- Birth Date
- 24 December 1821
- Death Date
- 4 June 1896
Joseph was apparently born at at Bingley, Yorkshire, England. At the time of the 1850 United States federal census he was living with his family in Pottawattamie County, Iowa and presumably, personally cited Bingley, England as his place of birth and 24 December 1821 (the earliest birth date we have located for him) as his date of birth. When he was rebaptized at West Jordan, Utah on 28 March 1852, he cited the same place of birth but gave 1819 as his birth year. Bingley again appears in the membership records of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but here Joseph's birth date is given as 4 June 1821. The Find A Grave memorial for Joseph Allen of Springville, Utah includes the following birth date: 25 December 1818. By 1860 Joseph and family were living in Springville, Utah. Both the 1860 and 1870 federal census of Springville repeat that Joseph was born about 1819. This date also appears in the entry for Joseph in Family Tree.
At the time of the 1856 Territorial census of Utah, Joseph and his family were living in Provo, Utah.
All presently known sources give Joseph's death date and place as included here.
- Age at Departure: 29
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1856 Utah Census, Utah County.
- 1860 Utah Census, Utah County.
- 1870 Utah Census, Utah County.
- Black, Susan Easton. Membership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: 1830-1848 (Provo, UT: Brigham Young University, [1984-1988]).
- Find a Grave
- West Jordan Ward, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.