- Birth Date
- 22 June 1817
- Death Date
- 29 January 1872
Company records indicate he was part of a traveling group of 15 persons. In addition to his wife and children, this would have included his parents. Further research is needed to determine who the others were.
- Age at Departure: 34
- Head of Household
- 1850 Missouri Census.
- "5th Company," Deseret News, 18 September 1852, 2.
- 5th Company of 50 report, 1852 September 14.
- Bell, Matthew F. to Dear father Mother Brethren & Sisters, 7 June 1852, in Bell, Robert, Correspondence 1852-1889, fd. 1.
- Charles Sansom autobiography, 1907, 12-80.
- Council Point Emigrating Company journal, 1851 November-1852 September.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1852, 32.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852" in Key to Migration Sources, Great Britain and North America: A Manual for Students Attending the Second Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar, June 19-23, 1967 (Provo: Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education, 1967), edited by Norman Edgar Wright.
- "William Joseph Westwood." In Biographical Dictionary of Well-Known British Columbians, edited by J. B. Kerr, 320-321. Vancouver: Kerr and Begg, 1890.