Indian Territory Mission
At a conference held in Salt Lake City on 8 April 1855 a number of missionaries were called to serve in the United States and abroad. Arriving at St. Louis, Missouri, on 26 June 1855, they opened the Indian Territory Mission. Five years later the missionaries returned home and work did not recommence until 1877 when a few missionaries served for a few months in the area. Finally, on 20 April 1883, the Indian Territory Mission was once more reorganized. It was renamed the Southwestern States Mission on 29 March 1898 then became the Central States Mission in 1904.
There were many other missions directed to the American Indians. In the early years of the church they were not organized as missions with presidents. In settling the West often individuals served unorganized missions as they fulfilled their duties in settlement. There were a few organized with presidents also all in April 1855. Elk Mountain in Moab, Utah; Las Vegas, Nevada; Salmon River in Idaho; Shoshone at Fort Supply, Wyoming.
Chronological history of the mission containing information about missionaries, members, and units, compiled from mission reports, journals, news articles, and other documents.
Reports contain information relative to the condition of the mission during the administration of Andrew Kimball.