Frequently Asked Questions

Make a Reservation
Click here to make your reservation.

See photos of treks on our Facebook page!

Contact Us
Wyoming Mormon Trail Sites


How early can we schedule our trek?

Reservations for summer 2021 will being on September 1, 2020.

How much does it cost?

Each campsite has a per night fee based on capacity. In addition to the camping fee, you will pay a per person fee for each trek that you reserve. The “Trek to Martin’s Cove” and the “Trek at Sixth Crossing” cost $3 per person. The “Trek over Rocky Ridge” costs $9 per person ($3 plus a $6 permit fee required by the Bureau of Land Management).

Where can we find ideas for organizing our trek?

See Handcart Trek Reenactments: Guidelines for Leaders.

What training do we need to complete before trekking?

After registration, leaders of trek groups with 25 or more people will be emailed Trek Group Guidelines, which they are required to read.  They must then sign the Unit Leadership Agreement found in Trek Group Guidelines and return it to the email address found on the form to ensure they are aware of, and agree to, the parameters for trekking at these sites.

Within 24 hours of the Trek over Rocky Ridge, leaders will be required to participate in a National Historic Trails training at Sixth Crossing or Martin’s Cove.  Missionaries will give you information on times and locations upon arrival at the site.

How late can we register for a trek during the current year?

As long as there is availability in the site’s schedule, a group of 25 or fewer people can schedule a trek with a minimum of one week’s notice.

Will missionaries be with us the whole time we are on trek?

Missionaries are available to help you with your trek. They will meet you when you arrive at the site and assess your needs. They will walk with you while on the trail to help you. They do not camp overnight with trek groups.


How many people should we plan per handcart?

Larger groups are usually divided into “families,” with 10 people per handcart.

How many medical personnel do we need per trek?

In this case, trek refers to each group with a separate start time on the trail, with a maximum capacity of 150 people. If a unit or group is larger than 150 people, they must reserve multiple treks with different start times.  For each trek, you need 2 medical personnel for the first 100 participants. If you have more than 100 participants in one trek, you need 3 medical personnel.

Can we bring children younger than 11 on a trek?

Yes. There are no age restrictions.


Do we have any cleaning assignments before leaving our campground?

Yes. You will need to have your group walk through the campground and pick up all trash. You are also responsible to clean all the restrooms assigned to your group. Cleaning supplies are provided at the campgrounds.

What do we do with our trash?

We are a “pack in, pack out” facility. You must take your trash with you. After you finish your trek, you may dispose of your trash at a city dump in one of the nearby towns for a fee. Please do not leave your trash at any service stations or roadside rest areas.

Packing and Supplies

Can we pack only what will fit in our handcart?

Most personal items will go in your handcart. Sleeping bags, sleeping pads, tents, and similar larger items should be packed separately. You are responsible for transporting these extra items to your campground in your support vehicles.

How many five-gallon buckets will a handcart hold?

A handcart measures 4 x 4 ft. and will hold 10 five-gallon buckets and 2 large water coolers.

What size of flag can we have on our carts?

Flags can be pennant style or rectangular and no larger than 2 x 2 ft. The flag holders on the handcarts hold three-fourths-inch PVC pipe (scheduled 40 recommended). Flagpoles are to be no longer than 3½ feet.

Where is the closest grocery store?

Rawlins and Casper are 60 minutes from Martin’s Cove. Lander and Riverton are 40 minutes from Sixth Crossing. All have full-size supermarkets.

Do we need to bring our own water supply?

No. The well water in the campgrounds is tested regularly and is cold and fresh. We also provide “water buffalo”—large water-storage units on trucks that transport water to trek groups at Rocky Ridge and elsewhere as needed.


Do we need to wear pioneer clothing for trek?

You are not required to wear pioneer clothes. Dressing in period clothing may help set the mood of trek.

What kind of fabric is best for trek clothing? 

Natural fibers, such as cotton, linen, and wool, are best because they allow the skin to breathe. Synthetic fibers can cause the wearer to sweat more, which increases the chance of dehydration.

Do we really need coats and rain gear in the middle of the summer?

Yes. The weather in the area is unpredictable—a sunny day can easily turn to one with rain, hail, snow, or high winds.


Is there electricity in the campgrounds?

No. Please contact the site office if you need to charge something during the day, such as a medical device.

Can generators be run in the campgrounds?

Yes. Generators may run from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Can we use drones to take pictures of our trek? 

No. The Church’s agreement with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) does not permit drones to be used on BLM land. The Church also does not allow drones on Church-owned property due to safety issues.


Are semitrailers allowed for transporting items?

No. Semitrailers are not allowed. However, enclosed utility trailers work well.

Is parking available at the campground?

Yes. Parking is available close to your campsite.

Can we bring motorcycles or ATVs to use at camp? What about pedal bikes?

Motorcycles, ATVs, and bicycles are not permitted at camp or on the trails.

Do you have accommodations for transporting disabled people? 

We have several rickshaws (two-wheeled chairs with long handles for one or two people to ride in while being pulled by one or two people) available. We also have two wheelchair handcarts. Call ahead to reserve.


Can we bring musical instruments?

Yes. Small instruments, including harmonicas, flutes, clarinets, and violins, are recommended, as they are easier to travel with.

Are pets allowed?

No. However, certified service animals are permitted.

Related Resources