- Birth Date
- 9 July 1820
- Death Date
- 1 September 1877
John and Esther sailed to America in 1842 on the ship John Cummins. His travel to Utah is mentioned in his daughter's obituary.
- Age at Departure: 26
- Head of Household
- Bennion, Samuel R., Autobiographical sketch, in Biographical sketches, 1891- , reel 7, box 7, fd. 3, item 15.
- "Bennion Family Reunion," Deseret News, 8 Oct. 1907, 7.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers. History of Utah's Tooele County: From the Edge of the Great Basin Frontier (Tooele, UT: Transcript Bulletin Publishing, Inc., 2012).
- George Whitaker autobiography, undated, 31-37.
- John Bennion letter The Bennion Family of Utah, volume 1, complied by Harden Bennion (1931), 32-33.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 21.
- "Mrs. Spencer Rites are Set," Salt Lake Telegram , 28 May 1934, 6.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database