- Birth Date
- 4 December 1815
- Death Date
John William Coward
John traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the William Morgan Company in 1852. He was the Captain of 3rd Ten. He was rebaptized in Salt Lake City on 25 Oct. 1852 in the Fifteenth Ward. His wife, Johanna Whitaker Coward (born 25 June 1827), was rebaptized on the same day. It is not known if they were married at the time he traveled to Utah because she was not listed with him on the ship passenger list.
At the end of a mission, he traveled home with the John Hindley Company in 1855. He was a Captain of Ten.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 39
- Returning Missionary
- "13th Company of 50 report, 1852 September 25." In Brigham Young Office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1850-1852. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 17)
- “1st Company of 50 report, 1855.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 36)
- "Arrivals," Deseret News [Weekly], 5 September 1855, 205.
- Bowen, David D., Reminiscence and journal, 1845-1863, 23-26.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- "Extract from a letter from F. D. Richards to the Editor," Deseret News [Weekly], 12 June 1852, 62.
- Fifteenth Ward, Record of Members.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- "Interesting Correspondence from F. D. Richards," St. Louis Luminary, 26 May 1855, 2.
- Lawson, Joseph, Journal.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Morgan, William, "A Letter [June 22, 1852] to Presidents W. S. Phillips and John Davis," in Ronald D. Dennis, The Call of Zion: The Story of the First Welsh Mormon Emigration , 233.
- Morgan, William, "A Letter [September 20, 1852] to Presidents W. S. Phillips and J. Davis," in Ronald D. Dennis, The Call of Zion: The Story of the First Welsh Mormon Emigration , 234-35.
- Patriarchal Blessing Index, 1833-1971. (Closed to Research)
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852." In Wright, Norman Edgar, ed., Key to Migration Sources Great Britain and North America.
- The Mormon, 2 June 1855, 2.
- William Knox journals, 1847-1864.