- Birth Date
- 3 April 1805
- Death Date
- 5 January 1887
John, his wife Primrose and family traveled to America on the ship Hartley arriving in New Orleans 28 April 1849.
- Age at Departure: 47
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1860 Utah Census, Tooele County.
- "3rd Company," Deseret News [Weekly], 18 September 1852, 2.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers. History of Utah's Tooele County: From the Edge of the Great Basin Frontier (Tooele, UT: Transcript Bulletin Publishing, Inc., 2012).
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1852, 18.
- Lee, Primrose Shields, [Autobiographical sketch], in Pioneer Pathways [1998- ], 6:392.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files, 1850-1887.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.