah, as there was no brass band in Ogden. We called a meeting to talk the matter over, resulting in all agreeing to go, except two. From that time we took extra anxiety in studying music, until June 4th, 1863, when we left Cardiff for London, and shipped on board the ship Amazon, which on a future trip was burned.

On reaching New York there were several gun-boats in the harbor, it being the time of the Southern rebellion, and when we began playing, other bands began also. In a short time[,] a boat, with officers and men, pulled alongside of our ship. One of the party asked for the leader of the band. On introducing myself, he said he was told we were from London. On being informed, he offered us a position on board one of the ships, but as we were going to Utah, we refused his offer with thanks.

Landing in New York[,] we took a train to St. Joseph; from there we went up the river Missouri to Omaha, making many friends at the several stopping points. At Omaha[,] my little daughter died suddenly. While at this place we were engaged to play, and I think we stayed eight or nine days.

On the 4th of August we started to cross the plains. Mr. Thomas Ricks, of Logan City, was our captain, with Mr. Miles H. Jones, his assistant. We had a good time at Forts Kearney, Laramie, Three Crossings of Sweetwater, Bridger, and on the Platte—giving at each place a vocal and instrumental entertainment.

We arrived in Salt Lake City on October 3rd, 1863. . . .