The reading room is a secure space where visitors may use materials stored in the Church History Library’s vaults, also known as the secure stacks. Once a visitor has registered as a reader, materials from the secure stacks may be requested in the Church History Catalog from a library computer and are then delivered to the reading room for use. Individuals desiring access to this room must agree to the following terms:
- Only registered readers over the age of 12 are allowed in the reading room. Registration can be completed online or at the library.
- All requests for secure stacks materials must be made at least 45 minutes before the library closes; items must be returned at least 15 minutes before closing. Library hours are available here.
- Laptops, silenced cell phones, tablets, flash drives, cameras, and audio recording devices are permitted in the reading room for notetaking purposes, but a quiet atmosphere must be maintained. The library staff also provide pencils and paper for notetaking. Researchers taking photographs of materials must adhere to the camera section of the library’s policy on obtaining copies.
- Personal belongings, including backpacks, briefcases, handbags, binders, notebooks, papers, and laptop cases, must be secured in the lockers outside the reading room. Food, drink, scanners, and pens are not allowed in the reading room.
- Individuals are responsible for determining and satisfying all copyright or other restrictions when using, copying, publishing, or distributing any material found in the library’s collection. The copyright law of the United States (title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Rights information for each collection is found in the Church History Catalog in the Rights field. Permission to use Church-owned materials is granted by the Church Intellectual Property Office. For more information, visit permissions.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Readers are to provide a picture ID and sign in and out of the reading room.
- Secure stacks materials must not be removed from the reading room, and materials from the open stacks cannot be brought into the reading room.
- Secure stacks materials are to be obtained from and returned to the staff member at the desk in the reading room.
- Hard copies of materials will not be made available when a microform or digital copy is available.
- Readers must follow handling guidelines when using library materials.
- Readers may request multiple items through the Church History Catalog but may view only one item at a time and may view only the items checked out specifically to them. When a box of materials is ordered, only one folder of materials may be viewed at a time.
Any questions regarding reading room policies should be directed to the Church History Library's reference employees at the library via Ask Us.