Transcript for Young, John R., Reminiscences, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 17 Aug. 1862, 1-2

The following is taken from the narrative of Elder John R. [Ray] Young, who left Florence, Nebraska, on this date, for Salt Lake City, Utah:

"In the spring of 1862 I was called by the bishop of the Santa Clara Ward to drive an ox team to Omaha on the Missouri river, to get some cotton gins and spinning jennies for the benefit of the ward. Leaving my family camped in a tent, I responded to the call, driving my own team and crossing the plains in John R. Murdock's train.

At Omaha I found my brother Jos. W., who had charge of the church immigration, lying at the point of death. He had been knocked down by lightning and nearly crushed to death by baled wagon beds that were blown upon him during the terrible storm. Under the blessing of God, and with careful nursing, his life was preserved. For three weeks I aided in purchasing teams for the immigrants and brought up the rear end of that year's immigration. After all our companies had started back, I received orders by telegram from Pres. Young to buy more teams and wagons and to clear out the Church warehouse at Florence.

On the 17th of August I started for Salt Lake with 22 wagons and teams, but only 10 teamsters, and we traveled 100 miles before I got additional help. On Elm Creek, while on the move, we were charged by a stampeded herd of buffalo, estimated at 3,000 head. It was with great difficulty that we turned them aside, and kept the train from being run over and trampled to pieces.

During the combat, one of my night guards was dismounted, and his mule, a fine animal, ran off with the buffalo. As soon as the train was safe, a young man by the name of Stewart, and I, followed the herd, stampeded them again, and riding into the heaving, rolling mass, secured the mule, and also succeeded in cutting out three oxen and a cow that we found running with them.

Near Fort Laramie we overtook Capt. Wm. H. Dame's train of 50 wagons. As he was prostrate with mountain fever, we blended the trains and I took charge of them until we reached Ft. Bridger.

When I reached Salt Lake City, Pres. Young gave me a beautiful Canadian mare, which the Church had furnished me to use on the plains, and he gave me moreover, his blessing as a reward for my services.

At Provo, I found my wife Lydia with a sweet babe—Lydia Roseana—in her arms."