- Birth Date
- 24 July 1823
- Death Date
- 21 June 1904
The Gardner family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Edward Hunter/Joseph Horne Company in 1847. The Gardner family included Robert and his wife Jane McKewen, and their children Robert Rierson, who died en route, Mary Jane, and Margaret. Robert’s parents, Robert and Margaret Callender, and siblings William, Mary Gardner Sweeten Luckham, and Archibald. The Gardner family’s travels are mentioned in the obituary of Robert’s daughter, Margaret.
FamilyTree lists her maiden name as "McKeown," but she wrote it as "McKewn" in the Book of the Pioneers.
Her birth and death dates are confirmed by the inscription on her gravestone and on the Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Age at Departure: 23
- Book of the Pioneers, 1:262.
- "Death of a Pioneer. Mrs. Jane McCune Gardner Closes a Well Spent Life," Deseret Evening News , 21 June 1904, 2.
- Robert Gardner diaries and reminiscences, 1857-1887, volume 4: 50-54, and volume 6: 61, 63, 65, 67.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William Gardner, Biographical sketches, 1891-2013.